Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
vBench

Great so far, looking forward to updates.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Thanks everyone for your kind words

Today, I made a little progress and want to present it to you.

At first, I Zim'd the dreaded front plate.

It wasn't too difficult at all - take your time and be patient. You got enough time 'till the Tamiya putty hardens. The key's to let it even dry for some time, let it be 10 minutes or even more. In this time, it connects very good to the (roughned!) surface. After that it's very easy to create the structure with the screwdriver. My tactic was to create first the horizantal pattern all over the plate, then do the circles around the bolts.
I think it wouldn't have been possible to achieve this result with my first putty, the acrylic one. So I'm very pleased with my decission to go on with Tamiya Epoxy stuff. It's even better than milliput in my eyes because it sticks much better on the surface.
The three arrows point to the edge where I've to sand down the Zimmerit once dried. There'll also be minor battle damages, soon
Some of the big bolts also have to be cleaned up.

Here are three of the four fender parts ABER provides in their fender PE set for each side. ABER did a great job on those. This was the first time I really needed my Etchmate.

Because the texture was a little overdone at the back of the superstructure, more Mr. Surfacer 500 was added to smoothen it a bit. It's not much but it's right, now. A little bit of sanding must still be done but I consider the structure as finished.
The "rightest" bolt needs still to be replaced, this I'll do later this day.

The last thing I did today was reworking the kit's fenders according to ABER's instruction. After I removed all the not needed parts from the original part and glued it in place, I filled some minor gaps with Mr. Surfacer 500. Now it's drying and will then be sanded.

So that's it, I'm curious to know what you think of the Zimmerit.

Johannes

Last edited by canjuaan; 06-24-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
The Zimmerit looks great and best of all it will be unique.

Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
vBench

Great progress. Done elef w/Aber and had a little problem lining it up. Maybe there was my error, but want to give you a little heads up on it.
And there should be a little gap between the fenders and the body(front section), close the port on the side. So you wont go crazy to line them up perfect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
vBench

Quote:
I'm curious to know what you think of the Zimmerit
I think that it looks great!!!! Big thumbs-up! You're putting together a great looking build, keep it up.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
vBench

Great job on the Zim Johannes!
I've never done Zimmert so ever tip is helpful.

Keep it up,
Manuel
Old 10-19-2007, 06:20 PM
vBench

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

@ Ruslan: Oh dear, I already thought there are some fitting problems with the front fenders when I dry fitted them. You confirmed it. Hopefully it can be easily fixed, the interior will pose a challenge big enough.
By the way, I decided to scratch the interior partly. Both Verlinden and Jaguar are not good enough in some areas and although much can't be seen once finished, it's something I don't want to have and know about Started with the driver's and radioman's compartment and hope to present some progress tomorrow or Sunday.

Good night
Johannes
Old 10-20-2007, 02:59 AM
vBench

Great job on the zimmerit . Any particullar reason why you didn't use the PE fenders from the kit?

\Erik
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 AM
vBench

Thanks Erik
Hm, no. There's not a reason for not using the kit's pe fenders. But ABER provides some more details and those were really cheap (around 8) so I couldn't stop myself buying them.

Greets,
Johannes
Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 PM
vBench

Haven't been doing much today because I was helping a friend of mine with his AFV Tiger I. But as I promised, here are some first scratch-works of the interior.

At first, I made a new place for the driver / radio operator. I used Evergreen plastic sheets.

... fitted in the hull ...

... and taken out. Please note that it's my first scratch work and that it's all but finished. I'm thankful for any criticism on it.

Here are the two bars on the bottom of the compartment still being a bit too long and high. I'll treat that tomorrow. Also visible is the back wall of the compartment which will also be made new from scratch.

Here's the Jaguar side interior part with transmission and radios. It has much better defined detail than Verlinden's counter-part whilst it is still not fitting well in the DML kit and also seems to be undersized.
Does anyone know the radios shown in this pic? I want the enhance them a little bit, maybe with the ABER detail set?! Would this be appropriate?

And the last thing for today: A new frame for the first seat made from the Lion Roar 0.8 mm copper beams I got recently. I can't do much more on them for the moment because I need wider springs for the back of the seat, sitting in between the frame. Got some left from my 234/1 build, but it's looking stupid when widened for the frame.

Let me know what you think.
I hopefully can do some more before I leave again, tomorrow.

Johannes

Last edited by canjuaan; 06-24-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Users like canjuaan's post!