Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
vBench

Latest Figure Vignette WIP

Hello All,

With the Lone Star Figure Show just around the corner, I started working on a Vietnam figure vignette. This one will be titled, "I got him!" or something to that effect. Basically it is a US Infantryman standing over a dead NVA or VC letting the others in his unit know that he actually hit one and that he himself is OK/unhurt. The Infantryman is a conversion of several Bravo 6 kits. What I wanted to capture is that the uniform is a size too big, hence the once rolled sleeve cuffs. He is lightly equipped to show that the duration of the patrol is considered to be a short one. He is wearing the 2d pattern jungle fatigues which is evident by the epaulets on his shoulders. The ejection port cover of his M16 is open to show that the weapon has actually been fired. He is going to be wearing a locally made ERDL boonie hat. He is giving another Soldier who is out of view of the audience a "thumbs up" that things are OK.

This is the basic layout of the scene, except that I am going to reposition the dead NVA or VC so the head is facing the far left corner away from the viewer. He is going to be on a slight rise in the ground.

Here is a pretty decent view of the Infantryman.

Here is a view of the mannequin of the dead NVA or VC prior to fleshing it out.

Here is a side view of the GI and the dead NVA/VC. Notice the natural curve of his spine and neck showing fatigue as well as alertness.

Here are a couple of pictures of the fleshed out mannequin. Over the next few days I will be adding clothing and equipment.

I may add another figure or two, or perhaps not. It all depends on how much time I have available to complete it. I am trying to have it completed by the Lone Star Figure Show at the end of March, but if not, then at least by the start of summer.

Cheers,
James

Click image for larger version

Name:	JO'L.jpg
Views:	2176
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	5894
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James O'Leary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM
vBench

very nice work
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Scratchbuilt figures never fail to impress me. Excellent job !
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 AM

James, looking great.

Thank you for the post and looking forward to further updates.

Yes, see you at the show.

take care.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
vBench

Thanks for the positive comments, guys!

I hope to get to work on it some more on Monday since the unit I am assigned to has drill this weekend and I'll be off on Monday.

Alex, it will be good to see you at the Show in Dallas. Are you going to be at ModelFiesta next weekend? I plan on attending that show and visiting my parents while in San Antonio.

Take care and have a great day,
James
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM
vBench

Hello All,

Well, I did get to work on the figure some on Monday, so here are some pictures that I took yesterday afternoon. In these photos you will see that I changed the directional orientation of the dead NVA/VC. Also in these pictures one can see the trousers sculpted with Magic Sculpt. The putty worked well for sculpting the folds in the clothing and the working time was about 2 hours before it hardened to the point where the putty was no longer maliable. I thought it would have cured a bit better, and the reason I say that is that after the putty had cured, I thought I would be able to scrape or sand without chunks of putty coming off which was not the case. Perhaps I just didn't mix up the right amounts or mix it as thoroughly. I tried to correct some of the spots with Squadron Green Putty, but I do not have pictures of that yet.

In these photos I have the NVA/VC armed with an AK47. Last night I attempted to sculpt a chestrig, but it just wasn't working out, so he will be armed with an SKS instead along with an SKS ammo rig. I actually think that will work out better as I can show more of the shirt detail with a smaller rig.

Keep in mind that the groundwork will be built up and the body will conform to the groundwork so there will not be a gap between the figure and the base.

In this photo, I set the NVA/VC beside the US Infantryman to compare their heights in scale. As you can see, this is a pretty good representation of the differences in height that was normally encountered there.

That's all for now, folks.

Cheers,
James
Reply With Quote top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James O'Leary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 AM
vBench

I thought I recognized this work James. always love your work Bro, keep er rollin and I'll keep watchin.

Cheers, Ski.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 PM
vBench

Great sculpting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM
vBench

Hello All,

I've been pretty busy lately as my unit just received notice that we are going to Afghanistan really soon, so it has created alot of extra work in order to get the unit ready due to our compressed time schedule. We were originally scheduled for a deployment at the end of this year and that got cancelled, so this came as a surprize. Unfortunately, that leaves very little time for modeling and I am going to miss the Lone Star Figure Show because I have to be at some planning and coordination meetings during that time. What a bummer!

I am still going to attempt to finish this project prior to having to leave.

Here is how far I have gotten so far in regards to the painting of the American Infantryman. I still need to paint the rest of his equipment, hands, rifle, boots, and dirt. I painted the boonie hat in colors that very closely match a locally made green dominant ERDL camouflage boonie hat that my father brought back from Vietnam. I copied the camouflage pattern as close to the exact squiggles and splotches as I possibly could.
The following pictures show the figure from various angles as well as the boonie hat.

Hopefully I will be off this weekend so I can concentrate on finishing this figure so I can move on to the rest of the project.

Take care and have a great day.
Cheers,
James
Reply With Quote top
Users like James O'Leary's post!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
vBench

Another beautiful performance once again James. This is what you are famous for, makin recon figs and reconfiguring gear. Looks really good Brother.

I'm on hold for a bit, but I'll keep you updated.

Cheers, Ski.