Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
vBench

Today I worked on the track grappler device.

Then it was on to the side step.

Here it is compared to the kit part. As you can see it is wider 0.96cm vs 0.84cm

The Aber step matches plans in Ground Power and Model Art (they are both by Kei Endo) and also Panzer Tracts.

But I am not sure if it is a bit too wide?

These photos from Achtung Panzer show that it is indeed wider than the kit part but is the step as wide as the plans?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 01:59 PM
vBench

A little update today

The track grappler and mount replaced by Aber PE
Before

After

The side step was a bit tricky to solder, so I made a jig out of wooden coffee stirrers. The jig on the left is for the jack holder.

I plan to have the side step folded down. Soldering the brackets to secure the step required a another type of jig. This time I taped the brackets, positioned the step and inserted a 0.3mm brass rod. I had pre-soldered the washers that go on either side of the brackets. Then all I had to do was to thread the washers onto the brass rod and applied heat from the soldering iron to melt the solder on the washer. And finally snip off the excess brass rod.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
vBench

Wow...not sure how I missed all this!

Excellent work! Looks like a nice kit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 02:10 PM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Nice soldering work Law! Ain't gonna happen with my "sausages"..

Cheers Mikko
Old 10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
vBench

Top class modelling here. I'm very tempted to try soldering myself.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 AM
vBench

Thanks Stuke, Mikko and Siim

I did some work on the brake access hatches. The kit's hatch sits a bit too high. See how the hinge doesn't sit down.

To correct it, I removed the lip on both the glacis plate and underside of the hatch (shown in red). After that I did a quick sand using Tamiya abrasives #320.

Now it sits perfectly!

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2006, 01:58 PM
vBench

A small update on the Tauchpanzer. I added the eight drainage holes to the rim of the cupola. To make sure I get the placement correct, I made a template.

The holes were carefully drilled with a 0.3mm drill bit.

It is important to make sure on the inside the drainage hole sits on the bottom of the rim.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2006, 01:07 PM
vBench

Question about the upper hulls....

Hello, Lawrence, I am enjoying this post tremendously. I see from your pictures that the new Tauchpanzer upper hull has better details than the straightforward Panzer IVD upper hull, and from what I can see there is no reason not to use the Tauchpanzer upper hull to make the regular Panzer IVD. It is the same hull from what I can see as the separate panels are what make the difference?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2006, 01:15 PM
vBench

Jorge

You are correct. If I was building a standard Pz IV ausf D, I would still use the upper hull designated for the Tauchpanzer.

The standard upper hull is from the original Pz IV ausf D (kit no 35015). The Tauchpanzer upper hull is re-tooled and updated. The only thing you need to add is the catch for the air vent covers. This is easy enough to make from brass or you can use Aber pe.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 PM
vBench

Great work
Reply With Quote top