Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-18-2014, 12:11 AM
vBench

Major stall on this and all my modeling projects....we boxed up my studio about a year ago to begin work on a home renovation....looks like it will be at least 1 more year until my new studio is done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDan View Post
....as long as the cyclon filters were found on some stz tanks i'm fine using them....
I got curious and went looking through the literature. Mikhail Kolomiets is probably the expert on T-34s. In Proslavlennii T-34 he lists the changes made at various factories over the course of production. In discussing the Tsyklon air filters, he gives a rather vague date, "first half of 1942" and list the filters as being introduced in production at UTZ, UZTM and Krasnoe Sormovo. The filters are not listed among the numerous changes introduced to STZ production, not in any of Kolomiets' books nor in Lagutin's Stalingradskaya tridtsatcheverka. My conclusion is that the Pomon filters were used at STZ until the end of production.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
. My conclusion is that the Pomon filters were used at STZ until the end of production.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Shoot, I though the blog had started up again.

But as far as the Pomon air filters go, that Kolomiets doesn't mention a start date for STZ adopting them would be a great jumping off point for inquiry.
But , there is good photographic evidence contradicting the notion that they never used the Cyclone filters. In this case I'm referring to nice clear photos of the intake manifolds through the open hatch of the engine deck "bucket" (the two that come readily to mind are late pattern hulls of KO'd tanks). Not only no Pomon housing but no provision for it in the manifolds. I also vaguely recall an image of another shattered STZ T-34 where there appears to be the top of one Cyclone filter is visible but I haven't been able to find it again.
Personally, I'm left with only two possible scenarios; Like every other manufacturer of the T-34 STZ did adopt the more efficient filter (likely) or they dispensed with an air-filter entirely in the last desperate days before the factory was overrun (less likely but I suppose still possible).

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 12:41 PM
vBench

I'm kind of with Mark on this one. While I like the idea of the Pomon filter because it is more characteristic of an STZ (or early) T-34, I think it is completely plausible that an STZ could have the Cyclone filters. Tanks were not collector cars that were kept in factory-fresh, like-new, unaltered condition. We're talking Eastern-front, WWII combat here, where improvisation was the order of the day. Perhaps an STZ survived long enough to see several engine swaps, and got the upgraded Cyclone filters along the way. All I'm saying is that I think the possibility for an STZ to be running around with Cyclone filters is completely believable, maybe even likely, and the fact that Trumpeter already designed this model to depict Cyclone filters has made my mind up. To my mind its not completely inaccurate. Its not like loading a P-40 Warhawk with Sidewinder missiles. It's a possible, plausible detail and the plastic is already cast to depict it, so I'm running with it.
The road wheels are another matter.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Ah, but here's the point; both the KO'd tanks I'm speaking of were unmodified late STZ: STZ turret and hull, STZ internally dampened wheels, and 550mm tracks. :-)
The first thing to go when these were rebuilt (other than by STZ) were those crappy wheels! ;-)
The thing about the Cyclone air filter is that not only was it more efficient at cleaning up the intake air, it also improved "breathing" increased horsepower and torque (or so I've read). It vastly improved the life and efficiency of the V-2 engine.
I'd personally be more surprised if STZ hadn't adopted it when everyone else did for those reasons alone.
Reply With Quote top