Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Reference

Reference Share what you have

Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
First of all go here www.aircraftresourcecenter.com then click at the top for the JOKES page. Scroll down past the days funny pic and joke and you have a list of pages for archive funny pics. Click on page 75, then look for the middle thumbnail in the bottom row, a T34. Click on that and have a read, its rather good.
Just got to it. Sorry, my friend - I saw that one years ago. Literally. All the way down to the dapper fellow who smugly wore his M-43 cap as he perched inside of the commanders cupola. Awesome. Only bad thing is that it was in Russia and I was over here in the good ol' USA. I'd have loved to have seen that one in person. It kinda makes you wonder how many German tanks went that route in assorted USSR lakes across the vastness of those 1000s of miles...sigh. I swear that I am going to get to Europe to check out these places in person before my silly ass croaks off. All I need are the groats, lol!

But, as Patton once said, "It is my destiny - and I will NOT be denied my DESTINY!". I love that guy! ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Oh, BTW - your signature sports one of my all-time favorite movie characters, though I found myself identifying with Kelly more than any of the others. I was 12 when I saw it in the theatres with my father. Funny how the Tiger mock-ups made from T-34/85s in that movie were repeated 25 years later in 'Saving Private Ryan'. 'Kelly's Heroes' is where Spielberg got the idea.

I'm working on 'The Kubelwagen from Hell' right now and I know I shall need you guys to help me choose where to go with that little wagen. You can find it in the WW 2 Armour section. It was a battle to figure out links, but I finally did. I asked for a v-bench but received no reply. Oh, well. Sometimes, stuff gets lost in the shuffle. Cya!

Last edited by EStrongblade; 01-24-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM

Oh - speaking of Aircraft - we have a great little museum right here in Pungo, Va...oops...there I go again. sorry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 03:58 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Nah, cant say planes really do it for me, but thanks anyway lol.

Yes i would imagine that there must be a multitude of WW2 kit stashed away in Russia, such a shame they dont make more of it as a tourist atttraction. Its surprising what does still exist considering that most german armor got blasted to bits from the air and ground. Amazing anything was left in one piece!

As for you coming over to europe, well we only accept visitors now bearing crates of Millers, for which i just appointed myself custodian

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 PM

@T140 -

Smart about aircraft, but then rudely ignores my perfectly good comment about Oddball and T34/85s...hm.

I remember when I was a Miller drinker - I outgrew it, of course, upon the discovery of Icehouse, which I not only find to be superior to Miller, but gets you high much faster because it's not that 3.2 p...water.

Mich's OK, but only if the Icehouse section is empty. I would walk past all, however, to get to the Chambord, Crown Royal or even the Canadian Hunter...well...maybe not the Canadian Hunter - it IS a bit raw...on second thought...yeah - even the Canadian Hunter, lol!

Hydrocodone and Wine is even better - if one MUST live with a bad back than one MUST do what one MUST do, lol! Happy Miller drinking!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 PM

T140:

Quote:
Yes i would imagine that there must be a multitude of WW2 kit stashed away in Russia, such a shame they dont make more of it as a tourist atttraction. Its surprising what does still exist considering that most german armor got blasted to bits from the air and ground. Amazing anything was left in one piece!
There is no doubting any of this, but I think that the Rus and resulting peoples were placed as a temptation to mad dictators - not only foreign (Nappy and Hitler) but domestic as well (any Czar and Josef Stalin comes to mind off the top of my head). When one deals with such people, one MUST be prepared to find left over war memorabilia. Like you said, "such a shame they dont make more of it as a tourist atttraction"...

Last edited by EStrongblade; 01-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 AM
vBench

Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention Oddball. Yep a very good film and i think I am due a re-run to see it again. 3 Friends of mine a few years back made a great diorama of the scene where they fire the pink paint sheel at the Tiger, came out really good, will see if they have any pics of it still. They watched the film many times to get all the detail rifght, and its only when you do that you see quite a lot od continuity errors. Bits of kit apear and vanish frequently. Got to love that oddball character, sums up tankers to me lol.

Not familiar with some of those beers you mentioned, but we only get a small numbr of imports from the colonies, and they tend to be brewed here now anyway. Bud, Coors, Millers etc. I quite liked Michelobe when i was there last but cant find that here. Still, if you want real beer then you best nip over here, where its made properly

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

@T140 - I'd love to see stuff (model dioramas) from that film. I have several copies, both DVD and VHS, that have been kindly dropped in my lap by friends and family over the years. I just recently began "The Kubelwagen from Hell". I also recently picked up an Italieri "Blitz". Perhaps a diorama at the minefield is in order...of course, I'd have to watch the film again...that's a plus...hmm...more beer...and booze...and other assorted mind-altering substances...win/win, I say!

Then the question - should I seek out stills of the film crew or just do the scene as real? Hmm.

You may turn out to be the official "Brains behind the Brawn", 'T'. Nothing solid, however, 'til I get further along on the Kubelwagen. German grey would make it a much easier paint project. Check it out in the Axis Armour section for more details.

Quote:
...we only get a small numbr of imports from the colonies, and they tend to be brewed here now anyway. Bud, Coors, Millers etc. I quite liked Michelobe when i was there last but cant find that here. Still, if you want real beer then you best nip over here, where its made properly
Yes, Michelob isn't bad. There are a few others, but I'm told that Germany is the place for warm beer, which is not an experience I've ever faced. 3.2 beer is one of the reasons why I lean towards the harder stuff when alcohol consumption is contemplated - a rare time due to my involvement in CDL driving (T, TTT, Bus, blah, blah). It really sucks, but someone's got to do it - for now anyway.

I'm expecting my redneck retirement plan to kick in any moment...here it is...a-n-y...mo-m-ent. Damn! Lost again! Stupid %@#*!^' numbers! <sigh>. Better luck next time! Cya!

Last edited by EStrongblade; 01-25-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM

BTW - I went to Mexico once, and had a beer. The only one that was there that I recognized was 'Corona', which in the States is a horrid, nasty P#%$water. Still, it was a cause for celebration, so 'Corona' it was for fear of getting something worse. That turned out to be the best beer I'd had in a long time. You see, they actually know how to make it in Mexico, lol! It ended up a merry little party.

Of course, the difference between Juarez then and Juarez now are the multiple dead bodies in the street, the results of struggles for control perpetuated by the drug cartels. I'd've had a front row seat had I shown up a decade later...I hope the little 3 year-old girl selling little colorful hummingbirds that dangled from sticks ("3 Dolla - 3 Dolla!") made it through that mess. I suspect she'd be nearly a full adult by now...

Last edited by EStrongblade; 01-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
vBench

Yep the world has sure changed over the years. Mexico has been in the news quite a bit here with the drug wars, and where it used to be a goal of mine to holiday there not so sure these days. Shame.

As for warm beers, well not sure about german being known for that, its more the brit bitters and ales that are room temp. The germans do like their wheat beer which personally is not to my taste. Funny how the "same" beer differs, we have the aussie Fosters brewed here but my mate has brought me cans from Oz and its a whole different beer, way better. You mentioned 3.2, if thats mean tto be the alcohol percentage by vol then I'm not sure that qualifies as beer lol. Look up a belgian beer called Kwak, thats a mind blowing 8 !

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I've asked my mate to see if he can find any pics of "Pretty in Pink", the diorama, and if he does will post for you. The figures in particular looked spot on.

Reply With Quote top