Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor fiend View Post
The more research I do, the more I find wrong with this kit. Why oh why did I ever do any research? It could have been a happy little OTB.
Thats the way of it mate . You need to be like the big names in the hobby and not look/not care about the topic [anyone pumping kits out every two/three weeks has know idea really whats going on ]
Every Tiger I kit needs work to bring it up to spec. Once you know whats wrong all you see is faults .

Build to enjoy would be my tip.

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 AM
vBench

Contact me offsite. I'm building an M31B1 which was based on the M3A3. The engine deck is the same as the M3A5 (available in resin from Cal35). Most other plates were just welded and w/o the bolts.

Here's mine
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5268

As you can see, it wouldn't have been much for me to just do the M3A3 gun tank.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
This model kills fascists

Will do, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Well, I've got some store credit with a local place, and they're ordering me an Academy M-10 Duckbill . . . which has an engine, the same engine that the M3A3 used. My first kitbash. . . . and this was supposed to be a happy little OTB. :lol:

And I got my eye on more aftermarket stuff, barrels, a transmission housing from Formations, and a bogie, wheel and track set (T-41) from DML.

This is turning into a project. I'd still like to build something quick and knock it out (he says taking a look at the KV-1 from Trumpeter).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM

Picture Time

First, some of the errors with the kit.

I haven't seen this muffler on any of the pictures. From every available picture I can find, the mufflers on the diesel M3A3s and M3A5s were the same as on the M-10s and M4A2s. However, I can throw an exhaust deflector in back to hide it. Actually, I could probably by moving the exhaust pipes and using some putty to make it look correct.

The transmission housing is at the wrong angle. This will be fixed when I get the Formation's transmission.

The wheels should have five spokes, not six. This will be corrected with the DML upgrade.

There's a GAP between the transmission and the foredeck! I think I'll just putty that full.

Check out the seem on this turret. In addition, the angel of the curve is too loose and the cupola bulge isn't big enough. Both can be fixed with Milliput.

Not the best quality image, but the pistol port is too low and too far aft. Easy enough to remedy. Putty the hole.

I believe that is it for the most glaring errors. The gunner view port in the turret is apparently at a 45° angle, but that can be gotten around by putting the gun at a 45° also.

Also, the kit comes with the Tamiya vinyl tracks, and they don't connect properly. Also, I don't know if they are T-41 tracks or T-51. They're probably wrong.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 10:58 AM

Now for some conversion pics.

The doors on the late model M3A3/A5s were welded shut or eliminated altogether. So I removed the latches, hinges, and grab bars on the starboard and port sides. In these pics, I've started removing the port rivets.

Starboard

Port

Look ma, no rivets! Where'd they go?

Here they are. A jar full of rivets.

Well, the port side door pistol port was eliminated in late models, so, I popped it out, drilled it out, snapped it out, shaved, filed and rebuilt it with a bit of left over sponson from my emcha (see sig).

I had originally sanded it down some and puttied the gap.

Almost done

Done, sort of. I need to putty behind the door because there are gaps. Also, I'll need to put a line of putty around the door (both sides) for the weld.

I started on the aft deck. I chiseled off the extraneous rivets. The rear deck has some around the edges. On the turret deck, they all need to go except on the right rear. I need some extra fuel caps, which I think I might make out of leftover sprue. Either that or try my hand at reesin casting. I've shaved off the old grill features and will need to putty the gaps.

I'll need to put an exhaust port up here.

That's it for now.

Last edited by armor fiend; 07-30-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
vBench

Nice!

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 12:00 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Mbronen Send a message via AIM to Mbronen Send a message via Skype™ to Mbronen
Looks good.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Discovered another problem with the kit. Look closely where the idler axle should be. There ain't one. 'Nother thing I'm gonna have to scratch build.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Compare the old exhaust to the new exhaust. I removed the various tubes, cut the ends off the top tubes, and drilled them out, then glued them together. In this picture I haven't reassembled the whole muffler system yet.

I disassembled the rear of the tank, both to remove rivets and to get rid of a joint that didn't belong in the M3A3s.

While doing this, I sustained my first injury. That's blood. I also accidentally knocked over my emcha, doing some nasty damage. Luckily I recovered all the pieces.

The results, however, are worth it. I'll need to putty some seems, though.

All the rivets on the upper hull that are supposed to be gone, are gone, though some of the pictures it seems like they are still there.

Now I need to start removing the rivets from the lower hull (I'll spare you those pictures) and adding some up above.
Reply With Quote top