Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
vBench

AFV Sd.Kfz.11 + leFH18 Build Log

Hello all,

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is John martin and I currently live in Fort Mill, SC. I have been a model railroader for some time and recently decided that I did not have the space for trains that I really wanted so I decided to jump into plastic modleing, specifically armor. You would think that a retired USAF guy would like the planes but the armor and diorama stuff is much more up my alley.

I have picked up a couple kits at the LHS recently and have found that the kits nowadays are nowhere near what I remember as a kid. I got a Dragon "Vorpanzer" kit and the AFV Sd.Kfz.11 combo kit and all I can say is WOW!!! I did start on the Panzer kit first and decided that I would change tack and start on the leFH18 today. The Panzer was just a bit much starting out. I found out the hard way whe I royally screwed up the running gear. I got things put in wrong and glued them completely immobile I will have to contact DML to get a new set of A sprues so I can fix the problem.

I will start up front with saying I know absolutely NOTHING about armor, historically or personally, and as a complete newbie my initial builds will be OOTB and in a paint style recommended in the box.

There is nothing to post yet but should be today. I am working on the kits over my lunch hour since I am taking classes in the evening. That gives me a solid hour each day to make progress.

I look forward to comments and if there are any questions please let me know.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Hi John,

welcome to PA! Feel free to ask any question you want to have answered. I think you're in good hands here. A lot to learn from very talented modellers from all over the world!

Johannes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
welcome aboard both the site and to the hobby. look forward to seeing your progress and as previous poster said, feel free to ask questions as i'm sure someone will have an answer for you or know where to get it....... now bring on the pics....
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
vBench

Thanks for the welcome all.

Here are some initial thoughts on what I started today:

1. Started work on the gun assembly. There are some EXTREMELY small parts to work with. I have noticed that cleanup is a bit difficult on some of the smaller parts in order to avoid breaking them and hard in tight spaces on some parts.

2. Really look at the instructions before you cut out a part. On one piece I cut what I thought was a sprue that was a portion of the part. I got it fixed but it should have never happened.

3. I could really use a magnifier with a light. My eyesight is pretty good but some of these parts are difficult to see properly.

4. Tweezers. I have a couple pairs but each time I try to use them the part slips out. Any ideas on how you all avoid this I would appreciate the info.

5. Micro brushes are your friend LOL

6. Look for ejector sprue on the back of some parts or cleaning it off later is really hard LOL

That is about it for now. I'll get the camera in a bit and take a couple pics and post.

WIP
AFV SdKfz11 + leFH18
DML PzKpfw IV Vorpanzer
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
tweezers are for the birds IMO, get yourself some good flat nosed pliers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
vBench

OK, here are just a couple pics of the work today at lunch.

Not the best but OK for a first shot at this stuff. I think I'll head to the store tonight and pick up some small pliers and other assorted small scale tools to help with the building.

WIP
AFV SdKfz11 + leFH18
DML PzKpfw IV Vorpanzer
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 PM
vBench

Hi John
A pretty nice choice I have to say. It was one of the most enjoying models I built. Sadly "someone" dropped it when trying to dust it (Boy, did I get mad that day...) The only thing left of it are pictures.
Have a look here http://www.pirespreto.com/?p=663
It's a build log that may help you along the way.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
vBench

Thanks Antonio. I ws just browing your vBench on this kit and yours looked wonderful. Sad to hear yours bit the dust (no pun intended). It was simply stunning. I was also on your website and looking at the build log for a minute before I started class tonight.

I was surprised to see how much was completed prior to painting. It seems that virtually all of it was colored in a base coat except for a few parts. I also like how much of the half track you completed prior to painting.

I am looking forward to getting back on this tomorrow at lunch.

WIP
AFV SdKfz11 + leFH18
DML PzKpfw IV Vorpanzer
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 12:31 AM
vBench

Talking

[QUOTE
. Sadly "someone" dropped it [/QUOTE]

mine got dropped as well must happen alot with this kit it happened to a mate as well

as for the tweezers thing grow a couple of long fingernails works fine even with the smallest pe parts
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM
vBench

The long fingernail thing grosses me out LOL I did file in some grooves on some of my tweezers and that has help as lot so far.

WIP
AFV SdKfz11 + leFH18
DML PzKpfw IV Vorpanzer
Reply With Quote top