Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 AM

How do you display your finished pieces?

I've noticed everyone posts photos of their finished pieces in their build threads, but rarely in a "real world" displayed environment.

I'd love to hear how everyone displays their finished work, and photos would be great.

I'm trying to source small acrylic display boxes that would fit 1/35 scale armor. I'm thinking of using something made for 1/18 scale cars.

Does anyone have an idea for this or a source? What do you use!?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 AM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Well easy for me. I do not display them, yet. Long ago I displayed them in a shelf. Just a regular cupboard but I am thinking of getting a glas cupboard form IKEA. The tanks it self would stand on wooden sockets from producers like sockelshop.de.
Hope that was a answer how I disply mine?!
Kindest regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Hi Ebbe ,

Yes, IKEA has many display cases to choose from. I think keeping dust off the model is of top priority for me, so I need some kind of "sealed" option.

I have noticed in the past, though, that those display cases will allow a small amount of dust in over time. I think you need to seal the kit up inside a plastic or glass box of some kind.

I was wondering how people solve that problem.

Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
vBench

this is how i do it
excuse the mess and shoddy pics and yes thats planet armor on the 46" TV lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0311.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	2190 Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0312.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	2191
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM
vBench

a couple more pics, its abit on the full side atm (mostly unfinished )

Name:	101_0315.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	2192 Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0325.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	2193
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Jim: One simple solution might be to order Tamiya displays. They inlcude the sockel and the hive made out of plexiglas. A more expensive solution might be to first order the sockel that fits your model and then let a professional make the hive, from perhaps a aquarium shop?!
No-mans-army: Like your display. Just a smiliar I was thinking off. I like the IKEA with the non wooden sides just metall legs and glas.
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
vBench

this does the job, but i just wish i got the bigger one. originally it was for displaying pistols but no_mans_army has taken over lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for their responses...

I sourced a company in Ohio that will make an acrylic display "box" in just about any size you want.

I like the idea of boxing each model individually. Then you can put the display boxes anywhere, like on a shelf. Doesn't have to be in an enclosed space.

I like that tall, narrow IKEA display case by the way. Looks cool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Brokeneagle

I have a glass cabinet but I also get a perspex clear top, custom made for the larger ones.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM

I lucked out and found a commercial-grade display case from a jewelery store that was remodeling and putting in all new cases. The case is 5' wide x 5' high x 20" deep. The sides and top are glass, the front is two bypass style sliding doors, and the back is a single large mirror. There are two small florescent lights along the inner upper front corner.

The sad part of the story is that the guy had 3 identical ones. I thought "oh, this one is plenty big enough, and where would I put the other three?" so I only grabbed one. About a week and a half later I reconsidered and went back to see about the other two, but he had broken them down and tossed them the day before...doh! Still kicking myself about that one...

The pic of the big case isn't the greatest, since the mirrored back picks up the mess that is the rest of the basement in it and makes it look a lot busier than it really is.

Most of my armor stuff is on the left side, most of the wingy things are on the right side although the one shelf on that side has some random figures, sci-fi, and such. There are a few in process things in there (like the Scud missile in the lower left) that don't fit in my smaller case.

My first case that I picked up is a smaller case of basically the same design but only about 24"h x 20"w x 10"d that I use as an "in progress" case too. This one I use for stuff that's mostly built and/or being painted.

As you can see, I build a bunch of different stuff and usually have quite a few projects going that I work on until I either finish it or get bored with it and resume it later. Currently, on the top shelf there's a 48th Hasegawa A-4E/F Skyhawk, the Bandai Gundam sci-fi jeep kit (NICE kit!), the Verlinden river barge and Italeri MTB, plus some 72nd tanks. The middle shelf has a Wolverine figure, a Panther F, a 72nd AAVP, and a 350th Typ VII uboat. Bottom shelf has a half-painted E-100 and 88mm Flak 36.

I found the smaller one on Craigslist. I see display cases on there frequently, but they are usually of the base cabinet/counter style, which IMHO would only be good for models if you mounted it on top of another cabinet or bookshelves so that it's closer to eye-level. Prices vary from $50 to several hundred or more, but it's a good place to start--mostly they're in the for-sale/business section but once in a while you see them in the for-sale/general category too.

Regards,
Curtis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4620ww.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621ww.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	2200