Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
vBench

Thanks, Ski. I really need to email you soon.

Two weekends ago I had the chance to work on this figure again. In these pictures you can see that the equipment has been painted, grenades painted, M16 painted (now you can see the bolt in the open ejection port), dirt on the uniform and equipment, and the boots painted.
I was really hoping to have this figure and perhaps the dead VC completed in time for the Lone Star Figure Show so I could at least have someone enter them by proxy, but unfortunately things got really busy due to the deployment, so this is as far as I have gotten. Perhaps I will have the vignette completed in the next few weeks so I can at least leave knowing I completed it.

I think this figure turned out fairly well. There were some things that I saw that needed touching up after I viewed these pictures. While touching up a fold on the right arm, a finger broke off the flash hider on the M16. After saying several bad words and failing to find the broken piece, I ended up taking a flash hider off another rifle and mounted it on
in it's place. It actually worked out for the better because I was able to hollow out the barrel a bit better than the one in these pictures.

When I get back from this planning conference that I am at, I will be working a little bit each night trying to get the vignette completed.

Cheers,
James
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James O'Leary For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 PM
vBench

The facial features came out great with the 5 o'clock shadow coming in and the boots look just like they should with the leather bearing through.

You tell a tail of may frustrations, one I can relate to. When doing my "Hue City" dio I broke dang near every barrel on the board and then some. So, I just sat down one day and produced chingos of em and had them at the ready for the next one to fall pray to the carpet monster. I sure hate that speckled gray, blue, black industrial carpet, should of thunk of it earlier, doooeee.

Looking great Bro, keep er rollin. Cheers, Ski.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
James great work as usual!

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Cool!
Thank you for the updates.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
vBench

Excellent figure painting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 PM
vBench

Hello All!

Thanks for the positive replies. I was hoping to get this done by the Lone Star Figure Show, but due to having to go to Camp Shelby for a conference that week, I was unable to attend the show and unable to complete this project on time.

Life has been pretty hectic ever since we received our extremely short notice for our upcoming deployment so the time available for me to work on this project has been quite minimal. Because of this, I opted to forego completing the dead NVA/VC that I had started to sculpt and sent with creating a wedge-like part of a dead VC to give the viewer the impression of a dead enemy Soldier while keeping within the limits of the base. Finally it is done! I wish it could have been completed by the time of the Lone Star Figure Show so I could have had my wife enter it by proxy since I had to be at Camp Shelby at the time of the show, but at least it
is finished. Unfortunately, this will be the last project I complete until I
return from deployment.

Below are pictures of the vignette from various angles and sizes. The American Infantryman is wearing the 2d pattern jungle fatigues and standard M1956 web gear along with jungle boots and a locally purchased ERDL camouflage boonie hat. The ejection port cover is still open and the bolt is forward after having fired some rounds at the VC that his unit came across while on patrol. It took a little while for the exchange of gunfire between forces ended allowing a pool of blood to start forming under the dead VC. He is giving the "thumbs up" sign to one of his fellow Soldiers to indicate that he made it through the firefight OK.

In the pictures you can see the exact pattern of the ERDL camouflage that I had copied directly from a boonie hat that my father brought back from Vietnam, the markings on the smoke grenade, dirt on the uniform, dirty scuffed up boots, exit wounds coming out the back of the VC, and the pool of blood forming under him.

The groundwork is terra cota miliput textured with an old toothbrush, paper jungle jungle plants from J's Work, and various dried flower and plant products from craft stores.

Here are the pictures.

Take care and have a great day.
Cheers,
James
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2015, 05:09 AM
vBench

Wow, this is brilliant, love the whole scenario. You have nailed it. Very very cool
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 02:56 PM
This model kills fascists

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism, the only issue I see with this is the deep lines on the soldier's face. It makes him look like he's in his 30s or 40s, when the vast majority of soldiers in Vietnam were kids. Rather than accentuating the lines, I'd try to minimize them. Otherwise it's a brilliant pant job.
Reply With Quote top