Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-20-2006, 01:49 PM
vBench

This is my second vBench post attempt.

I have been building the Tristar Pz IV Ausf C for the past few months. My aim was to build it as much OOTB as possible. I ony added MK tracks, some Aber PE and some styrene and brass bits.

It is ready for painting and I hope to complete it soon.

I welcome all comments. Thanks!

Some overview shots

This is the rear plate. I did not like the muffler straps and replaced them with styrene and added modelkasten bolts.

I replaced the kit fire extinguisher with one from Elefant Corp. The jack block was made from wood stock and the strap and clasps are from Aber.

Here are the spare track links. They are from Modelkasten set SK-57. This set comes with the shorter guide horns which is correct for the AUsf C. I added track pins made from brass wire. The kit tracks will be replaced by MK tracks.

My kit had a deformed front lip. To correct it, I shaved it off and replaced with styrene.

One of the side air outlet vanes was also deformed and I replaced it

The jack did not fit the brackets. I trimmed it so that it will fit.

I quite like the tool brackets and wing nuts. I used the plastic parts to see how they will turn out. Not as fine as PE but still looks good IMHO.

One of the major ommission of the Tristar kit is the lack of ribs on the mantlet. I think this is because of moulding limitation. I scribed the ribs on the sides of the external mantlet. It was quite difficult to keep a steady hand. Next time I will replace the sides. I also added the antenna deflector from brass rods. I am not sure how long it should be and kept it longer in case I need to cut it.

I drilled the drainage holes on the cupola. I still need to clean them. This is something that I notice is easily missed. All the DML and Tristar kits are missing this. I will post a photo of it soon.

Sorry for poor quality of photos.

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2006, 02:20 PM
vBench

This is the cupola with the drainage holes

Here is the list of fixes

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
vBench

Hi Lawrence,

I knew it is no a easy built kit...it looks nice and can'y wait to see it in painted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 12:54 AM
vBench

Thanks Marco

I was inspired by your C. Is it finished yet?

I screwed up the lower hull. Assembled it without the internal braces and got the alignemnt all wrong. I then had to pry the panels apart and re-do.

The rest of the kit was quite straightforward and had a good mix of detailing and standard kit parts. I decided against going the whole way on Aber PE as I wanted a quick build.

Cheers

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 01:32 AM
vBench

I would like to depict the Ausf C as a vehicle in the 7th Panzer Regiment, 10 Panzer Division.

Thepictures below are quite well known and have appreared in many books. It has the "L" shaped aerial deflector and blackout covers for the headlights. The vehicle below is number "432". As I do not have any spare blackout covers I will depict a vehicle in the same company, maybe "431"

The photos were taken from "The 10 Panzer-Division" book by Restayn and Spielberger.

The 7 Pz Rgt only had 18 Pz IVs for the French campaign (4 Kompanie had 9 Pz Ivs and 8 Kompanie had 9 Pz IVs).

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 AM
vBench

Great Work Lawrence ! I love the early War armour so i will be watching closely to see how this one turns out !

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 AM
vBench

wow looking good! i like all the added details, the scribing of the mantlet is a nice touch. one suggestion though, one of the chains on the smoke candle apparatus seems to be leaning away from the others? aligning them with the rest could l make it look more natural? still cant wait to see it finished! are you going to weather it heavily? those pics you scanned seem to have lots of mud on the running gear!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 AM
vBench

Looks good. Looking foward to see it under some paint.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 07:44 AM
vBench

Thanks Plushy, Olemanjoe and Panzergrenadier.

I am also excited about painting it. The last time I painted and weathered a German AFV was more than 10 years ago and I hope that I don't screw it up!

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hi Lawrence,

Nice job, I like the others will wait for paint.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top