Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
vBench

Yes! KuK the photos in those links are 2 of the ones I've been using to look at details of those areas, especially the first one. Thank you my friend...I have those photos saved...dont know why I couldnt have posted them??? Alright guys...I feel better
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 AM
vBench

small update

Not much progress here, but significant. I have now decided I do not like the Bronco tracks lol! No, kidding, but they were very difficult to apply to the model. Well, the one side I have done so far. They kept coming apart, so I'd put a strip of tape on the length of them to hold them together, but then they werent able to articulate enough to slip around the wheels. So I'd take the tape off, pulling apart the track in several spots. Very trying, but I finall got one side on.
I also started on putting on some of the tool racks and spare tracks. I know this thing looks rough at this point, but trust me...It's gonna be a nice model when done.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
vBench

wrooom! =))
are those tracks glued now? cause on some areas track links are pointing up
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
vBench

They mostly are KuK, but I can still make tweaks to them. The Bronco links are so delicate where they snap together that I'm reluctant to do anything with them. They look pretty good to me right now, so I might leave them be.
I had bought some new acrylic paint (black nickel, Martha Stewart paint line) and wanted to try it out on them so I painted a few links with it, let it dry, added some rusty pigment and hit it with some mineral spirits. I came back to it a couple hours later and the connecting pins on the links had melted! Oddly enough, I think it was the acrylic paint (or something in it) that did the damage, not the mineral spirits. Since then I've been handling them with kid gloves. But they do still have some flexability to move around a bit. I'll wait till I'm done painting and weathering to do a final positioning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
vBench

roger that! =)
that's what happened to my panther... rubber and enamel don't mix very well =I
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
vBench

Your Panther G? The one with the cool tarps? I didnt notice anything wrong with the tracks on it. I have never had trouble with rubber tracks, but I do like the look of individual link tracks. This is only the second set I've ever assembled, so I've got some learning to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
vBench

yea Tarp panther enamel thinners and paints first softened them and then made them hard and fragile.. also they look a bit thinner now as if they shrunk =/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM
vBench

Yeah, they probably did. Enamel materials can do wierd things to plastic and rubber...I wasnt expecting to have a problem using an acrylic craft paint, but thats why I tested it out first!
As for the tracks on the model, the front section under the sprocket is flexible and can be pushed down to sag a bit, and most of the runs between the roadwheels on the bottom are also still flexible. I'd have liked to have painted everything first (tracks, roadwheels, etc.seperately from one another), but the tracks were so fragile that I just wanted to get them on the model and glued down before they fell apart like a stack of dominos!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 04:23 PM
vBench

how much did you pay for them? maybe only couple of buck more and you could get modelkasten or even friuls...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM
vBench

Cant remember for sure KuK....but i priced both modelkastens and fruilmodels before i found these, and i know it was about half the cost for these bronco's....they look really good i think, but are a little difficult to assemble...i think i'll do modelkastens from now on unless i can score some fruilmodels for cheap
Reply With Quote top