Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
vBench

Thanks sigma-7...yeah the second pull was ok...i did a third and it didnt turn out good...not sure what the problem was but the wheels were thin, shallow like the resin didnt make it all the way to the bottom of the mold. I think i had my mold clamped together too tightly. I got alot of flash on that second casting so i doubled up on rubber bands to try and correct that. I'll be making another pour!
I hit the turret hard yesterday for detailing. still working on the weld seams, but I made lifting eyes out of solder and attached, built another periscope assembly for the turret and put it on with CA. I also did alot of work around the rear escape hatch. I shaved the tiny latch off of the kit turret and reattached it to my scratchbuilt one, added a handle to the hatch and a grab iron above the hatch, both out of brass rod. Also added the little handle/grab iron to the top of the cupola hatch. I noticed in research there are 4 counterbored (sunken) screw in the front, top, center of the turret. I dont know what the device is that these screws hold to the ceiling of the turret, but the screws seem evident from the outside. With that the turret is nearing completion...just some more weld details and cleaning up and it should be ready for primer.

I moved on to the front of the hull this morning. Again using solder I made tow shackles, flattening each end with pliers, bending them into shape, then drilling holes through the flattened ends. Through these holes I CA'ed a piece of styrene rod, and through the holes in the towing bosses on the nose of the hull. I also added bolts in the ends of the towing plates, and a couple more to the inside of each drive sprocket housing. This area is about done too. Next I'll be moving on to the rear of the hull. We're getting there!

Adding some more finished shots of what I've got here. I gave the heavily-worked areas a light brush coat or PolyScale Pullman Green, just to even everything out, again so I can get a good look at what I have going on here.

I'm really proud of these screws:

Might tone this stuff down a bit, but happy with the overall look:

And I'm getting my weld sculpting down:

Rear hatch details. Need to take some bend out of that top grab iron:

Last edited by TankDan; 01-31-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Right on!

+10 bonus points for the shackles!!!

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM
vBench

Thanks David!

Been doing more detailing, texturing, weld seams, etc. Actually got alot done yesterday and last night. Other than a little cleanup the turret is all but done. I textured the mantlet with some Testors LC for a cast texture, as well as the ventilator cover, cupola, and rear escape hatch. I did a light texturing of liquid cement over the rest of the turret that I'll sand later to tone down.

I also completed the exhaust system last night using some aluminum and brass tubing. I realize it's far from accurate...I wish I'd done a little more research before I had this portion all glued together. I think I would have made a scratch-built transom plate. The exhaust mounts are wrong, and while I think the detail on the transom appears to be correct, as far as the hatches and access plates, etc., it's all kinda heavy and blocky. I'm really pleased with the welds and texturing that I did in this area though. I added some light damage to the storage bins...might take that a little further.

I also went over the rest of the hull underside with some liquid cement to give it some texture and something for washes and filters and paint to hang on to.
I admit I'm starting to burn-out on this thing, but I'll keep pushing. I could kinda keep going nuts, but I'd like to do an Ausf G, and pick a really nice kit as a starting point and deck it out with PE and whatnot. Gotta save some energy and interest for that, so I think I'm about to call this thing done as far as the main construction and detailing. I still have to do the tool racks, gun cleaning rod tube, and still waiting for my track set to show up in the mail. I'm kind of at that point where I'm kind of over it right now, but at the same time I've got alot invested here already in time and work, so I might need to step back and move to a different project for a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
the kit's a notorious dog man, we all know that so doing what you're doing with it is commendable. i can understand the burn out but if nothing else, it's good practice on lots of techniques and what not that you can use to further enhance future builds, of better kits hopefully for your sake . everyone should try to build an aweful kit like this once in a while to remember how good we have it and what modelling is. so well done...

