Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
vBench

Hi,

I'm working on the DML 1/72 Sturmtiger.

All is OOB except for the zimmerit.

First photo is basic kit layout. Fit is very good, and after I got
used to the metal hull progress went quickly.

I really like the tracks, though metal pins were used to get a
little sag, otherwise they are quite tight in appearance.

Next pic is primed with some zimmerit. For the zimm I use Squadron white putty thinned with finger nail polish remover and apply the trowel marked with a 2mm screwdriver.

This one shows basic camo applied and track pinned. All is still dry fit at this point.

To dull and scale the finish I used a mix or brown and black very, very thin using Acryl airbrush cleaner as a thinner.

The next four show my first pass at weathering this one using pastels both dry brushed and I used a new technique I read about on TL, in which I airbrushed on pastel colored thinner. It didn't work as well for me as mixing water and pastel and letting it dry and then removing, which is where I started. All was cleaned up and blended with dry brushing and then hit with a flat coat. Details will be added and picked out next.

Please hook me up with comment and advice, this is only my third AFV so I could use the help...

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Founder

Looking good what are the tracks made of?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by gordy@Mar 30 2004, 08:49 PM
what are the tracks made of?
Hey Gordy, they are actually vinyl tracks, but these are unlike any otehr I've felt before, they are very pliable and have more weight it seems than others I've had.

They simple feel better.

And after a little priming with Mr. S 1000, they hold paint perfectly.

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 AM
vBench

I think this looks pretty damn good for a new person to armour- and 1/72 scale to boot. On thing though , just as a suggestion- about the ambush dots- I think a brush would have been a more precise way of replicating the small dots in scale, I feel the airbrush dots are a little big. Overall the colours seem a little heavy and dark. That being said its still a nice looking result.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 08:25 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Dragan Send a message via MSN to Dragan
Just one little advice..try to fix tracks on wheels cos it is little funny to se tracks of 1000kg to float over the wheels.
for colours it is naturally to use dark shades for this final period of war (I also use darker shades for final stage of war)
I like it .....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 10:28 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragan@Mar 31 2004, 07:25 AM
Just one little advice..try to fix tracks on wheels cos it is little funny to se tracks of 1000kg to float over the wheels.
for colours it is naturally to use dark shades for this final period of war (I also use darker shades for final stage of war)
I like it .....
Hey PF and Dragan thanks for the feedback.

PF I'm actually afraid of the regular brush, I know it sounds funny, but the acylic paints I use (MM Acryl) do not brush paint well, they are quite thin and translucent. But I think you are right. I was using this as a guide. Anyway, I agree they are way big now that you point it out

As for the dark colors, I think part is my photography, part is the new technique I tried of applying about a 70/30 mix of paint and thinner over the model after initialk painting. The paint colors being about 70/30 black and brown. I picked it up from an article on missing-lynx and I can't remember the author right now, but it was quite helpful.

I like the look, but may have gone a little heavy since I came back over it with dark pastels as well. Weathering is a very hew thing to me so I appreciate all the advice and comments.

Dragan as for the tracks, I will give it a go with some CA or something. I tried hypo needles at the back, but it didn't work as planned and the way the road wheels are laid out with these tracks they have to be exactly right to get the track to thread right. I can get a proper sit to them if I hold them down with a tooth pick, but I've been saving this because I know as soon as I fix them it will be the first thing to come loose because the tracks protrude so far out of the side.

Thanks for the info on the weight though. I wasn't sure about this, I've seen models where the tracks don't touch the wheels and some that do. I figured it was a loose or tight track. I will definately fix this before I finish.

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 12:42 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Donovan@Mar 31 2004, 09:28 AM
I'm actually afraid of the regular brush, I know it sounds funny, but the acylic paints I use (MM Acryl) do not brush paint well, they are quite thin and translucent.

Donavon you may have to be a little flexible to get the right look. From my actual experience Humbrol enamel paint is a joy and a blessing in how wonderfully they work with a good ole' fashoined paint brush. I imagine your choice in Acryllics is to avoid health damaging fumes? You should know if you don't already Acryilic paints are not perfectly safe either when used in an airbrush- the atomization creates little plastic balls that float in the air and without a respirator they may end up in your lung tissue.

The darkness of the model reminds bme of the James Blackwell technique of post shading- and hey isn't part of what we do to try out new things?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by panzerfaust@Mar 31 2004, 11:42 AM

The darkness of the model reminds bme of the James Blackwell technique of post shading- and hey isn't part of what we do to try out new things?
Quick query shows that's the article, he used a Sturmtiger for the example, I'm pretty sure that's how I found it. I like the post shading method, but will have to work on it.

As for Acrylics I didn't know that about them, I just don't like the smell of enamels and I have a window I work next too, but no booth and no respirator. I'll have to get one of those, but fumes from the enamels really give me headaches, but I could brush paint with them I suppose, as you say trying new things...

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
vBench

Here's an example from the back of a book I just picked up today..Vol.IV on the Tiger and Sturmtiger from AJ Press

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2004, 03:03 AM

Excellent work so far Donovan!

I don't work with 1/72 scale, but you're doing a magnificent job with that Sturmtiger. I can't wait for the finished photos.

KingTiger