Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Sturm Infanteriegeschutz 33

Hello Planetarmorites!

Fellow German tank geeks...anyone know of any pics for this vehicle? I can't find any in my reference books, and I have quite a few. I found one photo on Achtung Panzer but it's not a closeup so is hard to make out the details.

I have the Part PE set for the kit as well, very nice set, but the instructions are quite vague regarding some stuff, like the rear deck/plate detail, tool stowage etc. Some detail is totally omitted like the front tool box...

I'm scratchbuilding a new gun barrel so any pics of that would be great as well...

Planning to do a Stalingrad winter camo maybe? Along way from there though...I will hopefully post some pics soon, once I get the PE going...

Thanks for any help provided, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 AM
vBench

Paul

You can find photos of the Sig 33B in Spielberger Sturmgeschutz and Variants, PanzerTracts 10 Artillerie Selbstfahrlafetten 15cm Sig 33 Auf PzKpfw I to Ohne Karl Geraet and Tank Power XXIV no 247 - 15cm siG 33 (Sf) auf PzKpfw I/II/III.

The first 12 SIG 33's were produced using a Stug III Ausf E chassis. Subsequent 12 used the Stug III Ausf F/8 chassis.

The first 12 were sent to Stalingrad belonging to Stug Abt 177 as part of the 6th Army and were painted in Dark Grey. They had balkenkreuz on the superstructure sides but no vehicle numbers. All twelve were lost in action by Nov 1943.

At that time Stug Abt 177 was led by Capt Bochum. The first time they were used in combat (correct me if I am wrong) was at Spartakowka led by First Lt Mai on 8 Nov 1942.

I have a number of photos of the Sig 33B and there is one with an early idler (like what you see on a Stug III ausf A). Panzer Tracts have a photo of a Sig 33B in dark grey with winter camo and winterketten.

I have the Part PE set as well and you are correct that it only has the rear stowage box. You will need to check your references on whether you need the front box. There are some measurements in Ospreys modelling guide to scratchbuild one. I will check and post it when I get home.

If you want to imrove the kit, here's a list of things to do:
1. Lower the main gun
2. Scratchbuild new gun travel lock (PART also includes this)
3. Fix bolt detail on the rear hull flanges
4. Fix upper sliding shield due to lowering of the main gun
5. Add PART pe - tool clasps, air intake grills etc
6. Tamiya Pz III running gear - road wheels, torsion bars, shock absorbers, bump stops (Sprue A from Pz III ausf L kit)
7. Modelkasten sprockets
8. Friulmodel winterketten or MK tracks

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Another Modeler

Lawrence,

That is some good info...I don't have any Panzertracks books and was looking for the 'cheap' solution for this one. I already installed the suspension arms and will use only the kit wheels,etc.

I have a set of the Dragon winterketten so that maybe the way I'll go...

I have a few questions if I may:

1 How would you lower the gun, by lowering the gun platform?
2 Was the upper casemate welded together or bolted?
3 Do you have any photos of the rear end bolt detail you could post?

Thanks, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM
vBench

Paul

Quote:
I found one photo on Achtung Panzer but it's not a closeup so is hard to make out the details.
There are number of photos of the sIG 33B and they are on pages 105 to 111.

Quote:
1 How would you lower the gun, by lowering the gun platform?
Yes..

Quote:
2 Was the upper casemate welded together or bolted?
It was welded but the front plate was bolted. There's a photo on page 106 in Achtung Panzer that shows the bolts on the inside of the front plate

Quote:
3 Do you have any photos of the rear end bolt detail you could post?

Photo is from www.jagdtiger.de There are 3 other photos of the Kubinka vehicle there as well.

Here are two additional photos. The first one shows the early idler wheel

And with winterketten

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Another Modeler

Wow Lawrence, nice pics...thanks for posting them.

I especially like the one with the winterketten....hmmmmm very, very interesting...

I don't see any hinge detail on the rear toolbox but the Part set includes them? Did you notice this?

I will check the German site for those photos...

I owe ya one!

Regards, Paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 PM
vBench

Lawrence you said "The first 12 were sent to Stalingrad belonging to Stug Abt 177 as part of the 6th Army and were painted in Dark Grey. They had balkenkreuz on the superstructure sides but no vehicle numbers. All twelve were lost in action by Nov 1943." Is the year 1943 a typo or did some escape the Stalingrad battle and fight on some wheres else? I am thinking a typo but want to be sure. Some great info on this post. This is one of those vehicles that is cool to look at but wouldn't want to be in the building it was aiming at.

Roy
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Another Modeler

Lawrence,

You posted earlier...

"There are number of photos of the sIG 33B and they are on pages 105 to 111."

I meant the web site not the book...heheh
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 AM
vBench

..no wintercamo

Hello Lawrence and Roy,

I was following this discussion as I have build the SIG33 with the "wintercamo".
Now after being ready I'm completely convinced that there was no wintercamo on. I have read the weather reports of Stalingrad from the OKH and when once it got cold and the temperature fell there was no thawing anymore that would give the wintercamo this typical washed off appearance.

Since all of the 12 SIGs were lost in Stalingrad (first batch) it was full of dirt and dust that "frostdried" to the outside.

Of course that would make the painting especially intersting dry and wet mud covered with snow and ice.

...or you go for the second dozen that did not make it into Stalingrad and was then painted yellow with patches or stripes I seem to recall. They survived quite some time in 1943.

Bye,
Harry
Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 AM
vBench

Quote:
Lawrence you said "The first 12 were sent to Stalingrad belonging to Stug Abt 177 as part of the 6th Army and were painted in Dark Grey. They had balkenkreuz on the superstructure sides but no vehicle numbers. All twelve were lost in action by Nov 1943." Is the year 1943 a typo or did some escape the Stalingrad battle and fight on some wheres else? I am thinking a typo but want to be sure. Some great info on this post. This is one of those vehicles that is cool to look at but wouldn't want to be in the building it was aiming at.

Roy
Sorry for the typo. All first 12 vehicles were lost at Stalingrad. The Russians captured one and is now on display at Kubinka.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Steen View Post
Hello Lawrence and Roy,

I was following this discussion as I have build the SIG33 with the "wintercamo".
Now after being ready I'm completely convinced that there was no wintercamo on. I have read the weather reports of Stalingrad from the OKH and when once it got cold and the temperature fell there was no thawing anymore that would give the wintercamo this typical washed off appearance.

Since all of the 12 SIGs were lost in Stalingrad (first batch) it was full of dirt and dust that "frostdried" to the outside.

Of course that would make the painting especially intersting dry and wet mud covered with snow and ice.

...or you go for the second dozen that did not make it into Stalingrad and was then painted yellow with patches or stripes I seem to recall. They survived quite some time in 1943.

Bye,
Harry
Harry
I see where you are coming from. However, if you look at a close-up of the same Sig 33B (the first one with winterketten), you can see some remaining traces of whitewash on the sides of the air intakes.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top