Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
vBench

well as i remember i found friuls to be only 2-3 bucks more than modelkasten... 28 vs 30 euros or something like that... but for my jobless ass that's sprintcup, i'm staying in nationwide for now
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDan View Post
They mostly are KuK, but I can still make tweaks to them. The Bronco links are so delicate where they snap together that I'm reluctant to do anything with them. They look pretty good to me right now, so I might leave them be.
I had bought some new acrylic paint (black nickel, Martha Stewart paint line) and wanted to try it out on them so I painted a few links with it, let it dry, added some rusty pigment and hit it with some mineral spirits. I came back to it a couple hours later and the connecting pins on the links had melted! Oddly enough, I think it was the acrylic paint (or something in it) that did the damage, not the mineral spirits. Since then I've been handling them with kid gloves. But they do still have some flexibility to move around a bit. I'll wait till I'm done painting and weathering to do a final positioning.
denature alcohol will attack some plastics specially the diy store variety. i had the same problem with the dragon hertzer track when i used AK's track wash and the tracks became quite brittle and just did not want to be touch. sort of like the girlfriend after you marry her.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM
vBench

don't know what you're talking about and hopefully never will
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM
vBench

That paint must have some denatured alcohol in it....kind of a bummer because the finish on the tracks looked really good
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Dan,

I think i'd say there are two method of building tracks. One is you build the entire model without the track and you paint the tracks separately then you put the tracks on after the model is painted.

The second is you build the tracks when you build the model and paint it all together. What I have seen is that tracks like vynil, soft plastic and Friuls work great for the first method. However, with plastic tracks you get better results if you glue them all when you build the model and paint them in place. This allows you to fix them in place a lot easier.

I myself prefer this over doing them separately.

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2013, 10:00 AM
vBench

I've only done a couple models incorporating individual link tracks, and have yet to go about it the "right" way, until this one. Compared to an automotive or aifcraft modeling subject, armor models require, in my opinion, less detailed painting methods, and in the right places actually look better with a tiny amount of "slop" thrown in, so the thought of painting what is really a seperate component (the tracks), prone to a seperate set of weathering elements, is not too daunting.
Per my own preferences and methods I would like to paint and weather the tracks seperately, but I've found with these Bronco tracks that while that isn't impossible, the simpler, safer route is to paint them with the model.
Modeling is as much planning as it is carvng plastic and spraying paint. This is where, in my current state, I fail. When I kind of stopped modeling many years ago, thats where I was and what I would do. I'd spend nearly as much time planning and acquiring aftermarket parts as I would building the model. As you can all guess the results were fantastic. Now I almost feel like a brand new modeler all over again. Shaking the rust off those old skills has taken longer than I thought it would, but it's also about shifting my mind into a different gear, and believe me there has been some grinding!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKŁiNsKi View Post
well as i remember i found friuls to be only 2-3 bucks more than modelkasten... 28 vs 30 euros or something like that... but for my jobless ass that's sprintcup, i'm staying in nationwide for now
Yes, that's what I've seen too KuK...seems the Fruils aren't much more than the Modelkastens. I have not yet used either, though my Dragon Panther D has Modelkastens, and I think my Dragon Panzer IV might also. I used some plastic individual links on a t-34 1943, but I cant remember the brand of them. My other 1/35 T-34 STZ has individual link tracks as part of the kit, made by the kit manufacturer (Maquette). They look OK, but I have not yet assembled them so I can not comment on they're quality. If they are like the rest of the kit then....
I'd like to try Fruils at some point, but I admit their expense is ridiculous to me. I take issue paying as much or more for the tracks as i do for the kit, considering the kit probably already has nice tracks with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
vBench

i'm gonna buy friuls one time for one of next T-55's or T72's... and that will be it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM
vBench

I'd like to find a set for my 1/16 T-34. Other than that if I ever do a Tiger I might do Friuls on it, or maybe a Panther G. Otherwise I'm content with plastic links.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM
vBench

Petting the cat again

Well I've hit a couple snags with my 1/16 T-34, so I've come back to the Panther A. Also started on my Panther D, but no vBench on that guy yet....gonna wait till I've got some work really done to show.
I'd been putting off the monotonous task of assembling the left-side tracks for this, so I finally did that. I also had a challenge with the deck vent. It seems none was included in my kit, for whatever strange reason. I had overlooked it during assembly anyway, so I had to drill out the cast-on details and scratchbuild my own. Might not be 100% accurate, but gets the idea across. I've also been working on the little exterior details, spare tracks and hangers, etc. It's getting there...just gotta finish up a few more little exterior things and it'll be ready for paint and weathering. What a chore this thing has been, but in the end I know it'll be a very rewarding model.

Reply With Quote top