Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
vBench

Hey, R.C. that's lots of aftermaket stuff!
One thing is I've read over on ML written by Tom Cockle is that these 36 cm tracks are incorrect- something to do with taken the mesurement without including the pin ends or something. There were only 38 and 40 cm tracks. I too have a couple of these 36cm tracks and I will still use them- who is going to notice?

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 PM

New projects to finish projects I don't think I'll use them all...I'm not that crazy :lol: ...That eduard stuff came in a Tamiya kit that I got when I got my Tristar kit...not to mention some Dragon pz III/IV 40cm tracks

That's interesting to know...do you have I link to it?...I know he would know above everyone else. He is helping out Dragon with the development of their IV E (D too ?) and I can see why after seeing his IV E at Track-Link...

All I know though is that those tracks fit fine, both the kit tracks and the FM tracks. Thank goodness for these...they make life so much easier
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM
vBench

No link but maybe you can try a search- I'm too beat from work.
As I am going to the show in Calgary I may get to see the new Dragon Panzer IV if Tom brings it

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
vBench

I looked around there last night and had no luck...found some cool lookin stuff though...

Tom's Awesome Pz IV D

Tom's Awesome Pz III N
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM
vBench

found this in a quick search
http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?foru...geid=1051798686

Quote:
Tom Cockle
(no login)
Panzer IV tracks May 3 2003, 10:12 PM
The Panzer IV Ausf.A to Ausf.E actually used 38cm tracks. This is detailed in Tom Jentz' Panzer Tracts book on the Panzer IV. Apparently, 36cm tracks were only used on the Panzer III Ausf.A to Ausf.G and StuG.III Ausf.A.

Tom

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM
vBench

Here's a link to some of his III's - which I know you love.
http://www.bentbutnotbroken.com/AFV_german.htm

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
vBench

That makes sense...typical German design lol..."Zis tracks may look die same, but sey are different...sey are die improved model........improved by 2 cms!" :lol:

I have the suspension done, as well as the Fruilys (in coils, sitting in the IV, ready to be used)....It's lookin nice ...I have the engine hatches done as well (my little mod)...I just need to finish the rear (exhaust (both), though for whatever reason, I can't find part c-27 (I believe that's the part) for the smaller exhaust...I may have to scratch build it(?))...My CMK stuff is coming in soon...in a week (hopefully), as well as some extra reference materials

Can't wait for Dragon IV though

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2005, 10:04 PM
vBench

I went ahead and got those darned 38cm tracks from Modelkasten....I got two boxes from Modelpoint ($20 US a pop too...not bad for MK)...I went through them a little while ago and really, a difference can be seen...as small as it is...
MK gives ya the pins for the inside and outside, along with two different kinds of guide horns...they give ya a little guide for 8 tracks at a time...what's interesting is that the little assembly guide actually has 36cm right by where is says 'PzKpfw. III.IV' :lol: I scanned the two pages that they give ya... Rather interesting too...Apparently, you can just use the 36cm anyways lol...They also give ya adapters for fixing your Tamiya drive sprokets....I actually ordered the FM replacement drive spokets too...Just for the sake of curiousity...It's a rather nice sproket :lol:

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2005, 12:43 PM
vBench

R.C.,
I asked Tom Cockle at the Alberta AFV show yesterday about the MK information sheet, and the use of 36 cm tracks with the E's and D's and he said that the data is incorrect and outdated. The best source is the Panzer Tracts book on the Panzer IV from Jentz.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2005, 12:30 AM
vBench

Cool :lol: that is real good to know (it being totally clarified from the best source), but now I wonder about other bits on the chart. I mean, a sheet like that would be great to have for most everyone that really wants to make an accurate Pz/Stug III/IV, but then how accurate is the rest?...One thing that I was wondering about is Tom's IV D that he made (link provided somewhere up there)...He made it with the MK 38cm tracks, but he used the FM 36cm tracks as spares...I guess for the sake on the pins? (those MK SK-57s only have the little tiny holes for those real tiny pins) But then again, the MK 38cm tracks are enough, but you don't have a large margin for error...I guess you can use other brands like DML, Tristar, etc...I can imagine that Tom made sure that the new IV E from Dragon will have 38cm tracks though
Reply With Quote top