Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
vBench

Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Well here goes....hope I'm doing this right per forum rules. I trust you'll all let me know if I dont?

I'm starting my vBench page with the projects I'm working on right now. Perhaps at a later time I'll delve into my old, "finished" projects, but whatever forum I'm a member of, whatever the subject or genre, I love build threads, so I'll try to make this as informative as I can. Now I know there is some really high-quality, hi-tech, super talented people here, and I dont think I'm in the same league, but I can do some stuff, and despite being perhaps somewhat lacking in technical skill and knowledge, that doesnt mean that I might not have a trick or 2 up my sleeve that the Old Masters havent seen yet.
I dont have time to post photos today, but this blog is gonna center around my 2 current workbench projects. I've never done any German armor subjects, but I'm currently working on 2. One is a Dragon Pz. IV, the other a Tamiya Pz. V.
The Dragon kit is a splendid bit of work...tons of detail, I'm assuming super-accurate, and even a bit daunting. I'm pouring my skills and creativity into this one, scratchbuilding a 50% interior, and have plans to make this a very nice representation of a Stalingrad Pz. IV to go with my STZ T-34/76.
The Tamiya is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. It is a very old kit (1969 cast into the bottom of the hull!), and very lacking in detail. I'm told it's also quite inaccurate, and while it builds into a nice model, it's not really a "serious" piece. I'd had plans to try and fix what is "wrong" with the kit and build it into a highly detailed, highly accurate Panther, but I think I've decided to let a turd be a turd, and just build a nice model out of it. I'm thinking of going with a Battle of Kursk theme with this one, to go with my other T-34/76 softedge, also a Tamiya kit.

I'll get build photos up as soon as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130419_174927_430_zpsbe4365cc.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	7702  

Last edited by TankDan; 04-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
vBench

looking forward TankMan =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 AM

PHOTOS?

Great start to your vBench with all the information on the upcoming build(s).

With that, it is required to post at least one photo along with the vBench start.

If no in-progress photos are not available at this time then at least a photo of the 'box art' or a photo of 'in the box' will be fine for now.

The photo is for the thumbnail to show up in the cover page of planetarmor.

It is the responsibility and goal of management to keep all the title spaces of the cover page filled up with corresponding forum photos.

Any adjustments in posted photos can be made at a later time.

Thank you

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
vBench

A cover photo, at least

Yes, I understand, at least one photo. Having breakfast at the moment, but here is a quick one of my Pz. IV, and i think a good cover photo. I'll get some more up once I get down to the studio.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM

TD,

Looks like your off to a good start. What variant is it of the IV? I just recently got an Italeri kit of the F1/F2/G kit to go as a companion piece with my Tamiya T-34/76 model 1942.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
vBench

Thanks sigma!

Thanks for the words sigma. My Pz is an F1(F), but I'm thinking of actually changing that matter too. I'm still learning alot about German armor an all the variations. I like the look of the longer gun on the Pz. IV, but I want it to be an earlier model, say late '42...so would I need it to be an F2? Mine is also a companion to my STZ t-34/76. Some more pics below:

The Dragon kit doesnt come with an interior, and I didnt want to wrap $100-$150 into this kit buying and interior kit, engine/trans kit, etc, so I'm scratchbuilding a partial interior. It's not 100% accurate, but I think at first glance a German tank commander would say it looks pretty OK. In my research I havent seen 2 panzer IV interiors that seem to be exactly the same...seems there were alot of differences, probably between the different variations, but I'm using a large amount of artistic liscense here.

Here's how my crummy old Tamiya Panther is coming. I decided that the old floor plate had to go...the giant "tubes" for what I'm assuming axle shafts passed through were giving me nightmares. I'm not a super-stickler for accuracy, but these just made the model too toy-like.
So I removed the floor and built a replacement from sheet styrene. With that I also made a top plate to hold the hull sides together while I cut the floor out, and this piece will fill the gap underneath the hull sides. I also removed the front lower hull panel (bow keel??) and made a new one that mates much better to the bottom edge of the glacias plate. This one is gonna be some work.....

I'm kinda on the Panther right now, but I'll keep tinkering with the Pz. IV. I'll post more when I get some work done worth showing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM

Wow, very nice work.

I reviewed by references i've collected on-line over the years and I found I actually have a scanned copy of the FSM article on the Tamiya kit accuratizing. I had that kit a few years ago and was planning on doing a similar conversion and some one gave me thier scanned copy of the magasine.

I chickened out and never attempted the conversion and sold the kit on ebay.

I see your well on your way into it but if you'd like to see it for ideas (it includes a template for the turret) let me know.

Last edited by sigma-7; 01-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
vBench

Heck yeah!

Oh hell yes I'd be interested in some of that info! Especially on the turret...I was thinking of scratch-building a turret anyway...something about this one just doesnt look right. Thanks for the offer!

The deeper I dig into this thing the worse it gets....I see what everyone was talking about. None of it is "major" in my opinion, but it's just crappy fit everywhere, poor design, not to mention the inaccuracy aspect of it. Oh well...it'll look like a Panther when I'm done. Thanks for the encouragement and help! More pics below, but I'm off to work soon, so I probably wont be back for a day or 2.

I removed the front mudguards, and you can sure see where the Nazi's got their inspiration for the Panther...T-34 on the left:

I filled the rear axle slots with a block of plastic, and I'll putty and sand to clean this area up. Been looking for photos of this area too to try and accurize it a bit:

Look at those gaps...you could fly a B-17 through there! Really?!

Bottom side of the radiator housing/storage bin area. It's actually shaping up OK. This model will be as much CA and putty as it is plastic, but once it's all painted and weathered can you really tell a difference? It's cool.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Excellent! and thank you.

Looks like a great start.

Looking forward to further updates.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
vBench

Thank you Alex

And sorry...I seem to be a bit of a problem child for you ! I'm learnin the ropes though...thanks for your patience
Reply With Quote top