Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
vBench

Hello everyone,

Little time, little progress. I found some more pictures of Stuarts on the web hereby I introduce Mr Steve Greenberg's M3A1 and one of its restoration pictures: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data...rt-rest_-2.jpg

Starting from this point, the floor and interior is quite simplified in Academy's Stuart and I am just planning some upgrade.

In the meantime I ordered Steve Zaloga's Modelling M3/M5 Stuarts book. I'm curious how he's made his M3A1 with lot more years of experience.
Well, this time I started to upgrade the floor using some ear-stick, plastruct .3mm sheet & .8mm nuts cut from hex-rod. Anyone could suggest a good method to cut same sized nuts from hex rods? I do it with cutting them "by eye" and sanding them to level when glued in place...
The result of my Sunday afternoon:

cheers,
Zsolt

Last edited by MZsolt; 09-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM
vBench

Hi Zsolt,

nice scratchwork so far.

As for the hex nuts: Perhaps you could make some sort of jig.
If you use a U-channel which is higher than the hex-rod and a small block of styrene (or whatever) to determine the thickness of the nut (so, as a stop for the hex-rod) you can cut hex nuts of the same thickness with a razorblade. Use the end of the U-channel as a guide for the razor blade.

Just a thought

Robert
Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
vBench

Resurrecting the Stuart-project

Hi everyone,
Back from month's of silence on this project. I continued to build the inside of the fighting compartment following the few pictures found on the net and using my fantasy on the other parts. I used Eduard PE for the interior but not too much (yet).

The back wall was re-built from ABS and the radiator was tried-to-build from thin styrene rods. I will be hardly visible when fully built however.

After wiring and building boxes for different mysterious purposes. Also built a very simple simulation of the driving mechanism, it looks awful but will not be visible, so I'm not worried

I tried to build something like the original seat-mechanism, but it is quite far from it. Anyways, I like it...

And last: etched instrument panel and dry-fit seat and the lower half of the ammo rack. I decided to use 1mm rods painted to brass colour to simulate the ammo as it would cost a lot to buy Armorscale brass ammo (and it won't be visible really) and I could not manage to copy my Verlinden resin ammo set...

That's what I did in the last few days with little free time to sit down modelling... paralel with it I started the Panzerbefehlswagen I (Dragon), pics from that project coming soon

thanks for looking here, cheers,

Zsolt

Last edited by MZsolt; 09-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Hi,

Excellent work so far. If you have questions about the Stuart interior, there is a Yahoo Group dedicated to the vehicle. I know it is where Karl van Sweden got a lot of M-8 Scott interior questions answered (I sent him the TM but apparently he needed more! )

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
I like this one a lot Zsolt!
I want to build one of these too sometime in the future, so your blog is exactly what I need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM
vBench

Very fine works...Good luck Zsolt..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Don
Szia Zsolt!

Very detailed work, it looks nice! Keep going, and post new pics of progress!

Don
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
vBench

Impressive work on the interior - it looks really wonderful to me.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
vBench

Szia!
Nice work! Very impressive.
Arthur

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
vBench

back again, tadaaaam...

Hello everyone,
Long time no posts here (the project is 1-year old soon). Time to update. One thing I'm sure that the statue of "efficienct modelling and time management" will NOT look like me
As I declared the hull interior to be almost-ready, I started to work on the exterior. Starting from here:

As can be seen the model was made by the two sponson machinegun, however the real M3A1 Stuarts had no sponson machinegun. They had square or more often round steel plate welded in place. I found photos with Stuarts having this oval thing only on the right side, the left was looking like had been made without the hole.
Other issue was the welding: I sanded the side of the body as originally had rivets (typical to M3s, but not on M3A1s). Used some styrene to imitate weld seams:

The hatch-frame was riveted as well though it was not typical. I used the two "T-frame" provided in the kit, cut the hinges from one, sanded and glued in place resulting this "from-to" picture:

Glued the frame in place and started to rework the turret ring. The M3A1 had armored turret ring though the kit provided something maybe used on Honeys, or so. I used some two-part epoxy putty. I liked the result till my wife came in the room and said "Ehhh, this is really ugly, what's this yellowish white thing around?". Later brought a light dinner:

...and I forgave So I "up-armored" the turret ring. Not worried about uglyness as it will be covered by the turret when ready.

I used the Eduard PE set to upgrade the hatch doors. No big changes and will not be really visible (doors will be opened up) but looks better, I think. The right one is the kit original, the left is upgraded.

And finally I started to alter the back side of the hull. As wrote in the first post, there was some difference between the kit and the real M3A1 part, as seen here:

I sanded down the kit part and after several tries (and cries) I glued an ABS sheet there, after careful bending. The inside was reinforced and the result is quite pleasing thougn not 100% looking like the original.

Reworked the kit part of the ventillation "door". It would be even better to scratch a new one because the kit part is much higher than the original one but I was lazy on that day.

The air filters were converted to diesel-powered M3A1 - and yes, it is completely different than on the real one. I tried to place the tube like on the original diesels (picture in S. Zalogas's building Stuarts book, p.33.) with no succes. I didn't have turned air-filters and the kit filters could not be reworked nicely (big holes on them, etc) and that lead me to the decision: change the placement. It looks quite OK, but from this point it is not a diesel, instead it's a "fantasy" Stuart. I'll cover this part of the tank with stuff so won't be visible but...

I used some PE to enhance the boxes on the rear fender and to represent the screw-heads typical to the original. Well... tried to align them in line and hold the same distance between them... I swear No matter, I like the result. This is the butt of my little tank:

... and a look at the front, before saying good-night.

and now: good night
cheers,
Zsolt
Reply With Quote top