Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 PM
vBench

Question Early production Panzerjaeger I in Africa?

Does anyone know if there were any early production Panzerjaeger I's in North Africa? Early production Panzerjager Is were characterised with a gun shield that did not go all the way around the superstructure (5 panels instead of 7) and had a smaller gun opening.

I have checked all my reference books, Concord book by Tom Cockle, Allied-Axis and Tank Power and can not find any photos of an early Panzerjaeger I in Africa. Does anyone have any information on this?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 01:29 PM
vBench

IDK if these are early, but these are the only two pics of Panzerjagers in Africa that I have....

I'm sure there was an early one there (in Africa) somewhere

~RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 01:48 PM
vBench

Excellent pics RC

But they are the late production vehicles. You can tell by the gun shield extending to the rear corners of the upper hull.

I am starting to wonder if any early prods made it to Africa?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 02:14 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Excellent pics RC

But they are the late production vehicles. You can tell by the gun shield extending to the rear corners of the upper hull.

I am starting to wonder if any early prods made it to Africa?

Lawrence
Now I remember...the second one was the late one that I want to build (in the distant future) and that's why I have what I have (as per our previous conversation)...but ya know, it's possible that the first one may be an early man...I'm not 100% sure, but by looking at it, it's possible (I think that the upper right corner of the shield (from our perspective) is slightly bent which may make it harder to tell)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
vBench

Let me check my reference...when I back home. Are you going to build it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 11:13 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post
Let me check my reference...when I back home. Are you going to build it?
Yup, it's on my drawing board along with 50 other projects! . I want to build a DAK Panzerjager I but early production with the smaller shield.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
vBench

Quote:
Now I remember...the second one was the late one that I want to build (in the distant future) and that's why I have what I have (as per our previous conversation)...but ya know, it's possible that the first one may be an early man...I'm not 100% sure, but by looking at it, it's possible (I think that the upper right corner of the shield (from our perspective) is slightly bent which may make it harder to tell)
On first look, I thought the first one was an early prod as well but if you look at where the bottom of the gun shield ends - it ends near the antenna mount. The early gun shield ends on the same panel as the welded side hatch.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 PM
vBench

Here's a comparsion of an early and late Panzerjager I. The early production is on top and the late one at the bottom.

I have not seen any photos of an early production Panzerjaeger I in Africa.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Yup, it's on my drawing board along with 50 other projects! . I want to build a DAK Panzerjager I but early production with the smaller shield.

Lawrence
...Me too. I got all the "Crazy" Aber set...as well as the Bison decal...and I'm still looking for the replacement barrel for start I would like to build the "Late" version in Africa...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 PM
vBench

Cool

Reply With Quote top