Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 PM
vBench

Well I took a look through a reference or two and (I just got out of the shower so...) I think I did see the one on the left that TC aid was wrong , in one or two photos. I will look into it further as I too have this kit. Maybe there was an early type that was replaced ? This little blip shouldn't hold up your progressas you can always add these just at the end prior to adding the trax?
(edit: or maybe those return rollers in the kit are the later version.. )

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 02:28 PM
vBench

Most of the early models that I see seem to have the same pattern roller as the ones supplied in the kit. However, I did find this one shot of a zimmed jagdpanzer with what appears to be the return roller taken from the DML Mark IV J kit.

If there is an early and late version return roller, then probably not a bad thing to mix one or two in there. Give the vehicle some history and personality!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Andrew Hall

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuke Sowle@Jan 16 2005, 02:28 PM
If there is an early and late version return roller, then probably not a bad thing to mix one or two in there. Give the vehicle some history and personality!
As my ISP seems to have gone haywire, did you get my mail yesterday pm (so your am) re: those rock n rollers? One's a late J, the other's Ausf H thru' J.

Nice work with that tricky zimmerit (and I'm being sincere for once!)

These are good these VBench things, how much did you say I have to pay you for one again?

A
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 09:49 PM
vBench

Mr. Hall,

Yes indeed I got your informative email yesterday! Thank you very much for the info. Now I just have to decide how I am going to configure these bad boys.

As for the vBench, getting one is free. It is then up to you to find a photo host site. Kitpic.com has a free plan, a lite plan and a heavy duty plan. The lite plan is five bucks a month and probably is more than enough for most modelers. It also makes it a no-brainer to post pics on any site out there.

Stuke

Oh thanks for the words on the zimm. I think it looks just "OK", but we will get it refined by the time we move up the vehicle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2005, 11:04 PM
vBench

Hi Stuke !

nice work here buddy !

i love the idea of mixing the return rollers !!! i will have to open my box one day for this Jagd L70

anyway, for the zimm : when you"ll be on the upper hull, try to do it even more thin, from the picture you've posted of the real one, it seems that the guys were quite greedy with the thickness

cheers !
Franck
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 AM
vBench

Thanks for the kind words Franck!

Not much time for modeling this week and I can't fire up the compressor again, so I did a little bit of work on this kit.

As mentioned by Andrew, and hinted at by James, the return rollers went through some changes during this time period. I did decide to mix them up a bit as well as steal some Mark IV tracks from my Friul pile:

Here is just the RHS with the tracks roughly fitted just for an idea of the look. None of the roadwheels, sprocket or idler are secured at this time so the fit is a bit sloppy.

These tracks were for my StuG IV as well, but once again I will be robbing something from that kit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 10:42 AM
vBench

At this point I started to eyeball the rear fenders (not sure why). I have the Aber set for this vehicle, but don't want to use it on this model. Again, my intent was to not superdetail this kit. However, it had started to turn into more of a project than I had anticipated.

Looking at the kit fenders..well, they look like hell. So I decided to try and take the step from assembler to builder. Using the Aber set as a template, I began to fashion fenders out of some sheet brass I had laying around.

This is the bits for the process arranged on the table. Unfortunately, my camera does not take close ups very well, so I don't have much for detail shots.

This was my first attempt at doing this, and the first fender was crude. It was crap actually. The brass sheet did not bend well, and the Hold'n'Fold was not doing the bends for me. The second time around I annealed the brass a bit as well as scored some lines were I was going to make the bends. I was more successfull and ended up with this bit.

The edge is still kinda rough, so I think I will flip it around, drill the holes and use that lip as the outside edge. I do still need to add some supports and dig around some more reference shots to get a feel for the attachment points for the back fender. The Aber instructions will also be a big help in fabricating those parts.

I will only create one rear fender as this is going to be a vehicle that has seen some time out on the battlefields of the Eastern Front.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2005, 02:32 PM
vBench

Looks good and I think from my experience everytime you do something like this the skills will get honed..

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Andrew Hall

Stuke doing homemade brass?!! Nah! Too much time on your hands :lol:

Here's a shot of the rear flapper fixin's from Bovingtons Pz IV

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Founder

Sorry Andrew, Network 54 blocks linked images
Reply With Quote top