Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey guys,
thanks for your tipps, support and kind words !

Ebbe,
do you have a clear shot of the stowage box? If I would have one, I could either convert one from DML or one from Tamiya or even scratchbuild one.
Stefan is right, I meant the tracks on the front. I received an E-Mail from Ron, telling me that my thought is right. It seems like the rod was fixed in the holes on the hull extensions and held in place with the nuts for the shackles. Pretty cool idea.
About the Feifel gear, I will not put it on, but depict my S33 as the veteran it was after Kursk, so with some of itīs gear missing (something new for me, most of the times I depict my models as they SHOULD look like).
Iīm not too sure if I will add all the casting marks on the equipment. I will wait until next month (this month was expensive enough ) and think about getting Archers Surface Details.
The screws were quite easy, I used a piece of a syringe needle and sharpened it. Next was pressing in the impression of the round part in the plastic (it helps to turn the needle a bit). After this was done, I used a very fine juwelers/watchmaker screwdriver (sharpened as well) to press in the slot. When this was done, I slightly sanded the surface. Thatīs it
If I may give you a tipp for the round, stamped parts for Tigers:
Use a piece of fine wire and wind it around a drill bit to get a circle in the right diameter. Now glue this in place and put some Mr. Surfacer around it. This gives a really nice, stamped impression. I used this a lot on the gasmask canisters from Tamiya.

Steve,
no problem! Getting all the help here, the least I can do is to keep you all updated .

Stefan,
I know about the blocks that were welded in place to keep the gear in place. The ABER-set has some nice parts for them which I will use when I come around to it .
Thanks a lot for the tipp anyway!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Hi Markus,

I think the pictures are fine. Maybe you want to get a dark background paper for having a less bright backlight in the pictures.
Nice work so far, I love all the reference which flows into this build. What kind of super glue do you use?

Johannes
Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
vBench

Hey Johannes,
thanks a bunch my friend.
I tried to work with some darker background, but this means I would need to use more light, which then means the details get washed out. This could be me with my missing photo skills though .
Whenever I come around to use superglue (which isnīt too often), I use three kinds:
A very thin one, which is sold by the hobby shop in Karlsruhe (doesnīt even have a brand),
Uhu Sekunden Alleskleber Gel,
Uhu Plus sofortfest (2 components).
Most of the time I use ordinary plastic glue though as this has two benefits:
I have plenty of time to move the parts, and when I leave some time for the glue to soften the plastic, I can press the PE parts in the soft plastic, which looks like a weld seam after drying.
As you might know, I tend to screw my kits on either a wooden base or a CD-spindle to work on them or paint them. This prevents me (mostly) from breaking parts while handling, so the plastic glue is more than acceptable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Plastic glue for PE? You really never cease to amaze me, my friend
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
vBench

I always thought you knew this already...
One thing you should do is to use some coarse sandpaper (I use 320) to roughen up the surface of the PE, which gives them some more grip.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Markus: You got an PM in your mail. Hope they help you with tackeling the stowage bin?!
Thanks for the tip of the Feifels. Yes during december 1943 they did not use them and I get an impression that they took the Feifels off during at least winter. If you look at the Kharkov Tigers non has the Feifels due the absence of dust. It makes them look more battle hardened and the S33 was really a veteran surviving at least Kursk battle till december.
Ah now I understand the hull thought. Yes this one can be made just out of stretched sprue and something to simulate the bolt at the end.
Yes I understand this month was very expensive too for me and due the hollyday I got less in payment =O(
Regards and keep us updated.
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 PM
vBench

Dear Markus.

...the screws on the barrel look amazing...congratulations on the P.E. job...first rate!

All the best!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM
vBench

Two good tips in one reading...making the screws and using plastic cement for PE.

Thanks Markus,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Markus: I have made a sketch for three figures for your S33. One paratrooper and two crewfigures. Would you like me to do them for you?
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM
vBench

Hey Guys,
sorry for the late reply...
Days have been a bit busy again, so not to much modelling Iīm afraid.
After doing this:

for almost 12 hours, I canīt handle any small parts .

Iīm really happy that all of you seem to enjoy this blog and try to help me wherever you can. Thanks a lot!!!

Luiz,
thanks a bunch mate!

Rick,
to be honest, the trick with the screws isnīt from me. I read about it first in one of Ospreyīs Modelling books. As far as I remember it was from Steven van Beverenīs "Modelling the Panther tank".

Ebbe,
first of all, thanks a lot for your E-Mail! Sorry I didnīt reply yet, I want to take my time for a proper reply, so it usually takes me some time to write one .
Thanks a lot for the offer! As I already got the figures for this one, I will keep your offer in mind for my next build . Cheers mate, I really appreciate it!!!
Reply With Quote top