Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM
vBench

Opel Maultier *ITALERI* WIP

Hello Folks,

I got here an old Italerie Kit - the OPEL MAULTIER. I got on question:

Wich tracks are possible if used the Wheels from Royal Model-Detailset?? The RM Wheels are wider than the kit wheels. Friuls and normal Modelkasten Tracks for Panzer I are to small

Somebody knows?

Best regards
Lars
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Hi Lars

Nice to see this one being made, one of my favourites, and will look great with all the extras available for it, if in the end quite an expensive little model.

The only other track makers I know that market tracks for this, which of course uses the Panzer 1 track as it's basis, is Masterbox and Accurate Armour. The stumbling block is that if the ones from Friuls and normal Modelkasten don't fit then I'd say so would the others be the same as surely they all work to the correct wheels of the Panzer 1. How much are they too wide?

Maybe an email to Royal Model might help and provide an answer after all they must have made the kits up after manufacturing the parts. On the other hand if the original Italeri tracks were wrong, too wide, and they made them to fit those and not to actual correct width ones you may have a problem.

I guess if worse comes to worse you could thin the wheel rubber area down but that's not really the point given what you spent out already to correct the kit wheels. From your attached picture they do from appearance look too wide to me, if you compare the image on the Accurate Armour picture of the Panzer 1 wheels

Masterbox tracks

Accurate Armour tracks

Alan

Last edited by alanmac; 10-19-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM
vBench

Hi Alan,

thanks for your comment and suggestion! I asked RM and the answer was: They used the Italeri tracks from the kit :-( I think I have a problem.

I know there are a Friul set (ATL-20) - especially named for Panzer I AND Maultier. Maybe this set could be fit...

On the other way to be left over to thin the RM wheels.

Kindest regards
Lars
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi Lars

Well from buying the Royal Model set, which isn't cheap, I'd say you were in to doing the best job possible.

Under those circumstances you wouldn't have kept the supplied tracks from Italeri anyway would you? So you'd be in to buying after market tracks of some make, so I'd say choose the tracks you want and then make the wheels fit.

It does seem a little crazy logic that Royal Model have used in creating this set. "let's bring out a detail set for the modeller who wants to improve the quality and accuracy of the kit but at the same time won't be changing the crappy tracks in the kit " - which sound like they are inaccurate anyway.

Are you getting any PE for it. I have the Eduard set for mine but yet to make a start on it, way down my list of kits to build at the moment. My version has the flak on board and I'm debating if I should invest in a Dragon or Tristar one with upgrade kits to replace it.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 04:32 AM

I think you are trying to mount the tracks between the two disks of the sprocket: the plain inner disk and the outer toothed one. I don´t know what is for the inner disk, but it´s not present in PZ I tanks and variants. I suppose it´s some type of mud scrapper or the like, but I don´t think a plain disk can be used as sprocket as it would make the tracks came out every time.

Try to mount the links as in a Pz I: the links rest only in the single toothed sprocket with the teeth in the middle of the links. If I don´t make it clear enough go and see any of the Pz I models out there to see what I´m talking about.

I think it has to be this, but I can´t tell it for sure as I don´t know anyting about the Maultier. But you can check it from the alignment of the roadwheels with the toothed sprocket disk: if they are pefectly aligned -viewed from top or bottom- it´s what I´m saying above, like a normal Pz I. But if the road wheels are out of axis, you are in a problem.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Sorry, I see you are referring to the roadwheels. I have assumed it was the drive sprockets.

It´s a very unpleseant situation indeed. I reminds me of the old Pz II from Alan where the wheels were wider than the space between the track guide teeth.
If all aftermarket sets are accurate -assuming that the RM ones are inaccurate- you should have to resort to the kit tracks or try to narrow the roadwheels attaching them to a motor tool and sanding them.
There are also the tracks from Dragon and Tristar kits, but I suppose this won´t fit also.
I don´t know about the Friul specific set for the Maultier, but I tend to think it simply has more/less tracks to fit the different vehicle. You can email them to ask for this before buying and additional set.

Hope you can solve this.

Last edited by César; 10-21-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
vBench

Hello Alan and Cesar,

in the meantime I found a solution –a easy and quick solution. The tracks from an Tristar Kit (Fahrschulpanzer I) and the thinned out road wheels fit together. On the inner areas (later non visible) of wheels I reduced some material with a sharp knife.

I believe I have the tracks wrong way round mounted – all Pics from suspension of Maultier-Vehicles for example shows a other direction – but on a old drawing the tracks mere mounted like on my model. But with the mudguards this nobody will notice later I hope so.

The old RM Detailset No.092 is without a doubt a nice set, especially the front wheels are great. Anyway I used additionally the PE-Set from Eduard.

Alan, lately I build a Tristar Flak 38 – and I was not happy with this peace. I would prefer the Dragon Flak.

Here a small update - the tracks are on the vehicle.

BR
Lars

Last edited by Lars Richter; 10-21-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: next picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
vBench

After I complete my SPG collection Lars,
half tracks are next.

I've already got seven in the stash.
Thanks for the SBS
..Tony the Mutt..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 PM
vBench

Tracks

Your tracks are not on backwards. They appear in photos both ways. In Panzer Colors on page 87 there is a Maultier with them on the same as yours.

And again in Panzer Colors Vol II on page 12 there is a picture of an Armoured Opel Maultier that clearly shows them on the same way as you have yours.

But you did mess up. The sprocket teeth goes through the middle holes of the track not the outside holes. The first picture shows this clearly. Hope this helps.

Pictures for discussion purposes only

Roy
Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM
vBench

Hi Roy,

many thanks for your post - I am happy that the tracks are correct driving direction. The problem with the sprocket wheel is not beyond repair - because track links and sprocket wheels are glued. Shit happens :-(

Ok, by the way...here comes a small update:

The assembling is completed, PE Parts from EDUARD and RM were used. Also the radiator get an protection canvas cover made by Magic Sculp. The fitting of the kit parts is not on actual standard so you must fitting all parts intimately.

Here are the pics:

Cheers
Lars
Reply With Quote top