on a constructive note, did you weld the cupola to the turret roof? should be a visible gap there where it is attached.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM
vBench

yea man, big error, commanders cupola was not welded to turret

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/...um-tank-23.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dy_P013441.jpg

and easy on steel cuts... it was german kitty not russian... on these pics you can see that back of turret was quite nicely cut
hope they help... we've got many more if you want (=
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
vBench

some pics of ausf A restoration
you can see a lot of details you're working on right now
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/panther.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
vBench

Thanks guys. Yeah, I did initially weld the cupola to the turret. I was going nuts with welds and just as I finished the cupola welds I realized it wasnt supposed to be welded to the turret. I havent fixed it yet, but am going to.
It is a crummy old kit Chad, but for 99% of the people who will ever see this model, the inaccuracies wont matter...it'll just look good. I pretty much just model for my own enjoyment, and most of them end up boxed away after I've finished them. If I was entering contests and the like I'd be more concerned with accuracy. But sometimes it's fun to go cookoo on something and make it as accurate as I can. What you said about honing skills and techniques is mainly why I'm working on this thing and putting so much time into it. I havent done any serious modeling in some time (several years), and I dont want to practice new techniques or shake the rust off my old skills on my Dragon PzIV kit. Thats why I'm doing it on this one and the little $15 Tamiya PzII I picked up at Hobby Lobby. I have less into these 2 kits combined, money-wise, than I do into the Dragon kit alone. And when these 2 are done they'll still be nice representations of the real thing, if not entirely accurate. Thanks for the help and perspective!
Thanks for the links KuK...I'll check them out!

I worked on the road wheels today since my Bronco track kit came yesterday. I didnt want to start on them until I knew for sure they would work OK with the Bronco tracks. The resin cleans up easily, is reasonably hard and strong, and will work for what I need here. I'm not concerning myself with detailing the inside of the cast wheels. I thought of adding nuts and lugs and all that good stuff, and may yet, but I am not planning on it. While the castings are OK, I dont feel they are good enough, nor is the rest of the kit, to warrant crazy detailing on a part of the model that will never see the light of day. But they'll suffice to at least make the track/suspension system a step closer to accurate.

Last edited by TankDan; 02-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Looking great.
Thank you for the updates.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 AM
vBench

Thank you Alex, for making the changes I requested. I think thats an improvement! I hope it doesnt confuse anyone who was following the thread.
I got all the suspension/roadwheels worked out over the past couple days. I'm not able to post photos at the moment, but I'll be editing this one probably tomorrow and adding photos.
I started cleaning up my new resin roadwheels by finding center (in this case I eyeballed) and drilling a pilot hole, I think a #60 bit. I worked the hole up slowly through another 2 or 3 bit sizes till I reached 1/8".

From there I used a ball-shaped cutting tool in an electric drill to slowly bore the hole in the roadwheel until it was large enough for the tool to pass through it. At that point I continued with my hobby knife to shave the hole just large enough that it would fit over the axle cast onto the outer (kit) roadwheel.

After a bit more cleanup the wheel was ready to glue to the outer roadwheel. I used a couple strips of very thin styrene (.020 maybe?) sandwhiched between the wheels to give a gap. Before I glued them together I checked the fit with the tracks, to make sure the combo wheels would fit between the teeth on the Bronco links.

Since I've added a wheel into the mix, the far inside and outside roadwheel assemblies need some adjusting in their designed fit to work. All that is need is a 3mm spacer on the axle that is cast to the outside wheel. Thanks to Gerard Deygas for that info, from FSM's "Armor Conversion and Detailing Projects". I didnt have any styrene tube in the right size, but I did find some aluminum tube in the appropriate diameter in my scrap box. I cut this to 8 3mm widths with a small Rigid tubing cutter, reamed them with my hobby knife, and they are a press-fit over the axles.

The finished rough-fit:

Thats all for now. I've got some more detailing to do, but it's getting there!

Last edited by TankDan; 02-07-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: photo and text additions
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 AM

Not to worry.

It's all good.

...and good training for admin.

It's their job.

Take care and carry on bro.

AWD

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Users like alexwencho's post!