Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

W.I.P. PzKpfw.1 Ausf.A, Second Sino-Japanese War...

...The Rape of Nanking.

This kit really needs to be modified to be able to build it as anythin' else like a DAK vehicle or the version that served in Norway. It seems that Dragon were a little betwixt and between with this kit. Anyway, it's all there on the PMMS site, in the full review of this kit.

What this version of a Pz.Kpfw. 1 will build into, is a very nice hard-edged camouflaged little number, 15 of which were given to the Chinese army in defence against the Japanese. It didn't do too well, all 15 were destroyed!

I have a set of Bison Decals on order, which are totally accurate and will serve this project very well! Here's a link on what i'm talkin' about: http://www.angelfire.com/pro/bison/35016.html

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
die Geisteskranker

Send a message via AIM to Totenhosen
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyrichard View Post
It didn't do too well, all 15 were destroyed!
Maybe it was "operator error"

- Beetlejuice
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM
vBench

Paul

Nice new project It sure is going to make James happy

I read somewhere that the 15 PzKpfw I's didn't travel well and that when they reached China, they were in such bad condition (due to sea salt etc) that the Chinese thought they were given used ones.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lawrence, do you have any info or pics on this subject?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 11:21 AM
vBench

Paul

I should have something. I will dig around and let you know.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 PM
vBench

Paul

Found some photos. Those are Japanese troops in the photos.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 PM
panamadan

Would these tanks be in the pre-war three tone scheme? Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 01:26 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamadan View Post
Would these tanks be in the pre-war three tone scheme? Dan
Dan
I have read that they were delivered in Schwarzgrau.

But according to Bison Decals the Nationalist Chinese Pz I's were in three tone hard edge camo, most likely the original German Reichswehr Buntfarbenanstricht camo.

The decals are for vehicle 314 as shown in the last two photos above. However, I can't seem to make out the camo? The surface looks patchy and I don't know if it is because of the camo or due to mud/dust. What do you guys think?

Paul
The MG in the turret also looks to be different. Bison Decals reckons that they may be Russian DP-28 guns.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 03:23 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah Lawrence, I agree with everythin' you say! I knew about the DP28's and am plannin' on takin' and usin' the very same machineguns included in Tamiya's Russian Assault Infantry. I believe the guns are exactly the same.

It looks like there is a big question mark over the camo' scheme! This has to be the very same images that Bison must have researched, this bein' the '314' marque of armour.

Awesome images Lawrence, I gotta' praise ya' for comin' up with these! fantastic!

These images suggest they were captured, don't they?

Last edited by paulyrichard; 11-22-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 AM
vBench

Paul

Some thoughts

Camouflage or not?
I looked at the images in Photoshop tweaking the contrast etc and I can not see any hard edge camo. It looks to be a single color. Then the question is whether, the Nationalist repainted the Pz I in dark green or left it in Schwarzgrau.

Whilst it's possible that the dust/dirt obscured the camo on the hull, you can see that there is no indication of any hard edge camo on the mantlet front.

Dark green or Schwarzgrau?
Did the Nationalist forces had time to repaint the Pz Is in the standard dark green color for Chinese tanks? The Pz Is were put into action with the 3rd Armored Battalion in Nanking from August to November 1937. But I do not have information on when they were received by the Nationalist forces.

But looking at the front of the mantlet and the undercut of the turret front, you can tell that the color is quite dark. These are areas where there will be less dust/dirt. If I had to speculate, I would lean towards a Schwarzgrau vehicle rather than dark green.

Vehicle numbers
Interesting to note that the vehicle numbers are of different sizes. Either the "1" is too big or the "3" is too small. The "3" seems to be inverted - the top of number is fatter than the bottom. Could this be a result in rushing the Panzers into action hence no time to repaint?

And yes, looks like all the Chinese tankers ran away and abandoned the Panzers!

BTW, Warriors is releasing some Chinese tank crews.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top