Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKŁiNsKi View Post
well... some guys actually make zimm and naked surfaces in different tones on purpose... naked in more semi-gloss tone and zimm totally matt while it's still same camo...
p.s. ... "oh just put it on who cares how it looks" in good way not in bad way! i've never seen perfectly applied zimm and you managed to copy it
I'm still not sure what is meant by this....my zimm and my "naked" surfaces, on the finished model, will be the same color and different colors, depending on what color of camo happens to be going over it...it sounds like you're talking more about sheen, and that the zimm, because of it's rougher texture, has a more matte sheen, while the smoother surfaces that do not have zimm on them cast a slightly less matte (or slightly more glossy) sheen? If that is what you are talking about, then I would have to agree with that, but I can't say that's what I'm doing here..yet. I'll just have to see what the model needs at that point.

And yes, KuK, I took your comment as a compliment....I knew what you meant, and thank you! That is part of what I was trying to achieve...I did it a little too well I think, but it was a goal to try and get that look, so dont worry my friend....i was not offended! Quite the opposite actually!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM
vBench

yea that's what it means, rough zimm surface makes camo totaly matt while on upper surfaces like turret tol and engine deck are smooth and greasy and so more shinny...

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...D/6490d52c.jpg
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...?t=5898&page=4
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM
vBench

Yes, I think I get what he and you were saying now KuK. I think Chad might be thinking this is my finish coat and color? It is not. The painted color in the photos is in effect my primer coat, though the upper surfaces that are not zimmed are not completely done yet either in terms of detailing, etc. I tend to bounce around in my projects, especially one like this where I am doing alot of experimenting with new techniques, rather than follow a set procedure. The top of the turret is basically complete, and from my research many Nazi tanks had an anti-skid material applied which left pronounced brush marks on the surface which is why I brush-painted the top of the turret which may be what threw Chad off?
I'm home sick again (nasty flu), but am going to try to get to my studio to continue some detail work and get this baby ready for final paint. I'm also still working on the tracks...almost have one side assembled. I like the Bronco tracks but they are very time-consuming to trim and assemble. Hopefully will have another post later this evening.
Thanks for the links too KuK!! Sergionex's Panther is amazing....love his zimm work. I have a question though...I see he fully zimmed the sides, even underneath the toolracks and extra track links. On the restored original Panther examples I have seen this is not the case. The zimm usually goes everywhere but where the tool racks are bolted to the sides, for obvious reasons. This is how I applied my zimmerit. Yet I've seen many fine models built as serionex did, with the zim underneath the racks. Is there a right or wrong to this?

Last edited by TankDan; 02-24-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM
vBench

that's dragons' panther with zimm out of box =)
i think what chad was talking about is that when you spray camo over what you've got now, you're going to end up with different results (naked and zimm we talked about before) so you can use primer before camo to get same tone/shine everywhere...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
vBench

Yes..I think I understand now. I'm not completely clear because I tend to agree with that technique of going "flatter" in some areas and more semi-gloss or gloss in others...i call it "sheening". It's really just a texture thing, but I think it can add realizm to a model, rather than the entire thing having the same texture. It's really neither here nor there; the model will be getting a slight primer coat anyway.

What is your take (KuKLiNsKi...or anyone else lurking) on the zimm being applied underneath the tool racks and spare track links, etc?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Dan,

I see you had quite a journey in selecting the material and the method for your zim, but in the end I think it came out pretty good.

I think you may have to clean it up in a few places but thats not a big deal.. and I know you are still working on it but one thing I would do is with a scriber or knife make sure you go over the edges of the driver's visor. You want it to look like a separate piece.

Keep up the great work!

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 PM
vBench

Yes, I'm with you on the cleanup...certainly needs that. Did you read in my most recent posts about whether or not the zimmerit should be applied underneath the tool racks and spare links? In nearly every actual example I've seen (photos of real Panthers in action) it appears it is not underneath the racks in those sections, however the opposite is true of most models I see. Is there a "right" or "wrong" way with this part of it? Thanks for taking the time!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDan View Post
Yes, I'm with you on the cleanup...certainly needs that. Did you read in my most recent posts about whether or not the zimmerit should be applied underneath the tool racks and spare links? In nearly every actual example I've seen (photos of real Panthers in action) it appears it is not underneath the racks in those sections, however the opposite is true of most models I see. Is there a "right" or "wrong" way with this part of it? Thanks for taking the time!
Dan,

Here is my take on it. Zimmerit was applied at the factory, so it makes sense that any equipment like tools and spare tracks would be off at the time of application. That is the reason most modelers apply zimmerit on the areas under the tools and spare tracks.

However, as things go wars are very dynamic and a lot of things change very quickly. I would say if you find at least one photo showing a tank without it, then you can model yours without it and it wonít be wrong. So donít sweat it.

I hope this helps.

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 PM
vBench

Cool...that's kind of how I look at it too, but you know how people can be really persnickety about something like that. I shouldnt let it bother me, but it does make me self-conscious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 AM
vBench

some pics of no zimm where tools are:
http://home.comcast.net/~szee1a/tanks/DSC_8561.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llede025_2.jpg
Reply With Quote top