Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-05-2005, 07:46 AM
vBench

Hi folks,

I've had this baby sitting on the shelf for quite some time now. Only the undercarriage and the gun completed. This past weekend I was in the mood for some big armour again, so I picked it up and have made good progress.

It's the Imperial Series Dragon late Jagdtiger:

It features transport tracks, but that just doesn't look too cool on such a big beast, so I've got Friuls for it instead.

This Jagdtiger unfortunately has been a poorly planned project, but I guess I will be able to pull it off somehow. First thing I discovered, was that the weld seams on the armour plate in front of the gun, really needed fixing. But this was only after I had applied a good bit of Eduard photo etch. Now, I have burred out the seams with my "dremel", and I've just started to apply thinly rolled Miliput to the grooves. (And without breaking off any etch!)

Next thing I discovered, was that the kit actually had two different rear walls for the superstructure, and that I (yes, you guessed it) had used the wrong one. Not easy to replace when everything is glued in place. Luckily the only difference was a few holes for a handle and one pilzen, so I corrected that easily.

Here's the heck plate, sans jack and jack block. These things were discontinued late in the war, as field repairs wouldn't be attempted anyway. The exhaust guards have received lifting lugs from the Modelkasten kit for Tiger I tracks. The putty stains below the exhausts are more evidence of lack of planning, as they cover holes in the plate that could have been filled with kit parts had I paid more attention to the instructions. Well, we all love the smell of putty in the morning, so who cares?

The kugelblende has received a tad of Mr. Surfacer to add some texture, since the rest of the superstructure comes pretextured in the kit. Quite nicely done, and I figured that it would look odd with a very smooth blende. Also, the head lamp has got its conduit and the weld seams are prepared for Miliput treatment.

The last concern with the kit, which shall _not_ be corrected, is the position of the idler. I have no image to show this yet, but when I test fitted the first Friul track, I discovered that the idler sits much higher that what I see in pictures. This is probably not due to incorrect positioning of the idler itself, but rather that the vehicle sits too hich on its suspension. But at this stage, correcting this would require surgery that is right out of the question, so I'll just leave it as is. But I'll keep it in mind for future projects, to investigate the sit of the tank more closely.

And finally, just to put the ridiculous size of this tank in some perspective. Here it sist next to my unfinished Panzer I Ausf. B:

Arild
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2005, 11:12 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Nice start Arild,

Keep it coming! Gotta love that BIG armour.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Brokeneagle

Quote:
Originally posted by astralscooter@Dec 5 2005, 07:46 AM
Hi folks,

I've had this baby sitting on the shelf for quite some time now. Only the undercarriage and the gun completed. This past weekend I was in the mood for some big armour again, so I picked it up and have made good progress.

It's the Imperial Series Dragon late Jagdtiger:

It features transport tracks, but that just doesn't look too cool on such a big beast, so I've got Friuls for it instead.

This Jagdtiger unfortunately has been a poorly planned project, but I guess I will be able to pull it off somehow. First thing I discovered, was that the weld seams on the armour plate in front of the gun, really needed fixing. But this was only after I had applied a good bit of Eduard photo etch. Now, I have burred out the seams with my "dremel", and I've just started to apply thinly rolled Miliput to the grooves. (And without breaking off any etch!)

Next thing I discovered, was that the kit actually had two different rear walls for the superstructure, and that I (yes, you guessed it) had used the wrong one. Not easy to replace when everything is glued in place. Luckily the only difference was a few holes for a handle and one pilzen, so I corrected that easily.

Here's the heck plate, sans jack and jack block. These things were discontinued late in the war, as field repairs wouldn't be attempted anyway. The exhaust guards have received lifting lugs from the Modelkasten kit for Tiger I tracks. The putty stains below the exhausts are more evidence of lack of planning, as they cover holes in the plate that could have been filled with kit parts had I paid more attention to the instructions. Well, we all love the smell of putty in the morning, so who cares?

The kugelblende has received a tad of Mr. Surfacer to add some texture, since the rest of the superstructure comes pretextured in the kit. Quite nicely done, and I figured that it would look odd with a very smooth blende. Also, the head lamp has got its conduit and the weld seams are prepared for Miliput treatment.

The last concern with the kit, which shall _not_ be corrected, is the position of the idler. I have no image to show this yet, but when I test fitted the first Friul track, I discovered that the idler sits much higher that what I see in pictures. This is probably not due to incorrect positioning of the idler itself, but rather that the vehicle sits too hich on its suspension. But at this stage, correcting this would require surgery that is right out of the question, so I'll just leave it as is. But I'll keep it in mind for future projects, to investigate the sit of the tank more closely.

And finally, just to put the ridiculous size of this tank in some perspective. Here it sist next to my unfinished Panzer I Ausf. B:

Arild
This is looking really great. I can't believe how much mod'd german armour you have in that last shot, all ready to go under the brush. Any chance of seeing some shots of the others as well?

Brokeneagle.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:41 PM
vBench

Wanna see the rest? Here you are:

Arild
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Brokeneagle

Have you got any finished yet?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
vBench

Well, the Tiger I Initial in there is finished (by my reckoning anyway), and I'm at the weathering stage with the Panzer IV D. Just a few minutes ago, I finished masking for some paint on the Panther A, so those two are getting there

I may put up some stuff on those here later.

Thanks for watching!

Arild
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by astralscooter@Jan 3 2006, 02:41 PM
Wanna see the rest? Here you are:

PICTURE ABOVE

Arild
Hi Arild,

Really impressive!!!

Just curious: where and how do you keep (I'm always looking for "safe place" for my WIP) your unfinished models ??

BTW, I'm closely following your Jagdtiger post since probably will be my next build...may I ask you a question? In your post you say that you used lifting lugs for the exhaust guards from the Modelkasten kit for Tiger I tracks: are there specific pieces or did you use something contained in the kit which resembles the lugs?

TIA,

Luca
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 AM
vBench

Been away from PlanetArmor for months, but maybe I'll stick around more often in the future. Always the issue of enough time on hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucatolo View Post
Just curious: where and how do you keep (I'm always looking for "safe place" for my WIP) your unfinished models ??
I keep them in the box, in a cupboard in the basement. Haven't had any accidents. Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucatolo View Post
In your post you say that you used lifting lugs for the exhaust guards from the Modelkasten kit for Tiger I tracks: are there specific pieces or did you use something contained in the kit which resembles the lugs?
The Modelkasten SK-2 kit contains lifting lugs as specific pieces, along with the side fender attachements you may want to use on a Tiger I, if modelling it with a fender or two torn off. These parts are selling points for what is otherwise a true nightmare of a track kit. That is, the detail is great, it looks wonderful when finished, but it takes forever to assemble. You could easily assemble a whole platoon worth of Friuls in the time it takes to fiddle together the Modelkasten tracks for one vehicle.

Arild
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
vBench

Hi Arild

Your JT looks good Do you have any updates on it?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 AM
vBench

I've finished the welds and mounted more PE and have finshed assembling the Friuls. Nothing much to see actually, but I'll shoot a pic and post it. As of writing, it sits on display in a smallish CD/DVD cupboard (with a glass door) that I managed to persuade my wife to put up

Arild
Reply With Quote top