Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-07-2005, 05:51 AM
vBench

Hi,
as almost any tank modeller I have one, too At first I was going to do a quick build ootb but as I got deeper into it I discovered that some work is ahead.
At first I tried to find a correct version but I gave up as I didn't find out enough info. Problem is that if you do ootb DML version, in WHICH month did it have this configuration? First tanks arrived in August and then there was only two crowbars in hull. When was all the tools added? September or later?
Anyway, model itself is very nice and with care you can build excellent looking beast. In this Vbench I try to uncover problems I stumbled into and additions I've made.
I started this some time ago so I don't have pics right from the start but as it was quite basic build, there wasn't much to see.
I was a bit disappointed with the quality of DML PE so I wanted to try Aber tool clasps and holders. I use the newer set(2002) that has smaller parts opposed to their original set. I must say that resizing to smaller didn't help to build those at all
Here is one clasp or what ever added to turret box:

First tool holder added to hull. This was one of the holders for crowbars? DML's plastic version wasn't very convincing so I replaced it with Aber. It's workable but I think I should glue together as long as it still is there!

Once again, PE from DML was too clumsy looking and hard to bend so replaced it with lead foil. From pics you can see I had to add some putty to hull corner I wasn't able to aling parts 100% correctly:

I' not sure if Aber holders will cover holes so I hide them first with sprue.

Fender holders are a bit of a mystery also. There should be a bracket in fenders but DML's version is too big? I should have remade those but I ended using kit PE. I shaved off plastic hooks from hull so I had to add PE to it. Problem arises as PE hooks are too short. I did two things.

To right side I added some sprue to PE to make it longer:

To left side I just glued the hook upside down. I'm not sure if it was possible but there it is:

More to follow later.

Niko
Old 08-07-2005, 06:11 AM
vBench

Addition with one pic.
As fuel tanks and fans were supposed to be painted before glued under hull, I did first with black. Further examining for correct color revealed that those should be hull red. Tamiya Hull Red should be quite correct straight from the jar but I don't have it, of course. I used a mix of Humbrol Wine red and old but still usable Track color from Humbrol Authentic Color range. It worked pretty well with black underside, IMHO. I painted blades with Humbrol Polished steel from Metallic Color range. I polished few blades so those shine a bit. Not that you could see much after glueing in place.

Old 08-07-2005, 06:15 AM
vBench

Oh, and one thing. Has anyone tried to glue those jerrycans together? I haven't been able to use that PE as it doesn't fit between cans WHAT am I doing wrong :lol:

Niko
Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 AM

Hello Niko,
Nice work on the Tiger. I am finishing up my Initial Tiger 1 and I bowrowed a copy of Military Miniatures in Review guide to the Tiger most helpful in determining the answers to the questions you have. I did find out that the crowbar issue is August 42 and that tanks issued to the 502 in August had two crowbars the second being at an angle. If you can obtain a copy of this book it is really worth it, being primarrily an Allied Armor guy it was most helpful. I am doing mine as factory new having compleated a test in the water tank. Yes I could not get my jerry cans to go together with that photo etch. I just put the plastic parts together and threw the photo in the parts bin.
Frank :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 08:25 AM
vBench

I haven't built mine as yet so I can't comment directly on this but the problems and quality of the Dragon kit does not surprise me- I have a rather jaundiced eye when it comes to the quality of their product since the Leopold and Karl fiascos. It seems like many people are happy with a lot of bells and whistles. Thanks for posting your progress report- keep it brutally honest eh? :lol: We don't want no cuckolding.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by frank blanton@Aug 7 2005, 08:11 AM
Hello Niko,
Nice work on the Tiger. I am finishing up my Initial Tiger 1 and I bowrowed a copy of Military Miniatures in Review guide to the Tiger most helpful in determining the answers to the questions you have. I did find out that the crowbar issue is August 42 and that tanks issued to the 502 in August had two crowbars the second being at an angle.
hi,
yes I have that book, too. It certainly does help in many issues. But there is lot of gaps that are not covered with MMiR, Achtung Panzer and Doyle Tiger books or maybe I haven't studied books carefully enough. Doyle's book has one pic that has Tiger with crossbars.
Dragon should have included some info about these Tigers like when this equpiment was installed etc. I'm not sure if there should be tow cables after all. And what bugs me most is that there are no screens to engine deck! I've HEARD that Eduard and Aber for Tamiya Tiger works but I'm not so sure about that. I have Lion Roar PE for Tamiya Late but screens doesn't sit to Dragon. So some work with those still ahead.
So what I decided was that I'll do it as DML proposes and try to see this as a painting rehearsal. Tracks seem to include lot of joyful? work but I'll try to tackle them.
After this I'll dig into two late Tiger I's, DML and Tamiya. Those will have a different approach regarding almost everything but that is just in the near future...

Good? to hear that I'm not the only one with useless PE

Niko
Old 08-07-2005, 02:49 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerfaust@Aug 7 2005, 08:25 AM
I haven't built mine as yet so I can't comment directly on this but the problems and quality of the Dragon kit does not surprise me- I have a rather jaundiced eye when it comes to the quality of their product since the Leopold and Karl fiascos. It seems like many people are happy with a lot of bells and whistles. Thanks for posting your progress report- keep it brutally honest eh? :lol: We don't want no cuckolding.
Hi James,
yes I'll try to keep an objective eye on my build. I was "a bit" disappointed as I thought from all the reviews this to be THE model.
I also had DML Leopold and Karl but I sold those as I didn't have the guts to start the work to really scratchbuild them. I'm struggling with this now and also 251c story should continue soon.
As it comes to Tiger I initial, what do you do with those extras? I know they are great and look very nice but you should build a dio with those ammo etc. Bucket is too heavy(thick and big) to be used. PE for tools and jerry cans are almost useless. What can you do with ammo and boxes? Torsion bars were a nice addition, too but you can't use those as they are too weak. Well, I could go on but I may piss someone off :lol:
Dragon is going to right direction with added PE and metal barrels etc. but they need to do more work to make it perfect. I have their M4A2 and have high hopes regarding that. Well, weld seams to be added and idler wheel has no back side etc..
Please, don't get me wrong. DML is doing great job by releasing lot of new never seen stuff. I've just got a wrong idea just by reading reviews, my fault that is actually. They just could be doing a bit greater stuff.

Niko
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 AM
vBench

No pic update, just text for now I've done some painting and added Aber tool brackets. I had high hopes for engine deck screens as I removed Eduard screens from already built Tamiya R/C Early Tiger I. Unfortunately smaller screens don't fit :angry: I have also tried LR's PE screens for Tamiya Late Tiger I but without success!
Back to square one with this. Does anyone manufacture ONLY deck screens for DML Tiger I?

Niko
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 AM
vBench

I'm building one of these myself now, and I too was pissed off about the lack of engine screens. It's a pretty nice kit, but it seems strange that no engine screens were included when they put all the other stuff in. Oh well, just commenting on that. Anyway, a company by the name of Gumka produces a set of engine screens for this kit, #T13. However, they are a pain to find (of course). Rainbow 10 is the only place I have found that carries them. I've never ordered from them, but I hear good things and I suppose I'll have to anyway. Good Luck with your project!

Rainbow 10:
http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 AM
vBench

Hi,
I found a set from HLJ, too:
http://www.hlj.com/product/GMKT-13

Thanks for the tip, Evan!

Niko