Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Matilda Scorpion in progress

I've been researching the Matilda Scorpion Flail for several weeks now and came up with some interesting observations on the photos of 5 different flails.
The first 24 Scorpions were all made by South African depots and almost none were alike as they were made quickly and without precise plans.
Some had the control box on an angle to match the slant of the drum carrier, some were straight. Some flails used a Ford 95hp motor while others used a Bedford Ql motor. The Scorpion moved at a snails pace of 1.25Mph. The operator of the flail actually had to sit in the engine box behind the radiator. This would be quite dangerous with the flails beating. Sitting in the control box would also be extremely hot and noisy. There were different types of shields mounted just above the operators compartment to deflect debris, the smae went for the air intakes. later versions of the flail had the controls inside the tank and the Crusader air filter/intake mounted.
I've talked to several people whom I and many others believe are experts in the field and they agree with my conclusions regarding the operator.
Well enough of the history lesson and onto the model. The "I" Beams are temporary for the mock up.

Comments are most welcome. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm just trying to get some feedback on the look and setup of the model.
Sean
Canada
Reply With Quote top