Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 PM
vBench

Come on guys, you can't go around justifying Blogger Hiroshi/DML comments by generalising that they are a chinese run company. Whether they are chinese run or not has no bearing on this issue.

There are other HK/Chinese manufacturers like Tristar, Trumpeter, Voyager, Lion Marc etc etc...and they don't behave the way DML does.

Also, there are those who believe Blogger Hiroshi is not Japanese and is in fact a fictitious name DML hides behind. DML has done this before and has been covered/exposed on another popular forum.

DML/Blogger Hiroshi can say whatever they want on MDFC (the fact that it is a read only forum tells you something, doesn't it) and they just make themselves look real petty and silly.

OK...that's it from me - back to my tauchpanzer.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 PM
vBench

well said lawrence!

if i have the choice between tristar or dml it's tristar who will get my bucks but this is not because of a blogger/propagandist on their payroll - it's because of the product philosophy (extra detail sets from CH for some 'smart' kits which is just foiling the concept) ... but that does not say i will never buy dml again ...

and have a look at the upcoming 'dicker max' anounced by dml and trumpeter ... trumpeter will be my choice

if i have the choice i will go for a competitor if dml's the only manufacturer offering a kit i will take it and give a sh** on what 'hiroshi' is blabbering (what i do anyway!)

just my 2cents

laura
Old 02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
vBench

Personaly, I think that blogger Hiroshi is pretty funny. If not cracked. It is disgusting that a company would behave in this manner though.

Laura, I completly agree that I'd take tristar over DML any day.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Laura, I completly agree that I'd take tristar over DML any day.
Am I the only one to see the irony in this ??
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 04:28 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Ok, I'm the odd one out here having not read any of this stuff by the blogger in question. What I'm curious to know is, if this may be a cover for DML, and if such underhand goings on have been detected before, what the heck do they hope to achieve by it ? From a purely commercial view point its got to be nuts ! Me no understand

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenskiold View Post
Am I the only one to see the irony in this ??

Well, you show me when tristar did either a Panther or a Stug?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Wow, this guy seems to pump folks up. For me, I must say, you guys give me great direction, and I don't even need the DML site. I love their models. Compared to what used to be in the 80's. Maybe, just maybe, this chump does this to get a rise?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by T140 View Post
Ok, I'm the odd one out here having not read any of this stuff by the blogger in question. What I'm curious to know is, if this may be a cover for DML, and if such underhand goings on have been detected before, what the heck do they hope to achieve by it ? From a purely commercial view point its got to be nuts ! Me no understand
Re: part of your question Ian. The thing is you can use the internet to talk up products without anyone knowing you represent a company or indeed having to splash out your marketing budget. It's called viral marketing. You can start the process, for example, by signing up as a member of a forum under an assumed name and talking up a product 'Hey, I bought this really great XXXXX, it's fantastic, real cheap and does a better job than anything else'. Or you might interject in a genuine product discussion and plug or defend your own product or talk down a competitors. Real people might add to the discussion and if you keep plugging you'll get sales.

An extension of this is called, colloquially, sock-puppeteering. Here you sign up to your chosen forum under two or more assumed names. Now you can start talking to each other, for example 'What's the best thing for cleaning such and such' to which you'd reply to your own question - 'Hey, good question I recommend XXXX'. Real people reading might add a few questions and so on and so on.

It'd be great to think we're all one big happy, honest family in the modelling world but where there's bucks to be made...... I hate to say this I'm now cynical and wary of any product or product reviews being talked up or down by people I don't know of or people hiding any associations they might have. Unfortunately, unlike in the UK for eg where you're not allowed to directly diss a competitors product in any media, all rules are out on the 'net.

Regards Billy Huang...ooops, sorry Andrew
Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Well, you show me when tristar did either a Panther or a Stug?
Exactly my point

Tristar, so far, has made only very few models - all of them German WW2 - so the choise between Tristar and DML is not so obvious as you made it out to be, is it ??

As a modeller, I need DML, they are the market leaders and trend setters right now, as Tamiya was 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2007, 03:30 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Thanks Andrew for the low down. I should have guessed of course that such things would be happening on the net, but I was happily bumbling along in ignorant bliss
The tactics you explained kind of make sense, and I can see would be tempting for some firms, but what a shame they have such a lack of confidence in their own products that they feel it necessary to do. It's all conjecture of course, but if a firm like DML, who could well be classed as a market leader did adpot these tactics then I feel that's pretty sad. They simply don't need to.

Reply With Quote top