Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 PM
vBench

M-3 Scout Car

Hello,
Here is my new build. I wanted to buyild something easy and fast.
This kit from Zvezda is not a new kit and not an up to date kit how is a Dargon's or Tamiya's, but I like it. There is a lot of work fx cleaning parts from flashes.
It's not decided yet what kind of camo will be, but I've seen somewhere a nice camo of New Zealand troops car and that looks nice.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Vbench

There is some help available for this old kit. ACE (Ukraine) has a photoetched detailing fret and Hussar (Canada) have recently resleased a set of resin wheels that are much better. There may also be items from other manufacturers I am unaware of. This is basically a good kit, but very old now. Things have come a long way since this, the old Peerless/Max kit. You can go quite nuts on fixing it up.

Have fun!
Scott Fraser
Old 02-13-2010, 10:37 AM
vBench

That plastic looks "awfully familiar" as some would say. Good luck!

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Don
Hello Narn!

Nice to see this project here!
Did you decide the paint? Should I seek in my references?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM
mykman

Hi Narn !

Good to see you here
Good luck for this kit! I think it will be finished in 1 or two days...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
There is some help available for this old kit. ACE (Ukraine) has a photoetched detailing fret and Hussar (Canada) have recently resleased a set of resin wheels that are much better. There may also be items from other manufacturers I am unaware of. This is basically a good kit, but very old now. Things have come a long way since this, the old Peerless/Max kit. You can go quite nuts on fixing it up.

Have fun!
Scott Fraser

Hi Scott,
Thank you for help. I know there are some upgrades for this kit, but I don't like to spend to much time on this kit. I've planned to build later a halftrack version, a Dargon with nice details and stowage added. This one:
http://www.cyber-hobby.com/shop/imag...lkits/6329.jpg

And some pictures about the old Zvezda quality ...

and the assembled parts

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

Nice assembly work. Looks like you're going to have to do a lot of filling and trimming from the look of the sprues. How old is this kit?

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
vBench

Looks like some hardwork heading your way. I just can't see this being a quick build.

Tell you what technology is cool, I'm sitting on a sailboat out on the Swan River and reading posts here on PA.
If the wind don't pick up I'm gonna stick the outboard in the water and head back to the morring.

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .

Last edited by Coops; 02-14-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 01:06 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Don
I wish a good luck to this one! I think I will wait until one of the big manufacturers will release this in better quality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerjaeger View Post
Nice assembly work. Looks like you're going to have to do a lot of filling and trimming from the look of the sprues. How old is this kit?
The moulds are very old, relatively speaking. Not as old as me, of course. As I recall, the Peerless/Max kit was released in 1972 or 1973, along with their CMP tractor. It was a fantastic kit for the time, but that time was many years ago. It has been sold under many labels since, and Zvezda has had the moulds for many years.

The original mouldings are obviously better, since there will be no damage or wear and tear. The Zvezda plastic is not as good as the original plastic, so there are cavities and sinkage in the parts. The biggest problem with the kit is the thickness of the walls, which were actually very thin. In 1/35 scale .010 translates roughly to 1 cm, so the walls of the model Scout Car are 30mm thick in scale. Ouch, but we can live with that.

For me, the biggest b***h is the tiedown loops, which are everywhere. There's no easy way but carve them all off and replace them with very thin wire, but that can be done over enough hours. The next problem is determining the shape and form of the machinegun travel loop, which runs all the way around the inside, and making it. There is huge scope for detailing in this vehicle/model, and for aftermarket producers to produce something, although no one has really done this kit justice. The bits from ACE and the wheels with some wire and some sheet aluminum (soda cans) make all the difference.

The next problem is references. I have yet to find a book on the Scout Car, and there are not very many walkarounds on the web. So, for now mine sits down the list, until I can find more information on the innards. Some day I want to reproduce a famous photo I recall from my youth of a Red Army Scout Car towing a 76mm ZiS-3 gun, taken in 1943 in the south. The Russians loved these vehicles, actually preferred them over halftracks, and they were used widely in reconnaissance units in the last half of the war.

All told, it's a very cool little vehicle, used far more by British, Commonwealth and Soviet forces than by the US Army, and very much forgotten in modelling circles.

Cheers
Scott Fraser

Last edited by greybeard; 02-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top