Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM

WWII German Panzer Personal Weapons?

What would have been a typical personal weapon for a tank crewmember? Would they have pretty much used the MP-40? Would every crewmember in, say a Tiger I have had one? Any other weapons that they might have carried? I've read that the commander carried a hand grenade to spike the gun in case they had to abandon it. Would this have been out in plain sight, or would it more likely have been stored in a bin somewhere?

Thanks!

Semper Fi!

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
vBench

I beleive the personal weapons of the crew would most likely be pistols, if any. The coax mg's and ball mounts could be removed and used as well. I'm sure Mp40's were there, but not for everyone!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Macheinenpistole 40

I have a book with pics of the restored Bovington Tiger I, and there are two places in the turret that are labled for small arm storage: one on the back of the turret, to the right of the escape hatch, marked M.P. Next to it is a rack that says "M.P. Munition". The second place is on the left side of the turret, behind the commanders training gear that is labeled "Macheinenpistole".

So, thats what made me wonder what, if any, standard there was for small arms among tank crews. If I remember right, wasn't the M-3 "Grease Gun" a popular US tanker weapon?

Semper Fi!

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 02:15 AM
vBench

Every crew member had a pistol, and there were 2 or 3 MP-40s, usually... (and don't forget the Mg-34s)

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 03:27 AM
vBench

As Arthur (Ropi) said every crew member carried a pistol. It was usual practice among german tank crews to carry the pistol attached to a string around the neck (under the uniform). A holster on the belt would get in the way when getting in and out of the tank.

-Ambjoern

Last edited by amba; 06-25-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Reply With Quote top