Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 AM

antennas

Hi,

After 20 years building planes Iíve started adventuring into the Armor world. Quite a different world I may add.

So I need some advice about antennas. What do you guys use for antennas?

Cheers,

Tony.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
vBench

Hi!
Well, it depends, but I mostly use different length thin (0,5-0,25mm) plastic rod.
Hope that helps
Arthur

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks Arthur,

Where do you find those? I looked at my usual suppliers Hannants, Relish, Models for Sale and Model Hobbies and the thinner I found was 0,75mm.

Cheers,
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
vBench

I ususally take them out of a hat, now that you mention it... I really couldn't tell where did I get those... Once I was in need of antennas, and I didn't have these, I did melt me one: I took a piece of sprue, took it over a candle flame and pulled it slowly. That gave me a nice plastic "string", that I cut down on measure of the remains of the sprue, and used it as needed...

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks Arthur again,

I'll try the melting sprue stuff and see what happens.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 04:53 PM
vBench

I wish you good luck! Don't take it too close to the flame otherwise it will just burn, not melt.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Tony, welcome to the dark side!

I've used to use thin brass piano wire, but then you have to paint it and it's not that flexible so it's easy to knock off.

What I use now is carbon fiber--a friend of mine found a source for very thin carbon fiber rods in 3 foot lengths. You had to buy a bunch of them to meet the minimum order quantity, so a few of us got together and ordered a few each. I think they ended up being a few bucks a piece all said and done, but you can make about 12-18 antennae out a 3' piece. They work great--they're a nice matte black color, stiff enough to stand straight up but very flexible so you don't have to worry about them getting knocked off if you hit them.

I think Accurate Armour also sells pre-cut antennae out of CF too. There's also a company called Minimeca that sells thin stainless wire antennae that have a spring-like winding around the base for a pretty quick and realistic antenna.

Stretched sprue works well too, but requires a bit of practice to get a consistent result. Different manufacturer's plastic behaves differently too, so it's kind of a trial-and-error thing. I know a lot of people who say Tamiya's plastic is the best for sprue stretching though.

Good luck!
Curtis
Reply With Quote top