Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Well Ruben,

I have to agree with James, I think the kit hinges look better. It was always one thing that I disliked about edward pe, that it seemed they filled there sets up with stuff that is flat in detail and many times not as good as the kit detail.

That being said, your scratch work is as always insane, and uh, like Ricky said, I believe you might be "touched"

Keep it up.

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
James, Dave, Marco, Rick, Andrey, Giacomo, Abdin and Larry. Thanks for your comments, they are really appreciated.

Giacomo, yes, the PE is from Eduard.

About the offending hinges; they were removed from the model and the original ones glued in place again. Yes, I might be crazy but if I weren't there wouldn't be much fun in this. Don't you think?

I'll post some photos soon.

Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Hola Ruben,

If it is not too late, add a tight screen from underneath to replicate the real thing and help block the view into the engine compartment. Look at the latest Aber sets for inspiration. no need to buy the set but to get an idea of what to do...

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 05:02 AM

I would replace the rear armor plate also. There were no vision ports there, instead the plate could be folded by means of two hinges.
I supose italeri used Munster´s "restored" 234/4 as source...
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
vBench

It really is amazing how you have the will power to add so much to the old old kit.

Are you planning on a base too?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Hi

I hate myself for saying this, but you have the rear drivers area quite wrong. First of all, there is no dashboard what so ever there, second the small vent screen to the right of the rear drivers position is from the old sdkfz 231. Also, you have the radio set and the box it stands on wrong too. I know, it is not very polite of me to tell you this at this point in your build, but I just couldnt help it - sorry.
The rest of your build is very impressing. As for the battery area, the only thing we know for sure is that there where two batteries, but how they where located, side by side or end to end we do not know for sure. Personally I believe they where end to end.

All the best and good luck with the rest of the project. If you need any reference, send me a mail off group and I may be able to help you. BTW, the Kagero Photosniper is by far the best reference book when it comes to pictures.

Torben Nielsen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Nielsen View Post
Hi
I know, it is not very polite of me to tell you this at this point in your build, but I just couldnt help it - sorry.
You know I really wonder sometimes... aren't we posting our work here to share with others the process. And as I can attest , sometimes we learn from other people's mistakes. I really think that worrying about hurt feelings(not saying this about you Driver, you took my suggestion well) while a noble ideal shouldn't take precedence for actually getting it right. I really am not one of these poly-anna dogooders that will pat someone on the back and say everything is great when it isn't. About the nicest I can be is just to not say anything if it seems beyond the pale or if the person is not open to honest constructive criticisms. We all learn way more from mistakes than if we get it right all the time. I think there is plenty of room at planetArmor for honest , respectful open discussion about peoples posted work. I mean we all take our chances when posting progress shots and if one is only looking for accolades and "Atta boy"s perhaps pA is not the place for you. I for one appreciate the errors that you,Torben, and others, have pointed out , it helps me be aware of things that I may not have been aware of.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 09-12-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Thanks Siim. And yes, I'm already building a base for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCabeza View Post
I would replace the rear armor plate also. There were no vision ports there, instead the plate could be folded by means of two hinges.
I supose italeri used Munster´s "restored" 234/4 as source...
Cheers
Well FJ, you made me go over some of my references with a magnifying glass and I noticed that you are right so I will redo the rear armor plate. (Can you send me a photo where I can see the hinges?) I was using this photo as a reference in which you can see the rear visor in the plate.

But now that you mention it I think that this is the Munster's vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben Nielsen View Post
Hi

I hate myself for saying this, but you have the rear drivers area quite wrong. First of all, there is no dashboard what so ever there, second the small vent screen to the right of the rear drivers position is from the old sdkfz 231. Also, you have the radio set and the box it stands on wrong too. I know, it is not very polite of me to tell you this at this point in your build, but I just couldnt help it - sorry.
The rest of your build is very impressing. As for the battery area, the only thing we know for sure is that there where two batteries, but how they where located, side by side or end to end we do not know for sure. Personally I believe they where end to end.

All the best and good luck with the rest of the project. If you need any reference, send me a mail off group and I may be able to help you. BTW, the Kagero Photosniper is by far the best reference book when it comes to pictures.

Torben Nielsen
Well Torben due to the little reference I have about the interior is not surprising that I committed some errors in the construction. About the dashboard and the vent screen I trusted the instructions of the Eduard PE; after all they mention two book as references for the kit as you can see here so I thought they were ok.

I won't be so trusty in the future.

About the radio and the box I don't know what you mean by wrong. (Position, orientation, style? In the posted photo the radio is not glued yet.) But I can show you my reference.

This is a photo of the 234/4 at the Patton Museum. Sorry about the quality but this is a scan of a page I printed long ago. Here you can see the radio arrangement.

I tried to buy the Kagero book but couldn't find anywhere, if you know where I can find it let me know, after all this won't be the last 234 that I'll build so the more reference the better.

And thanks for pointing out those mistakes guys; now I can do a better job.

Ruben.

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
vBench

I guess this is what makes working on these older kits so "special"....keep on swinging Ruben, you can do it!

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben Nielsen
Smile

Aloha

The sdkfz 234 is, at least to me, the most interesting armored german vehicle. I have been interested in it for years and spend a lot of time digging for research material. I have quite a lot of pictures from all three survivors and have to tell you, that the Munster vehicle is incorrect in many ways, so dont use it for external references. For instance they mounted the air intake on the enginedeck upside down and the fenders are a rebuild and mounted wrong. The Patton vehicle, though in a poor shape, will provide you with a lot of interesting details, eg the only remaining seat and the only original muffler.
The 234/4 differs from the other 3 variants in the fact that it dosnt have the same fuel capacity. The main fuel tank was removed to make space for the 75 mm gun. This means that the 234/4 is limited to the two secondary fuel tanks located along the (in)sides of the engine compartment, containing 70L each. The missing tank make some details come to light that was mostly covered when the fueltank is in place. This include the two levers that open and closes the armored covers of the air intakes, but also what I believe to be an auxillary fuel pump that was located in the corner to the left of the rear drivers position. You can see both details in the picture below.
As for the radio mount, I couldnt see that it wasnt gueld in place, but the small cabinet it is standing on isnt correct. I dont have a picture that clearly shows this cabinet as it is mostly hidden by the gun mount. What you see below is what I got (Dragon got the cabinet completely right in their kit). Right behind the radio rack, there is the mounting plate for the transformer, laying flat ontop of the cabinet.
The left side door dosnt have a handle. Why this is so I have no idea, but it is a detail present on all three survivors. It is simply a bar that runs across the door.
Another small detail, missed by Italeri and on many scale drawing are the fact that the rearmost hinges on the two engine hatches on the deck isnt located directly opposite to each other. Again, there seems to be no logical reason for this and it means you have to produce two different hatches instead of just flipping on to the side it was needed...
When you get to the painting stage you should notice that all 234/4 where factory painted, and to make it easy all vehicles had the same camo scheeme. In fact all of the late war vehicles, sdkfz 234/1, /3 and /4 where painted with the same scheeme. there are slight differences but the shape of the patterns are close to being identical. Try and compare pictures that shows these late war vehicles (identifyed by the late style fenders) and you will know what I am talking about.

Ok, that will be all from me for now. If you have any questions just ask )

Torben Nielsen

I SUPPOSED THIS IS WHERE THE PICTURES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, BUT I AM UNABLE TO UPLOAD ANY OF THEM. IF ANYBODY CAN TELL ME WHY THIS IS SO, I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO KNOW
Reply With Quote top