Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 03-16-2015, 04:28 PM
vBench

What happened to PA?

This used to be a kick-but modeling forum. Now it seems like nobody is ever here anymore. Half the forum sections haven't seen activity in months. What happened?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Brokeneagle

Unhappy I agree

Where is everybody?
I have been away for quite a while but this place seems like a ghost town now....it used to rock in 2004-2010.

Brokeneagle
Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 PM
vBench

Yes it did......I didn't come in until 2012, but it was rockin good at that time.....now there is nobody here
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2015, 08:29 AM
vBench

It's a shame, because this was one of the forums that got me back into modelling...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 AM
vBench

So true Rob, in fact I never have really found a replacement. There are others that are OK, but not nearly as good as this one. Its like someone turned the lights off and sent everybody home
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
vBench

I wonder if the recession has finally bitten ?

I'm more into 1/6th scale, and come here for inspiration on the fantastic armour build threads, but I've always been amazed by the number of visitors. I'm used to seeing four or five people browsing a forum, but even now there are 178 visitors on line here. I wonder how many of them are trolls though ?

Looking at the stats, there are 3,327 actual members, but only 101 active members, but I don't know whether you need to post to become active or for how long you stay active.

Adrian.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Publisher -KitMaker Network

Like most sites there needs to be some members or admins who are the driving force behind a site. When Alex took over the site he was that guy for a while, but since I acquired the site it has slid downhill in terms of activity. I accept the blame for that however I am just the 'tech' enabler here much like I am for Armorama/KitMaker. This site is here for you guys to use as a resource/community and unless people interact there is not much of a site, etc.

That said many forums have been hit pretty hard by the 'new age' of Facebook. I think it's sort of a shame really because while there are MANY people on this forum browsing past blogs and posts, who is on Facebook looking at 3 year old posts? Yeah... it's not so great at that.

FYI I am considering a forum update for this site which would allow much easier blog and photo posting. I would be a lot more inclined to spend money on the site though (about $250 for that update) if there was some leadership/moderators that wanted to try to restart the engines so-to-speak.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM
vBench

Well I for one do not hold you alone responsible for the decline of this site ....if anything the opposite. I commend you for trying to keep it going. While I agree that Alex was, for a time, the force behind this site. He was almost a fatherly figure to many of us, always full of encouragement and had a nurturing way. He was also a tremendously talented modeler and artist, and a huge source of inspiration for me.
But.
One man alone can't bare the entire weight of a site/project/entity such as Planet Armor, nor should he. It is, by nature of being an open forum, a community, and therefore reliant upon the participation of it's members for success and survival. The members are the forum. As we seem to be witnessing, without involvement from the members the site will wither and die. I hope this is not the fate of PA, and if it is , then Jim is not to blame here. The membership is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM
vBench

I don't think the recession had anything to do with it. I first found the site during the worst of it, and while I think it was slowing down at that point, it was still humming along pretty good. For me, I think the recession actually served to,rekindle my modeling activity; without funds to spend on more expensive hobbies I returned to modeling.
I do think that what Jim said about Facebook and other social media becoming more prevelant taking its toll on web forums is true. I for one don't see a functional overlap for social media into the realm of the forums. They are 2 distinctly different species in my opinion. But I do agree that they have had an impact.
And how do you find motivated people to act as moderators and such? That whole side of things is foreign to me. I'm not volunteering, as I think I'd be horrible at it and simply do not have the time to do it credit. But yes, we do need active, motivated people to fill those roles again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2015, 01:07 PM
vBench

It's because they post more on facebook .
Reply With Quote top