Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-03-2005, 12:48 PM
vBench

This will be my next project after the Hotchkiss hits the paint booth.

This beast is one of my all-time favs and it took me awhile to get my hands on this kit. However, since it has been re-issued and I can get more I've decided to break it open and have a go at it.

My model will represent an early L/70 with zimm, four return rollers, no steel wheels, etc. A group of these vehicles survived until '45 in the Lake Balaton area. There are some shots of these vehicles in a Frontline Illustration publication on these vehicles. The book includes some great shots, unfortunately the meat of the text is in Russian.

Here is a shot of a similiar vehicle:

Won't be adding any PE, just an AM barrel from Eduard as the kit one is anemic at best. I do have a set of Fruils that could be used on this vehicle, but I think I will save them for a more detailed project.

Again, this one is to be kept simple and keep me modeling!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2005, 01:00 PM
vBench

Dude, I just got that one too a month or so ago... maybe I'll join you... I do have the Aber sets for it though...

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2005, 06:37 PM
vBench

Here is a scan from the Frontline Illustration publication of the early model in the Budapest area:

And another shot from the cover:

Proof that German armor didn't always have a life span of a few weeks the last year or so of the war.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2005, 05:43 PM
vBench

Started some work on this kit as the primer dries on the Hotchkiss. The zimm pattern on the vehicle that I want to model is different than any other pattern I have ever tried to create. Instead of raking a tool across some putty, I am going to have to stamp it.

An example:

Some of my first test attempts using different thickness styrene. I'm having a hard time deciding which pattern looks closer to the real thing. I think the tool on the right is too thick, but on the left it is too thin. Thoughts?

I'll need some more practice, but I can tell already that this is going to be a tedious process!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2005, 05:11 PM
vBench

Can't do any airbrushing on the Hotchkiss today as the brother-in-law who lives with us and works graveyard is sleeping next to my model room. So, I thought I'd really get started on this kit.

All the basic mark IV stuff here on the hull sides. Four return rollers on this one as it represents an early model.

I pilfered the muffler off of my StuG IV kit as I don't think it's ever going to see completion. This kit does not include the muffler for the early version only the later ones.

I then (for God's sake I don't know why) started to rummage through all my PE sets. I have an old Aber set for an earlier Mark IV and decided to use the muffler supports from this kit.

Before I know it, I also have an Aber set of fenders sitting on my workbench as well as an Eduard set for this kit. So much for OOB!

Now the ass end with some zimm on it and some other bits:

The styrene rod is to fill in the kit location hulls for the jack block. I unfortunately don't have any balsa wood around so will probably have to modify the kit part.

I have also cleaned up all the roadwheels while watching the latest Harry Potter movie (don't ask alright!), which is the most tedious part of any Mark IV build IMO. I also have the Friuls pinned together already.. man, I love those things!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
vBench

And some more progress.....

The zimm looks Ok to me right now. I need to "refine" it a bit before hitting the upper hull. All I used was Testors Polyester Putty and a strip of styrene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 AM
vBench

Looks awsome Stuke!!.. reminds me of working on my L/48 last summer.. that was my first attempt at putty Zim!...

That's one reason why I wanted to get the L/70 so that I could do one without Zim...

Looks great so far though.. keep those pictures coming..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 03:50 AM
vBench

looks okay. maybe the rows and witdth could be more strict?
You might want to try a tiny screwdriver at the right width. Keep going - so how many do you have started now. :lol:
couple articlesyou probably already have.
http://www.panzerworld.net/zimmerit.html
http://www.panzerdiesel.com/data/e/270.htm...6319efa5b4603b5

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 AM
vBench

Yeah, like I said not my best application to date. I just get lazy on the lower hull for some reason on all my zimmed tanks.

I will get more serious about it...hopefully. Honestly though, I really hate the stuff but for some reason really wanted to model this early variant in a late war setting. Last night on the ML chat room, Mirko confirmed for me that indeed many of this early vehicles were involved in the fighting in and around Budapest in the spring of '45.

Hmmmm, eight months of combat? I think that means I can beat her up a bit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 PM
vBench

One little blip on my path to completion of the lower hull are the return rollers. A link to a discussion regarding them can be seen here:

Correct return rollers?

Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote top