Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to AfRiKaKoRpS
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamadan View Post
Chris, Does it come with parts to make a "G"? Dan
Dan,
I think it does and I am more and more tempted to do Early G instead of F2.
I went through the 'Wydawnictwo Militaria 250 PzKpfw IV vol.I/II' and seems I might find all parts one need to make Early G. As far as I know the first difference that comes to my mind is different muzzle break styles.

F2 - Single

G - Double

The book also says about different acces hatches driver/radiooperator.

F2

G

Than there is front turret plate which is most confusing for me.
Picture showing Early G shows front plate with 2 vision ports and the drawing shows single vision port on Early G.

Pictures and drawings come from Wydawnictwo Militaria 250 as this is the only reference I have at moment. These books have mistakes quite often so
I have no idea which is OK? Anyway there are both versions of turret front plate inclouded in kit.

Maybe someone can clearfiy that matter a bit, please?

There are also 2 types of back plate included and I also do not have idea which one would be good for Early G?

The turret is OK for both F2 and Early G as far as I know as the side vision ports were deleted in Later G version.

Sam, Chad
I think that this kit is some promo/demo version as they had only one in the shop in Warsaw where I got it. So I was very lucky one to get it

To be continued ...

Chris

.................................................. ......

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 06:10 AM
vBench

Lawrence,
Your eyesight is okay. The E hull is longer than F2/G.
I have not written abt that as I was curious if someone notices it. I was not sure myself at first moment, too.

Chris

StuG III Ausf.G DML Smart Kit - Dec 1942 Production Initial StuG III G - Russia 1942/43 - PA Group Build
StuG IV DML Smart Kit - 2. Kompanie Panzerjäger-Abteilung Brandenburg /1. Jäger-Rgt. "Brandenburg" - Poland 1945

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 AM
vBench

Some sprues

Chris

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM
vBench

The upper rear plate is for an F, the Lower the G.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
vBench

Chris

The right vision port was deleted for the Ausf G from April 1942. Production of the Ausf G commenced in March 1942 and only the very early batches had both vision ports along with the ones on the turret sides.

John is correct for the upper rear plate. The Ausf F had the smoke discharger rack and this was removed for the Ausf G.

On the length of the chassis, as far as I know the Ausf F/F2/G should be slightly longer than the Ausf E. In Panzer Tracts, the overall length and wheel base is 5.92m and 2.40m respectively for the Ausf E and 5.92m and 2.46m for the Ausf F. Does anyone have the measurements for the chassis length of the real vehicle?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM
vBench

A bit of clarification (Maybe)

*Quote* Dragon names it F2(G) so does that mean that one can make early G out of it with just a change of barrel with different muzzle break?

I think they call it a F2(G) because according to Jentz the F2 and G are essentially the same tank with very minor differences. So simular infact that in July 1942 Wa Pruef 6 ordered 7./B.W. (Ausf. F1) was to be known as the 7./B.W. (Ausf F) and the 7./B.W. (Ausf. F2) was to be known as the 8./B.W. (Ausf. G). Essentially they said that all F2s are Gs. Now you will say there are more than a few differences but really there are not and most are cosmetic that were introduced through out the production run. It does appear by looking at the sprues that Dragon may be coming out with a F1(F) in the near future. I hope as it is my favorite Pz IV.

Roy
Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 AM
panamadan

Chris, Thanks for the info. The parts aren't in the normal "DML gray"-look very Skybow-like. Does the turret come with a option to add the side vision flaps? Here's a early "G" that I would like to do with this kit. Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	early iv g.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	995  
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfRiKaKoRpS View Post
Ebbe, Giacomo
I still have not decided how to paint it.
Maybe DAK?

Giacomo
The kit it defenatelly less complicated than E and far more than C. Where sprocket has separate bolts. I also have E at my bench which has been "on hold" for quite a while. Have the Vorpanzer Box version but bought it to build DAK version not Vorpanzer. The idea to buy it was born after watching what James did with his E. Have Montex masks with number 411 for it. What paint scheme have you decided for - Giacomo?

Here is my E and new F2 hull

Chris
Are you spaking about James Tainton's Ausf. E? That's a pretty cool work! I think I will paint mine the way he did (number 8), though I may choose a diffferent version, but will always be DAK!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 PM
vBench

Hello together,

You can only build an Pz IV F2.
The IV G early and G mid and G late and G very late have another turret, where the side vision ports have been deleted and also the right front vision port.
Well, the kit does have the G turret front plate, but not the G turret.

Best regards,

Notger
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2007, 02:38 PM
vBench

Wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Hello together,

You can only build an Pz IV F2.
The IV G early and G mid and G late and G very late have another turret, where the side vision ports have been deleted and also the right front vision port.
Well, the kit does have the G turret front plate, but not the G turret.

Best regards,

Notger
Very early Gs (before the F2 became known as G also) had the vision ports on the side. Here is a photo I got from the web somewhere. For discussion only. The vision port is clear as is the later muzzlebrake.

Roy