Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Ok guys, I have not quit on this....... so here's my next update. I've been busy with the holidays and travelling and what not so I taking small strides but I have made some progress. My last update I had applied the filters and some general washes and some of the base colored scratches. I've seen applied the rest of the base scratches, rust scratches, some streaking and some dry brushing. The goal for this entire process was to keep the spots as small as possible. The larger areas of scratches were made up of tiny dots. Just trying not to have any "blobs" on there. Good thing about working with humbrol enamels for this is that if you slip up, you can just wipe it off with thinner and try again.

Obviously the bottom of this part does not show once its' attached to the hull . Here's a darker pic so that you can see more of the detail work.

Will probably go back and add some primer spots amidts the scratches and what not but I have not done that yet and may cover over/"clean up" some of it with the base scratch color as I may have gotten carried away in a few areas . Also, will probably do a little more spot washing to bring out some of the more prominent details. Still not sure how I want to approach the breach so any ideas would be appreciated.

The floor was drybrushed to try to simulate wear areas from where the crew would constantly be standing and moving around. This will receive some dusty pigments which will fill the recessed areas for the most part and then those worn areas will get a "rubb" with some graphite to simulate recent wear. The whole thing is a tad bit stark right now but the pigments, some more washes and some dusty airbrushing should bring it back to a more realistic appearance.

Still have to finish up with the ammo pouch, radio gear, seats and some other of the detail work before I can try and glue the fighting comparment together. That will be a pretty nice accomplishment for me on this one. Seems like as much in there as most complete models and this thing is really small. If I can ever get it "buttoned up" I have some pe fenders I can't wait to bend all out of shape and get glued on here! As always, love to hear what you guys think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 03:41 PM
vBench

OMG, pretty awesome paintjob!!

best,
Cadu Souza
Feel us shift, every move we trace
Hunt you down without mercy
Hunt you down all nightmare long
Luck. Runs!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Wow, nice chipping! My hat's off to you!

Cheers,
Johannes.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Przemo Send a message via Skype™ to Przemo
Great work My favorite marder

Keep us update Chad !

Cheers !

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 AM
vBench

Superb
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 AM
vBench

that painting is the dogs b******* i love the rust spots and scratches, keep up the good work
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
some real progress has been made......

Finally got in a groove and accomplished some major things on this build. First, and the most obvious, I've gotten the fighting compartment put together. This had made it especially difficult to photograph but I've attached several from different angles to try and get in most areas but it's just really hard to do...... Anyway, here goes...... Before I assembled everything, I have the breach parts and the "slides" a coating of humbrol metalcoat shiny steel and buffed that up to a pretty good shine. Can't see yourself in it but in scale it's not half bad.

I did a few more washes, added some oil stains here with the Mig stuff especially on the guns moving parts and thern off course pigments and some graphite on the floor where I had previously drybrushed (again, hard to see).

The water jug is a verlinden item that I had. Painted in panzer gray with the white cross. I took the liberty of spilling some on the floor for effect. Again, hard to see.

There is also a chain and towing clevis stuck up in there as well but I didn't really get a good shot of it.

Now, on the the hard parts..... I'm not the best with the soldering gun but I'm "ok" with it but these fenders were really a pain. The rear brackets were easy. I did this with the torch as I find that much easier and cleaner. Simple put a layer of solder on the bottom of the part and coat it with flux, hold it tight with the pliers in place and hit it with the torch. It melts the solder and sticks it in place with no visible solder to clean up. The front was done the same way but took several efforts to get right and in between each I had to wick out the old solder and clean up everything. The problem was that you can't really hold it in place like you need to and the joints on the fender sides like to come apart if you heat it for too long. Finally got the right balance of heat and it took. I went ahead and applied some solder the normal way on the front ones so they'd hold up with the bending. No use in using brass fenders without bending them all up afterwards So, here's what I got. Left the right side relatively unscaved but worded over the other side pretty good. Had several reference pics of these to go by and they were often in pretty bad shape.

The jack block was made with pop sticks. The thickness was pretty close to the kit part and I just had to cut them to size and put the seem under the center strap. Much easier to replicate wood with the real thing than with hard plastic.

I messed up the rollbar on the top so I've gotta make a run to CRM and pick up some brass rod to make another one. Has to be bent perfectly to fit in there and you con't really get any second chances...... Not a lot left to do really, Next update will probably be the finished build and then on to the painting of the outside. Love to hear your comments.........
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 09:09 PM
vBench

I see you're still truckin along

Bring it on

Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Mbronen Send a message via AIM to Mbronen Send a message via Skype™ to Mbronen
Cool marder! I like it!
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Looking good so far! Neat weathering on interior, I like it!