Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
vBench

"Easy Pickins"

Hi Guys,

I've been working on this project for awhile and found that really cool build Alex put together with his Harley. Very impressive work buddy! My dio was going to be a comical scenario, but after careful consideration for the figures I have altered the concept as often happens in this Sport. So, here's what I've done so far.

I have the WLA42 from Italeri and the BMW R750 from Dragon. Trying to put these two in the same scene is a bit tricky, but I recon this will work out just fine. The BMW came with a figure and finding a companion GI figure was a bit rough, until I saw my Ranger figure from Warrior series half done on the shelf. Bingo Baby!

The base will be big and will require a structure, but that will come in time. I have already built the Harley and reworked the Ranger and I'm starting on the BMW. There aren't any reference books that I've found for detailed wiring, etc., so I'll be using pics from the web. If yall have a source that you can point me to I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's some pics to get up to speed. Any comments for suggestions please feel free to fire away.

Cheers, Ski.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0229a.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	5997   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0230a.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	5998   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0234a.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	5999   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0235a.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	6000   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0236a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	6001  

Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
vBench

more pics

And more pics to view.

Thx for watchin, Ski.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0237a.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	6002   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0239a.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	6003   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0240a.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	6004   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0241b.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	6005   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0246a.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	6006  

Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
vBench

Figure work

Here's a few pics of the alterations needed to make this Ranger more suitable for the scenario. Once again, feel free to comment and if yall see anything that needs attention, I'm all ears.

Cheers, Ski.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0251b.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	6007   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0252a.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	6008   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0257a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	6009   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0258a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	6010   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0259a.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	6011  

Old 02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
vBench

Finishing the Ranger Alterations

Here's the last few pics before I post the BMW. I know there's a few figure guys here and your comments are appreciated.

After the shoulder straps were remove and milliput added in the appropriate locations I made the new straps for the M36 bag from lead and sheet pewter. The buckles were made from copper wire smashed in a cable splicer and bent and filed. I can see I need a small vise mue pronto. I also hollowed out the collar to avoid having to line up the strap pieces under the collar, much easier and not much work involved. This was very time consuming, but well worth the extra effort.

I'm hoping to have this dio completed for the IPMS Seattle in April, but I'm not going to rush it. If I make it in time, far out, if now, oh well.

Thx for watching, Ski.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0261a.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	6012   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0262a.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	6013   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0263a.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	6014   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0266a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	6015   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0268a.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	6016  

Name:	_DSC0269a.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	6017   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0270a.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	6018   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0271a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	6019   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0272a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	6020  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM
vBench

Impressive work.

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Wow! looking great! Looks like you are going 'full on' with the wiring.

You have more patience with that detail that I will ever have.

I notice that the lower end on the motor is painted OD. I like that detail over painting it aluminum. I will consider that detail with the Russian v-twin.

Those large scale dioramas can be epic, I know and can take some time with the project completion.

You are on your way here with a cool diorama.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you very much.

PS: yes keep searching the net for reference photos. There are plenty there and that is where I mostly get my information from. I have a big book collection on military and vintage motorcycles and hardly ever crack them open anymore. In fact they have been in storage since I last moved and still in boxes.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwencho View Post
I notice that the lower end on the motor is painted OD. I like that detail over painting it aluminum. I will consider that detail with the Russian v-twin.

AWD

Thx for the lookover Alex. Yes, the reference pics show the main body of the engine in OD on almost all the pics I found. Finding the right wiring diagram was a challenge too. I tried to catch everything I could possibly think of. But what I really like about your Harley is the PE chain. I never considered it or knew they were out there and was thinking of filing and etching out each link.......then I thought not. I like your detail and wish I had seen it sooner, but there you have it. keep that puppy rollin, very sweet indeed!

I'll add more pics as I get further along, but for now it's hit the books time and finding close-up pics of detailed engine, etc., on that beemer.

Thx for the assist. Thx for the kind words Tim and thx for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 AM
vBench

Hey Ski,

It's good to see you on this site.

Motorcycle is coming along well and I commend the time and effort you are putting into making such an accurate model. I don't think I have the patience nor the skill to pull something like this off.

The work you are putting into the detailing of the straps looks awesome and is definately going to add a lot to the overall presentation of this figure. I also like the Thompson mag sticking out of the bag. Your work keeps getting better and better so I am eager to see the completed painted figure. It will also be interesting to see what you do with the German figure for the BMW.

Is there going to be a BAR somewhere in this scene to tie in the BAR pouches on the Ranger's belt? I know Rangers are hoo-ah and all, but carrying that much weight of ammo that is not compatible with the weapon you are carrying is nuts I can think of some instances where it may occur, but they may not be obvious to the general audience. Just something to think about. After being amazed by the detail you are putting into the straps, one of the next things I thought was, damn, that would suck having to carry ammo for both the BAR and a Thompson since both are kind of heavy compared to what we carry now. Maybe it is just the nutty way I think sometimes.

Great work!
Cheers,
James

Last edited by James O'Leary; 02-24-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
vBench

Hey Bro,

Hadn't seen ya in awhile, glad you're still around and about. I did finish "Knock and Talk" if you didn't see it earlier;
http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/...anistan.43033/

I know what you're saying about the M36 pouch/bag. We had lengthy dicussions with some of the guys on the other figure sites about this. I wasn't too keen on scraping off the BAR pouches and trying to resculpt the web belt, etc., so an M36 bag seemed the best solution. Plus many of the guys said a BAR on a bike is not cool to carry or stow. That's why the mag is hanging out of the pouch to lead the viewer to that conclusion. The concensus was the end result so far.

That German figure is going to be a pain to do anything with other than turn his head a bit more toward the Harley , which will be wrecked along side a ditch. Sorry Alex, it'll be alright, LOL! He's made of the vinyl crap, so I'll see what I can do with a bit of milliput and Tamiya putty.

I'll zap you an email James and get caught up Bro and thx for the comments, you know I can always use a third eye.

Cheers, Ski.

P.S. I wish I had taken more pics of the front of the entry team, kinda forgot that, doooeeeeee.......
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
vBench

Hey Ski!

It's been pretty busy with mobilizations, deployments, changes to such things, etc., etc. I did see pictures of the complete "Knock and Talk" diorama and I thought it was excellent. You really have a knack at capturing just the right colors for the field gear and uniforms.

Would you be able to empty out a few of the BAR pouches? That way you wouldn't have to file them off because like you mentioned, that would suck, but it would show he might not have the BAR in his possession, but may have retained the belt to keep his canteen available. Just a thought.

Sounds like the German Soldier is going to be a chore in itself. I hope it works out. I'll keep looking at this thread to watch your progress.

I'll try to email you in the next couple of days.

Cheers.
James
Reply With Quote top