Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 AM
vBench

Stz t-34/76 1942

Well here's my dream armor kit! Finally got it! I've been eye-ballin this sucker for awhile. I typically buy one large-scale kit a year. I'm stockpiling for my retirement (23 years to go!). Though I already got my big kit this year, a Polar Lights 1/350 TOS USS Enterprise, I couldnt resist this thing any longer. I dont know when I'll get a start on it, but here are the basics.
I didn't count the sprues, but there are at least 7 or 8, 2 sheets of photoetch, a bag of springs and copper cable, individual track links that are boxed seperately, roadwheels are boxed seperately, as is the main hull. This kit has more bags and boxes than most kits have parts!

Here is the hull next to my 1/35 Tamiya T-34/76 1943:

Some shots of the hull welds and texturing. Cant decide if I like it or not. I know I dont like the dark green color of the plastic. All the interior pieces are molded in light gray.

Yippee!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-38920-1359185473549.jpg
Views:	1906
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	7296  
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 AM
vBench

i want one too! how much was it? here they are +100$ (+70€)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM

Right On!
I love the BIG-Ts

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM

Wow! You sure you want to convert that into an STZ tank? That's gon'a be a LOT of work! Sounds like a hel'o'va project.
How far do you intend to go with detailing?

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM
vBench

It was about $125 total, with shipping Kuk...I can give you the ebay seller if you like...I think the kit was actually $119, with free (or damn cheap) shipping.
Me too Alex...I dont know where the heck I'm gonna put it once it's done...it's huge! But I love big-scale models for the detail you can get engrossed in. Which takes me MCR's question. The kit is so highly detailed to begin with that it's gonna be tough to not try and take it a couple levels higher. I plan to go really far, as far as my skills will allow me, with the detailing. And I need to do some research, but I dont think this is too far off from a standard STZ T-34 already. I'll see what it's gonna take. Dont anybody hold your breath on this one though....it might be years before I even get a start on it, let alone get it finished!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Lightbulb

AWESOME, and welcome to the world of 1/16th!

I have both of the '76 T34 kits and will make ONE an STZ as well BUT... I might give up the challenge of making the turret a welded one as there were some STZ's with a cast turret. Also in a separate deal I secured more of the steel wheels and with the ones from the '43 kit it will have those nice wheels all the way 'round!

Also I want it to have the Barrikady Gun Mount and of course, the rectangular engine access hatch. Lots of work.

Let me know if you need any help.

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Ooo, well, actually, it's way off from standard STZ.
You see Stalingrad used "Model '41" type hulls right to the end but made a lot of modifications in order to make them easier and cheaper to produce. The most notable of those mods is interlocking hull plates.
So, in broad strokes, you need to completely rebuild the rear hull backdating it to the Model '41 standard, rework the glacis, side, upper, and lower hull plates.
Then you would need to source some 1/16 scale "internally dampened" wheels (the ones without the tire). You could get these from the "Model '43" kit the those are a later pattern than used on most STZ tanks and pretty awful in any case.
You'd also need to make some modifications to the turret.
More work still is needed if you want to show all that cool interior detail. Different air cleaner and different transmission to start. The fighting compartment is missing a bunch of detail, you should have 9 ready rounds and eight floor ammo boxes. Seats, firewall, all wrong for STZ (let alone any other wartime factory).
Then there are dozens of smaller details that would have to be addressed. Not at all an easy project (though it would be pretty damned cool! )

Now you could make an early STZ T-34 with far fewer modifications but you would still need to backdate the rear hull and glacis.

As it stands the Trump kit is a "sort'a" Model '42 from UTZ, though if I recall, the rear plate is closer to much later UTZ or Factory 174 tanks (only two rather than three hinges for instance).

I'm not writing this to discourage you! Just to give you a heads up about what you're getting into.
If you go ahead with this I'd be more than happy to share what I have on the beast!

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 AM
vBench

Thanks for the info guys. Most of it sounds pretty do-able...yes, alot of work, but I'm not really a straight-from-the-box kind of builder. I do have worries about the turret...if I have an accurate template to work from I'm OK, but if I have to wing it, it could be trouble. As I said, it may be years before I get around to this thing, so I have alot of time to figure out what I want to do.
MCR, I'd be more than open to any research materials you have. Thank you for the offer!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Lightbulb

I think as far as the turret is concerned, just taking the cast surface off, adding weld lines to it and an armored plate to the rear will get the point across.

Plus a bunch of details too.

~ Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM
vBench

That was my thinking too Jeff (Panther F). It may not be absolutley accurate, but close enough for my taste. I can't see any huge differences in the turrets, and as for the engine decking, the STZ style would actually be a fairly simple scratch.
Reply With Quote top