Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Sorry to say there are still some issues: No one knows so far if the ammo box is a field mod or a standard equipment (We have only a complete 234/4 so we cannot compare), Kagero´s book plans are correct but it looks like you´re not following them (look at the blueprints, please: Two shovels on the front left fender, pick and axe on the left front fender, fire extiguisher and wire cutter on the front part of the stowage box); I have at least three pictures showing the straps (Or their remains) for two jerrycans behind the right fender stowage box so I trend to believe this was a standard fitting and finally the rear rack for the cleaning rod should be behind the hull lifting hook or instead the cleaning rod wouldn´t fit or it should be too short for a L48 (the Kagero plans are plainly wrong here)...See the picture below for the last:

by the way, you´ll have a problem with stowage, Italeri´s fenders are too narrow and it won´t fit easily.
Siento que parezca que pongo pegas, pero después del magnífico trabajo del interior me parecería una pena que te equivocaras en el exterior

Last edited by FJCabeza; 11-17-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Rick, Marco, John, Laz and FJ; thanks for your comments and suggestions, they are always welcome. Now I'm going to answer the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCabeza View Post
Sorry to say there are still some issues: No one knows so far if the ammo box is a field mod or a standard equipment (We have only a complete 234/4 so we cannot compare), Kagero´s book plans are correct but it looks like you´re not following them (look at the blueprints, please: Two shovels on the front left fender, pick and axe on the left front fender, fire extinguisher and wire cutter on the front part of the stowage box); I have at least three pictures showing the straps (Or their remains) for two jerry cans behind the right fender stowage box so I trend to believe this was a standard fitting and finally the rear rack for the cleaning rod should be behind the hull lifting hook or instead the cleaning rod wouldn’t fit or it should be too short for a L48 (the Kagero plans are plainly wrong here)...by the way, you´ll have a problem with stowage, Italeri´s fenders are too narrow and it won´t fit easily.
Siento que parezca que pongo pegas, pero después del magnífico trabajo del interior me parecería una pena que te equivocaras en el exterior
FJ, as you already said: "No one knows so far if the ammo box is a field mod or a standard equipment." According to the Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two the amount of ammo carried in the car was 12 rounds. That's what makes me think that the ammo box was a field modification. Concerning the shovels I tried to follow the blueprints but as you stated "Italeri´s fenders are too narrow and it won’t fit easily." I tried to put the two shovels in one fender but there was no way for them to fit in there. So I ended gluing it to the other fender; Look at it as a field modification. As for the jerry cans, I already have two with their brackets ready to be glued on the right fender because even if the blueprints doesn't show them the area looks too plain. And as you might know every bit of space that could be used was used. I'm going to check some other references for the cleaning rod before changing its position.

No te preocupes, yo se que tu intención es ayudarme a hacer un mejor modelo.

Now to the model...

I was about to install the headlights in the fenders when I realized that the ones that comes with the models are terrible so I decided to make new ones from brass. The base is from the Eduard set. Here’s the result.

And here they are glued to the fender as well as the horn.

I also put the wire cutter in its place above the tool box. Thanks to Dave for lending the clamp for this project.

That’s all for now. Thanks for viewing.
Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 AM

Cuando hice mi "aborto" me encontré el mismo problema y lo solucioné dejándolo sin algunas herramientas, sólo los enganches...Que por cierto eran de la época de "antes de los fotograbados"; por eso aprecio tu sistema de construcción, creo que se ha perdido la diversión del "hazlo tú mismo" así que dale fuerte y acaba este modelo que es toda una lección de modelismo puro.
When I did my failed attempt i simply left off some of the tools leaving only the clamps...It was a converted 234/3, as I started it BEFORE Italeri´s 234/4 was released ...And never was finished

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 05:40 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Gopher
Looks great Ruben!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 AM
vBench

Great brass headlight...Ruben
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
vBench

I like what I see!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 PM
vBench

It looks impressive!

Regards!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 12:58 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Great Job on the bosche lights Ruben.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 03:41 AM
vBench

Greta work as always Ruben .

\Erik
Old 11-23-2007, 10:12 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Let there be paint!!

FJ, Andrey, Marco, Siim, Luiz, Laz and Erik, thanks for your comments. I’m glad you like it.

FJ, why don’t you finish yours? Seeing how far you have come with it I think it’s a shame to leave it unfinished!

Well, after my last update I changed the position of the rear cleaning rod holder as shown in the photo that FJ provided. (Sorry that I forgot to take a photo.)

Next the second part of the fun began: Painting. First, the primer. Right side….

Left side….

Then the paint itself. I used Polly S Panzer Dark Yellow for the base coat and Forest Green and Burnt Sienna from Plaid, with a little cream color added, for the cammo stripes. Again, right side…

And left….

Here you can see it with the gun and wheels in place.

And a top view.

Now, the weathering begins!

Thanks, and see you soon.
Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top