Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-18-2006, 04:43 PM
vBench

Hi,
this is something to be done OOTB. DML has surprised me very positively as this is tank is just great! Their Ferdinand/Tiger I models were big dsappointments so this is a huge leap forward in details and quality.

I don't go through all the frets as those can be seen in DML web site.
Kit is a joy to build and here are few pics to show less than hour's work:

Well, even this kit is not perfect: flash to be removed and fit isn't 100 %. Front armor plate when glued leaves small holes to lower corners. Some flat parts have either pin marks or other imperfections that must be sanded. But all in all only small gripes.
Some of the parts are very small especially tools. As attachment points are quite heavy, you must be careful when cutting parts. I have added a handle to rear deck but nothing else.
There isn't PE parts included which is odd as DML includes PE shurzen in their StugIV. So as my refs for this tank are zero, I have to use guidance from another kit :lol: Other kit is DML's 1:35 JgPzIV L/70 Johann Huber version that has PE shurzen included. That is of course a bit doubtful but in this case acceptable

I took measurements from PE set and converted it to 1/72 scale with scalecalc.exe.

Next I will cut pieces from brass sheet. Plastic was another option but those might have warped too easily.

More to follow,

Niko
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM
vBench

Well,
as I go through instructions and model, more defiencies show up. Errors in instructions either locating parts wrong places or worse, missing parts. I have no pic now but there is no parts to lock the gun into it's place. Either you have glue it in it's place and loose vertical movement or sb a part for it.
Engine deck hatches are separate parts whih is very nice feature. Unfortunately when glued in closed-position, gaps between show too wide :angry:
Hull roof has two periscopes that both must be removed and remade. Also commander's hatch needs a periscope if hatch should be in open-position.
I really don't like Dragon's way of making road wheels. Using slide mold isn't very helpful as rw's still have cleanup to do.

Niko
Old 02-19-2006, 06:29 AM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Terse Niko! Looking forward your comments on this one, jagdpanzer is one of my favourites! Have been doing 1/35 dml IV/70 (V) and have looking ref photos from net. Doing that I noticed that in museum jp's have no thread plates on fenders! Only flat metal. Have you any idea of this?

Cheers Mikko
Old 02-19-2006, 07:55 AM
vBench

A small update. I decided to use aluminium for plates. As using 1:35 plates as reference wasn't much of a success as plates end up being too long. It's still easy to cut to corret length, height was good enough.

Br,
Niko
Old 02-19-2006, 07:58 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by MikkoH@Feb 19 2006, 06:29 AM
Terse Niko! Looking forward your comments on this one, jagdpanzer is one of my favourites! Have been doing 1/35 dml IV/70 (V) and have looking ref photos from net. Doing that I noticed that in museum jp's have no thread plates on fenders! Only flat metal. Have you any idea of this?

Cheers Mikko
Morjens Mikko,
good to see fellow countrymen here, too As my JgPz IV refs are zero, can't say anything about tread plates. All I can say is that museum pieces are often reconstructed afterwards so those tread plates may not be original.

Br,
Niko
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Brokeneagle

Comming along great Niko. I have never built any 72 scale armor so I am really enjoying your step by step progress.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:00 AM
vBench

Location: Somewhere near polarbears, reindeers and Santa let loose on Arctic circle..
Try to dig myself out of figures and do some armour also. Also tried to look wartime photos but the angle is wrong to confirm thread or not thread.

Cheers Mikko
Old 02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
vBench

And as soon as I digged out possible pics from web, I came across with this:

It shows first plates to be higher than following ones. So I have to redo first plates This means that PE set for 1/35 scale for JagdPanzer IV is nearly useless...
Mikko, I'd say that JgPZ'd did have tread plates. I have Doyle's drawings of Zwisghenlosung that has treaded plates included.

Niko
Old 02-19-2006, 08:41 PM
vBench

Hi Niko,

It's COOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 AM
vBench

Some painting done. Mix of Tamiya Dark Yellow + Flat Yellow. Paint will be very light so washes and filters won't darken it too much.
First roadwheel caps taped:

Painting done

Sorry about the quality of pics.
Next road wheel painted with very dark gray and rest of the parts glued in place.

Niko