Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
A nice conversion going on there! I have lots of Sherman part leftovers such as the 5 spoke wheels (from Academy's Sherman kits), Diesel Exhaust (Dragon's M4A3 includes the A2 exhaust as not used), and other bits.

Note that the Formations final drive cover may not fit the Tamiya kit. If you measure it, I can tell you when I measure the Formations part. I believe the Tamiya kit is narrower. If this is so, it may be easier to modify a polystyrene parts by cutting and narrowing behind the vertical bolt strips of the three piece cover.

Last, the term Emcha seems to be based on the phonetic sound of M4 in Russian.

So, now we know you put in some blood, sweat (Florida's heat) and tears (while researching) into this project! It will be fun to follow along.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
This model kills fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
Note that the Formations final drive cover may not fit the Tamiya kit. If you measure it, I can tell you when I measure the Formations part. I believe the Tamiya kit is narrower.
It looks like my hull is 47.5 mm across.

Quote:
If this is so, it may be easier to modify a polystyrene parts by cutting and narrowing behind the vertical bolt strips of the three piece cover
Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Last, the term Emcha seems to be based on the phonetic sound of M4 in Russian.
Da. Sort of. 4 looks like the Cyrillic character "ч" (cha) which stands for ch.

Quote:
So, now we know you put in some blood, sweat (Florida's heat) and tears (while researching) into this project! It will be fun to follow along.

Regards,
The tears are from when my emcha hit the floor. :cry:

I have also learned to wear my mask when sanding Milliput.

Last edited by armor fiend; 08-03-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by armor fiend View Post
It looks like my hull is 47.5 mm across.
I looked over Formations products and they don't have any specifically for the M3 Lee. However, I did pull out their three piece differential cover without bullet splash guard. It measures 44.5 mm across. I was wrong, the Tamiya hull is wider.

I then grabbed the same subject as produced by Chesapeake Model Designs and this measures 43.75mm across.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.
Polystyrene kit three piece differential covers usually have the vertical bolt strips (which makes the item three pieces) as separate parts. Using the placement slot as a cutting guide can help you hide the seams if making it narrower. However, I now see you need to make it wide so this is an ideal place to hide the extra strips you use to widen it.

This can't be done with the resin replacement differential covers as the bolted strips are in place.

Quote:
Da. Sort of. 4 looks like the Cyrillic character "ч" (cha) which stands for ch.
While four in Russian is четыре, the "ч" does look like a four so it could be either way! thanks for pointing it out as I think it makes better sense.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
I looked over Formations products and they don't have any specifically for the M3 Lee. However, I did pull out their three piece differential cover without bullet splash guard. It measures 44.5 mm across. I was wrong, the Tamiya hull is wider.

I then grabbed the same subject as produced by Chesapeake Model Designs and this measures 43.75mm across.
Well, that will save some money. I'd have been pretty put out to get the piece and it's 3mm too small.

Ah, more for me to scratch build.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Used some wire from a bread bag twist tie to make the electrical wire for the tail light.

Sponsons, since Tamiya is known for not bothering with them.

Port lower joint between the hull and the sponsons.

Same thing, starboard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Quote:

So is there any particular reason the US military had three vehicles named the M3, the half track, the Stuart, and the Lee?
I'd say lack of imagination or a big dose of laziness.
The M16 was a halftrack and now it is an automatic rifle.

Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Woo! My Academy M10 "Duckbill" came in. What does that have to do with this project? For starters, the engine in the M10 and the diesel M3s and M4 was the same. Second, it has the proper five-spoke wheels as extras.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
vBench

Hhem, AF, no offense, but the first picture on the last post.. just sucks.. but the others show a nice progress
Arthur

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 AM

No offense taken. I know it sucks. I took several shots, and this was the best. Just couldn't get good lighting. Just trying to show wire.

One thing I'm curious about, is the white dots where the rivets used to be. I shaved it down with the chisel, and then sanded with four different levels. I can't feel anything with my fingertips and the chisel glides smoothly over the spots. Yet, my thinking is that if they were truly flush and smooth, I shouldn't see any spots at all. Any thoughts?

Last edited by armor fiend; 08-14-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 PM

I built the M10 engine, the GM 6046. It seems a little small. Both are supposed to be 1/35.

When I compare the lower hull of the M10 to the M3, the M3 seems longer (it's also about a mm wider), but I don't have the rear or the transmission housing on it to be sure. The M3A3/5 rear deck seems bigger than the diagrams show it in Hunnicutt's Sherman. The diagram shows a 1.04:1 ratio of length to width (49mm long and 47mm wide both the diagram and Photoshop). The M3A4 has 58 mm to 47mm for a ratio of 1.23:1. For the M3/M3A2 its 50mm and 46mm; 1.09:1. The Tamiya rear deck is 53mm long and 46mm wide 1.15:1. I need to lose about half a centimeter off the back.

Last edited by armor fiend; 07-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top