Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Dave

I find the Tauchpanzers an interesting and less common variant of the Pz IV.

On the CH/Tristar question, from what I have seen of the CH sprues, I believe that the Tristar has better accuracy. CH have simplified a number of the key Tauchpanzer parts. See the following thread for photos of what I mean:
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...d=85335&page=1

Lawrence

Lawrence:

Thanks for your opinion. The link doesn't seem to be working (I get a message saying that I can't access that page directly), but I was pretty sure that I would buy the Tristar offering anyway (though I love the kits that DML has put out, I'm a bit put off by these "limited edition" kits).

The other Tauch that I have in the works (well, the stuff is all on order) is a Tauchpanzer III as it appeared during trials. New Connection offers a conversion for the DML Panzer III Ausf E (though it is an Ausf F that was used for trials). Since I'm just itching to start that, the Tristar may sit on the shelf for a little while.

Anyway, I don't mean to sidetrack your thread with discussion of another project. Again, thanks for your opinion on the Tauch IV question.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 05:10 AM
vBench

Dave

Try this link:
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...topic_id=85335

I am sure there will be a more in-depth review on PMMS maybe a bit later. But in the meantime, the thread above should provide an overview of what to expect.

Are you going to post your Tauchpanzer on vBench? Converting the Ausf E to Ausf F is simple enough, all you need is the armored brake cooling covers. These should be in the kit but if you need them, let me know. I have some spares.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 AM
vBench

Here's the review of this Tristar kit on PMMS.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co...r/tri35023.htm

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
I got my sample from Pat at Tristar the other day- Wish I had time to build it. I'll have to live vicariously through your build review for now.
Thanks James
It's a nice kit, isn't it It's available for sale in the shops now and I picked up another one today.

Have you given any thought on what version you are going to build?

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 AM
vBench

Quote:
Have you given any thought on what version you are going to build?
No- I haven't even taken the plastic off the box yet.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 12:09 PM
vBench

Step 2 : Hull-1

This is where the old Tristar kit received a lot of criticsms. I am happy to say that the lower panels went together much better than the previous kit.

In my kit the bottom panel front was slightly warped. But this was easily fixed by heating the section with a hair dryer and bending it straight.

Pat was kind enough to offer to swap the part but I declined as this was easily fixed. Thanks Pat Great customer service from Tristar

Before gluing the panels together, I removed all locating stubs for the two internal braces (parts E-1). The original plan was to include the new interior set from VP. This was scrapped after RC pointed out that the ammo bins were for the longer L/43 gun.

There is meant to a gap between rear panel, part A-8 and the bottom plate, part F-1.

As mentioned earlier, the fit is much better, on par with the Pz IV ausf B (but not the 38t's)

Close up of the front joint

Close up of the rear joint

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
vBench

I suggested...Pat should look into the "Warped" issue...my 38t G also have that problem on the bottom piece...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 AM

Lawrence:

Thanks for the generous help. I'm grateful for the pointers and the information. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Tauch build as it progresses.

Quote:
Are you going to post your Tauchpanzer on vBench? Converting the Ausf E to Ausf F is simple enough, all you need is the armored brake cooling covers.
I'm not sure about the vBench. I'm not all that accomplished and I'm a really slow builder (I won't bore you with details of my personal life, but I can only muster a couple of hours a week for the hobby). At a minimum, I'm sure that I'll be pestering everyone for help (it's my first resin conversion) and this will probably necessitate posting some photos (and if I've lead you to believe that my building skills are poor, wait until you see my digital photo skills :-) ).

Again, thanks for all the help.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohannsen View Post
I'm not sure about the vBench. I'm not all that accomplished and I'm a really slow builder (I won't bore you with details of my personal life, but I can only muster a couple of hours a week for the hobby). At a minimum, I'm sure that I'll be pestering everyone for help (it's my first resin conversion) and this will probably necessitate posting some photos (and if I've lead you to believe that my building skills are poor, wait until you see my digital photo skills :-) ).

Again, thanks for all the help.

Dave
Dave

I have a Jagdpanther that is more than three years old. So don't worry about being slow. And everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Post your build and share your experiences with us. I for one, would very much like to see a Tauchpanzer III.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I for one, would very much like to see a Tauchpanzer III.
Lawrence:

I suppose that I could start a vBench thread with a few photos of what comes in the conversion. If one thing then leads to another, then so be it... :-)

Now, let me stop sidetracking this great thread. I won't be starting another project (i.e., the Tristar Tauchpanzer) until I tidy up a few other things, but as I eventually want to tackle this one. Thus, I am really looking forward to watching your work here.

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind words.

Dave
Reply With Quote top