Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Got this today and I can tell you Marcus it is load of things in the set. If I manage this set in the future I probably need to change my name into Sam Dwyer =)
Anyways looks like a good set. Regarding the shackles I will have it in my mind when I start with that Tiger.

Herzlige Grüsse
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey Ebbe,
I agree with you, the Tamiya-Tiger is a bit older, but still very good. It needs some tweaking, but you get it cheaper than the DML ones and it´s great fun as most Tamiya kits.
Hopefully the armor will fit OK or better good.
You know, I had the smoke dischargers and the S-Mine launchers in my hands on saturday and I agree with you, they are beautiful (and pretty cheap, both were 7,50€, which is more than fair). The only problem is that I´m a bit worried that they are overly complicated to put together. I knew Elefant had a pretty good set as well years ago, but I couldn´t find one of these sets. As it seems now, I will use the parts ABER offer and maybe combine them with the ones from TMD.
Regarding the Shackles, if you (or anybody else here on PA) needs some of them, just let me know. I think I will leave eight for me, which means I got 12 left .
Herzliche Grüße as well .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 PM
vBench

Hi Marcus, have you got a copy of the book THE MODELER'S GUIDE TO THE TIGER TANK? One of the Tigers is the same as you are doing.
If you don't have it PM me and we can talk .
Regards Steve

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
vBench

Wow! What is that thing? "Anti-personnel mine discharger"? Someone could explain that to me, I've never heard of it. They look like smoke dischargers, though...
Arthur

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
vBench

Hey Guys!

Steve,
I used this book years ago for my first try at S33. Unfortunately, it seems like the one in the book has some flaws as well and so is not of much use. But thanks a bunch for you offer!

Arthur,
as far as I know, if there was danger from enemy soldiers around the tank, they fired a S-Mine (Schützenmine) from the launcher, which exploded in the air. The effect was similar to Handgrenades with all it´s shrapnels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
Arthur: Just like Markus wrote they where for close defence of the tank and was the only tank that used them in this arrangement anyway. The S-minen was infact used by the troops as well. Similar to perhaps a product you might know, Claymore mines? The S-minen was infact so sucessfull other contries tried to replicate it. Countries like Sovjet and USA. The mine would be trigged by a wire or the prongs that can be attached and it would fly up into the hight of your waste and explode. I think the US called it Bouncing Betty for taking the jewels away, nasty.
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 PM
vBench

Oh, that! I didn't know that S-mine = Bouncing Betty! now it is all very clear, I knew this mine before, so thanks for clarification.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 PM
vBench

Alrighty then, it took me a bit longer than expected, but here are the first pics.
The reference pics were sent to me via Ron Hetherington. I hope he don´t mind me posting them here.

Now to my build.
As I told you already, I started the build a whole while ago, so some parts were already glued in place (unfortunately). Ron told me that I would need a bigger stowage box, but as I already glued one of DML´s Tiger late in place (will use the ABER one for this kit) and as I haven´t any of the bigger ones, I will keep this one.
Next problem is the engine deck layout. It seems as mine isn´t totally correct.
The last problem (on which I´m not too sure) is the Y-shaped piece on which the tube for the Feifel-Filters go. I was told that this should be in place, but as it is an area that can not be seen on the pics and as every Tiger carried a plate to plug the opening (even though I think it was only used for river crossings), I think I will leave it plugged shut with said plate.
What I did during the last session was to assemble the barrel (which is simply beautiful), the tracks (beautiful) and removing the brackets for the smoke dischargers, leaving some remnants where they were cut away with, I think, a blowtorch. After that, I added some weld beads with stretched spure.
Lastly, as the TMD-armorplate hasn´t arrived yet, I decided on another solution (I just wanted to glue the plate in place). I removed the drivers optic from the Tamiyapart, drilled two holes (with three different sized bits) and glued a leftover piece from one of DML´s Tigers in place. Should have had this idea earlier. Anyone here need a TMD-plate?
When the plate was in place, I assembled on of ABER´s mudguards. As you see on one of the reference pics, S33 had only one during the battle and this is how I want to depict it. It looks like, at least one, of the rear mudguards is missing. I´m still deciding whether or not I will leave both of them off.
A lot of text but I guess you´re a bit more interested in some pics, eh?

Oh, almost forgot, the weld beads on the turret and the hull were made with the ones from Archer. I know, I´m lazy .

Ok guys, as usual, comments and critics are more than welcome. Please guys, if you see something that needs to be changed, let know.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM
vBench

Well done, very clean.
I can't wait to see some paint on this .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM
vBench

Dear Markus.

I enjoy a lot your modelling style...very clean,always...and I´m hoping to see a great job on this one!

Thanks for sharing and best regards my friend!

Luiz
Reply With Quote top