Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Chipped Paint

I've seen some very good examples on here of "chipped paint", but not sure how it's achieved. Some of the photos show chipped areas with what look like sharp edges, which is great, but how the heck do you do it ? Presumably not with a brush ?

Do you literally paint a mock primer on the whole kit and then take away the top coat where you want the chipped look, or apply the primer over the top cost only where required ?

So, would any of you good and very tallented chaps fancy showing me how.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM
vBench

Hey Ian,

There are many ways to achieve chips. One was is as you said, paint an under-color, then scratch off the top coat with your knife blade - a real scratch! In this same catogory your could achieve similar results by carefully using a masking agent over your primer base.

Another similar way is to not to worry about an under-coat, scratch the paint, then put a wash (drop) of color into the scratched area. For this I find thinned oil paints work best as it capilaries (sp?) or fills in the scratch.

Another technique, good for simulating lots of little rock chips is to use a piece of brillo pad, dip it into your chip color - not too much saturation, kinda like a "dry brush" amount of paint - then gently tap it on your surface. Be careful to make your blotting action random so as not to leava a "pattern".

Then of course there is the paint brush. It's not as sexy as some of the more exotic techniques but I've seen some fantastic results. This just takes a little practice with a fine brush.

And now there is the "hairspray" technique. Paulyrichard is about to use it on his KV-2 750(r) build - check out his vbench.

I generally use a little bit of each on my builds - not all scratches are created the same in real life, why should your model be any different.

Hope it helps.
Rick
ra
Oh, one more...you can get yourself some artists colored pencils and draw scratches. Lots of colors available.

Last edited by RickLawler; 02-14-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM

This is my salt method for paint chipping on a 76th JB 1 tonne Ambulance...

My Scale Model site ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Chipped Paint

The thing to remember about chipped paint on tanks is that it generally is a fictional artefact- in reality chips on armor generally do not exist, or at least not to the extent some modellers would have you believe. Look at photos of the real thing, you'll see what I mean. So any chipping should be minimal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
You got a point there Hogan. Some modelers go to an unbelievable extreme with the chipped paint effect and instead of a realistic effect they end up with something that looks like a toy. References are the best way to go always!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 AM
vBench

Thanks gents. I need to get hold of some old models and have a play about with these ideas then. Ross, how does your salt method work ? Results look good.

Hogan and Driver, yep very valid point. One thing that does bug me a bit is that models seem to get marked down in competitions if they don't look like they have been dragged through a hedge backwards several times ! Some of the weathering etc I see on models is excellent, but there seems to be a move to the idea that a model must be highly weathered and beat up. At some time in their lives all of these vehicles would have looked factory fresh, and I prefer to see a variety of vehicles states rather than all in worst "condition".

It would also be fair to say that you have to make allowances for scale. By that I mean that some effects that look good in 1:35 scale are not strictly accurate on the real thing. The over chipping on models is probably a good example. Depends of course what you are aiming to achieve.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 06:58 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
I think you guys brought up a very interesting point here. As Hogan and Driver said too much chipping is one of those modeling “myths” that have been created over the years. In real life paint chips are not that common on the outside of armored vehicles, the inside, well that’s another story.

The trick to make paint chips look realistic is to know where to apply them. I think Rick outlined all the method I use. The brush method gives you the most control, but the masking effect is really convincing too.

Just like everything, it takes practice.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
vBench

Heavy chipping

While this is not about technique - it is about application.

My thoughts is that this is an idea that took off when MiG started some of his very in depth projects - I remember a comment about him watching heavy construction vehicles and the aging that takes place on them.

The disconnect is that those type of vehicles are sometimes running for years - or even decades - vs. the few months that most (key word MOST) vehicles had after about '43. A Cat bulldozer? How many years do you think they keep those running before replacemnt. Ever been to a farm? Many current 1:35 builds look like vehicles that have been sitting on a deserted ranch in the American desert West for 20 or 30 years. Start small - and then compare it to the appropriate photos...

Notable exceptions would of course be the North African vehicles - or anything that had been through a white wash.

Dos Centavos,

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
vBench

Very good point Paul. Cheers for your input.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Smile Chipped Paint

Agree with MIGs role in promoting chipping in the hobby. While I certainly recognize his great contributions to the modeling, the chipping is a bit overstated.
I recently read another possible source of this fad (yes, fad). In recent times, maybe the early 90's, an Army of a small country (Iraq?) did use a very inferior paint on some vehicles. The paint wore and chipped terribly, and photos of these tanks floated around and into the hands of modelers, where it gave birth to chipping as we know it now.
Who knows?
Reply With Quote top