Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
Sd.Kfz. 234/4 Panzerspaehwagen

New project guys.... Decided to go with a 234 for my next build and give it the business. Had a hankering for something without tracks for some reason. Anyway, I havn't done much other than give all the bits a once over but here's what I've got so far. The kit is the dragon one off course, went with the Griffin general PE set based on some of the parts that it contains that the Voyager one does not. Namely, the upper armor plating. Used their stuff before and it's pretty good with the exception of their tool clasps but I've got Aber ones in the tool box if needed. Picked up a couple sets of the Voyager "weighted" wheels in two different patters for an added degree of interest. They looks really nice, not worth the money but nice nontheless and will add a little something to the finished product and I won't have to deal with the halved dragon tires . Griffin barrel and muzzle break also and i've got the Voyager workable suspension kit ordered. I've read bad reviews on it but thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I have in my mind that I'd like to articulate the suspension as it would seem a shame not to on an 8 wheeler like this. We'll see how the Voyager suspension looks and then decide whether to go for a vignette base or not. Also have the Voyager fender set. Will be a pretty difficult job to solder these and make them presentable but again, going to give it a shot and see where it goes. The little reinforcing rib that runs along the bottom of the fenders is what gives me pause as it is very small and runs along the entire length of the fenders...... Anyway, that's all for now. I don't have the suspension set yet so I'll probably start on the Pak to pass the time until I can get into the running gear properly. Will give you guys an update when I have one worth presenting..... If anyone has any useful advice on building these I'm all ears. This is my first foray into the 234 series.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	2457
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	5475  
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chadperkins For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
vBench

Good Pick!

Looks like you'll certianly have your hands full with this one

Will enjoy watching your progress none the less

Collin
Old 12-14-2011, 05:11 PM
vBench

Plenty of goodies - nice start with this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

I have the Dragon Puma kit, so I'll be watching this with great interest!

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
vBench

pretty much finished up with the pak on this thing. was a lot more trouble than i anticipated building up the gun shield but it's on there and it's pretty freakin cool. looked even better with the spikes on it without the front plate mad max beyond thunderdome style. anyway, the barrel was not necessary as the kit has a metal barrel but i really like muzzle break on these so i couldn't resist the griffin upgrade.

with the business end pretty well wrapped up, i moved on to the interior floor and lower hull "stuff". i added some misc. junk in the front storage bin just to give it a little bit more of a lived in look plus it looks wierd to have an empty storage box. made the tarp/blanket or whatever you want to call it out of epoxy-sculpt. it's hard to see once the gun is on there but you can see to the front so i wanted to address that area. may throw in some other odds and ends later but that will be after paint.

so that's where i'm at so far. going to try to finish up the base interior and then on to the running gear which i got in the post on friday. until next time......
Reply With Quote top
Users like chadperkins's post!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 AM
vBench

I like the stowage box - it's almost like there is a cat under the helmet

super clean job !
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
vBench

Excellent work with p/e! Even became enviably) I want to ask what impression of wheels Voyager?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM
vBench

havn't really gotten in to them yet but i have found that several of them have a moulding issue where there is a sunken in spot on the outside of them all the way around. i'll get some better shots of them as i get into the running gear but it may be a problem. was hoping they would be ready to mount up out of the package but it doesn't look that way. i'm interested to see how the voyager running gear works out as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 AM
vBench

It is curious to look that will turn out, and as I have understood wheels with a different protector? I want to take such for a puma
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
My Car has Zimmerit

This is coming along beautifully. I'm looking forward to seeing how you paint the interior - again, because of my future Puma build.

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top