Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
vBench

OK, I finally have some pics to post in my V-bench! I'm a notoriously slow builder so I probably won't post pics that often, but here is my latest. I started work on this one back before Christmas and I've finally reached the point where I'm ready to start shooting some paint on it. This is the Dragon kit, which by now everyone has heard about so I won't bore you with how nice it is. It's pretty much out of the box except for some Friul tracks and a few small scratched details. I didn't use all the PE in the kit, I feel some of it isn't needed as the styrene parts are very nice.
The zimmerit is milliput and represents a first for me, as it's my first serious try at doing it myself. I have to say the zim is a "love/hate" thing, it's very satisfying knowing I did it myself, but it's still a pain to apply. I'm not totally satisfied with the final look, but I know where I made my mistakes and what I will do differently next time I tackle the stuff, the turret especially came out "messier" than planned. Another first was soldering the supports on the side skirts. I figured it was the perfect opportunity to get some practice as the superglue just wasn't cutting it, and you really don't see the results unless you turn the model upside down. (though I think they turned out well )
Plans for paint and markings are SS102 in Normandy. I had originally planned to go with the crowd and do SS101 but Sam D's build got me thinking the other way, and I've always thought the schemes 102 used were very distinctive. Apologies for the pics, I'm still trying to work out my lighting set up. Just when I think I've got it figured out something happens and I'm not happy with the pics. Anyway here they are, all comments welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 02-26-2006, 06:32 PM
vBench

Hey Mike
Looks great,first time doing zimm you say?...don't believe it for a second! [is that the AFV tool method?]

And nice soldering work too,i am going to try this on my next build[ok,i may not],so i
am well impressed with your first go
Whered you get the little wires from for the track hangers?,or did you do them yourself?,if so what diameter wire did you use?
Do the Friul tracks fit the DML running gear ok?..i plan on using Friuls on my Tiger[s]

Hurry up and paint it please,looks really,really cool so far

Regards

Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
vBench

Gday Mike,

Your tiger is looking fantastic. Another ss102 convert, eeexcellent!

How did you go soldering the skirts? Soldering sure beats bloody CA glue!

Looking forward to seeing it painted

Sam
Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
vBench

Hi Mike,

Looks really good Cannot wait to see it in paint :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2006, 10:27 PM
vBench

Mike - saw you had a V-bench set up, I was wondering if you were ever going to put anything in it! :lol:

The zimm looks great to me, I've only really tried it once myself. I used Tamiya epoxy putty and the Tamiya zimmerit tool. Turned out so-so. I just bought the AFV Club roller and will try that with Apoxie Sculpt on my late Tiger (in 4-5 years, when I actually get around to building it!).

Nice build!

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Mike ,
Your Tiger looks great! I can't wait to get one of these late beasts. First time with Zimm? Looks awesome. Keep it up

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 12:43 AM
vBench

Nice

Can't wait to see it when it's done
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
vBench

Quote:
Hey Mike
Looks great,first time doing zimm you say?...don't believe it for a second! [is that the AFV tool method?]
Yeah believe it or not it's my first "real" try. I've played around a little with some Squadron green putty but after seeing a friends build using milliput I thought "this is the way to go". I used the AFV roller on the front glacis, turret, and the right side (looking from the front) the rest I did with a small screwdriver.
Quote:
Whered you get the little wires from for the track hangers?,or did you do them yourself?,if so what diameter wire did you use?
I did them myself, sorry but I don't know what size wire it is. It's just some that I had laying around.
Quote:
Do the Friul tracks fit the DML running gear ok?..i plan on using Friuls on my Tiger[s
The Friuls fit great, thanks for the comments Jon.

Thanks also to everyone else who commented. Sam I'll try to post a pic of the soldering work on the underside of mudskirts, it's nothing special. Yeah Aaron like I said I'm slow so pics won't come to often. Though hopefully I'll get some paint on this one soon.