Old 06-17-2006, 04:30 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Bates@Jun 17 2006, 07:03 AM
Hi Mike,

Mineral spirits, white spirits, turpentine, paint thinner , I believe is all basically the same stuff.* And the fancy names model paint companies give their products like airbrush thinner, brush cleaner, is the same as paint thinner or turp, etc.... then there is laquer thinner, for metallic paints, and clear coats.* Hope that helps.

Larry
I have thinned matt clear coat with White Spirit. One just has to be shure to work quickly. At first it mixes well but in 10 minutes or so begins to form a jelly at the bottom of the cup. I learned it the hard way with my old cheap airbrush. Luckily I managed to clean it. Not going to attempt it again.
Live and learn. :lol:

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2006, 04:57 PM
vBench

Siim,
It really does sound like a thinner to paint ratio to me. When you change over to the more advanced airbrushes, 50-50 mixes just aren't enough. I run about 80: 20 or 90: 10 through my double actions. It takes a lot more passes to get a solid coat of paint, but it is more than worth it. To me it sounds like your brush is drying out at the tip as you use it. What pressure are you running at as well? Around about 25 psi is the trick. As a higher pressure will make the tip dry out faster as well.
I have found that everytime I have changed to new airbrushes it takes about a week or so to get all the factors right. You just have to keep trying. If you do change something, do it one factor at a time. Test the brush on a piece of paper and if that does not work try something else. To be honest and I know you have said you didn't want to get a moisture trap but they really are worthwhile.

Regards

Mic B
Old 06-17-2006, 06:38 PM
vBench

Actually Ive never thinned my paint more than 50/50 and never had problems. I use mostly Tamiya and occasionally Humbrol and Vallejo.

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Siim,

Is your matt clear coat testors? if so you need to thin with laquer thinner! That is why you are getting a gel consistency to it, it is laquer based. Also, clear coat can be thicker than regular enamel paint, and take even more thinning. Also, 25 psi is probably the max you should spray at with enamels, especially thinned down to 80 or 90 percent thinner.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2006, 05:09 AM
vBench

Larry,

The matt clear coat was Revells (or was it Humbrols, can't remember). Haven't used clear coats for quite a bit now. (Haven't gotten any work up to that stage.)

And I usually work at 25-10 psi. The thinner the lower.
The weird thing is that I managed to do one colour of the camouflage on my FLAK and then cleaned the brush and the next day the bad things started.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hmmmmmm,

Well, it seems, by your comments that you are having a paint, or paint mix issue. As, your paint starts to spray fine, then clogs at the tip, and the clear forms a gel in the bottom of the cup. It sounds like you may be using the wrong thinner, or your paint has gone bad. If you live in and area that is very humid or damp, this may have an adverse effect also. In which case you should get a moisture trap, or wait for a dryer time of the year to paint.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2006, 03:55 AM
vBench

Hi,

Yes I think I have to buy some stronger thinner. I think my hobby shop has the Humbrol kind.
I will stick to spraing clear coats with my old cheap airbrush.

Siim

Reply With Quote top