Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 AM
vBench

Normandy Panzer IVs

Hey have a look at this one-

From what I can tell with my limited knowledge and the help of Achtung Panzer, this seems to be a late H, of the HJ division. On the full size photo it looks like it has zim, at least on the rear, not sure if its visible in the one here.
A few questions, I may build this one-
Would the air cleaner be present?
Zimmerit on turret? I think I see some on the front, but not sure.
Looks like steel rollers, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 AM
vBench

Evan
Does the tank have the later forged road wheel hubcap on the last road wheel? I can't tell for sure in the photo you posted but it looks like it does.

If so then the vehicle has an interesting mix of the earlier type road wheel hub caps and the later forged hub caps. The hub caps were converted to the forged type in Sep 1943 and the steel return rollers and cast idler in Oct 1943.

The air filter was dropped in Feb 1944, 4 months after the introduction of the forged hub caps, steel rollers and cast idler making it quite likely that it had the air filter as the tank would be around the Sep-Oct 1943 production.

Looks like there's zimmerit on the turret front only and not on the sides. Also for the hull, usually there is no zimmerit on the upper hull sides as these Hs were issued with side skirts.

And yes those are steel rollers.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 AM
vBench

Hi Evan ,
i have some info on `837` for you .

Its is a H type not sure if its early or late and it belonged to the 12th SS Panzer Regiment and belonged to Untersturmfurher Jeran commander of the 3rd Section and was lost sometime before the 6th of july 44 .

I have a second photo of this vehicle from the front and it shows zimmerit on the front of the hull and the front of the turret and also around the sides of the mantlet of the gun. The turret sides and hull sides appear to be bare of zimmerit . I am pretty sure it has Steel return rollers from the photo you provided . The second photo i have `837` is still carring schurtzen so i am unable to check for the air cleaner .

I will post up the photo later on .

Hope this helps ,

Plushy

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `

Last edited by Plushy; 03-07-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 08:50 AM
vBench

photos of 837
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	136215938045eec2e977a22.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	847  

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
vBench

Plushy

What book are those photos from?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,
The photos are from `The Panzers and the battle of Normandy ` by Georges Bernage printed by Heimdal it covers the tank battles and movements from June 5th to July 20th 1944 it has some really good first hand accounts of tank vs tank combat . The ISBN :2 84048 135 9

Cheers Plushy

P.s i may have another photo of `837` somewhere but i have to remember which book its in .

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
vBench

Thanks Plushy Will keep my eyes peeled for it.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Plushy

What book are those photos from?

Lawrence
The first picture in this thread can also be found in Hubert Meyer's book "Hitler Jugend: History of the 12th SS Panzer Division" Volume 1. I believe it was originally a Fedorowicz book that is currently available pretty inexpensively from Stackpole books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 AM
vBench

Thanks Charlie-66

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
vBench

Thansks guys. I'm not sure I can make out the hubcaps, will have a closer look later. How about the muzzle brake? Can't really tell, I'm trying to figure out which Aber barrel to get.
Reply With Quote top