Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-16-2009, 11:30 PM
panamadan

Chad, What a differance from the old Tamiya kit! Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
breaker breaker.......

The radio is in! I decided to stop avoiding this and knock it out. Actually wasn't that bad but the wires were pretty fiddly. Only fit problem was the speaker stand. The aber piece was too short by a considerable margin. Not sure if the radio is too high but I don't think so from my references so I just scratched a new one from some spare brass parts and a bit of solder. The power supply cables were the toughest since they are underneath and/or behind everything and are of a larger gauge of wire but I managed to get them in place without tearing everything apart or at least not too many times I didn't have any wire that was small enough for the leads but I cut up some speaker wire and voila! If I've hooked anything up the wrong way, feel free to point it out although I had just assumed stomp on it as try to redo it! I would like some input on where the headset would be plugged into this thing?

Anyway, another step completed. I've started in on the final ammo rack and should have it in place in the next couple days and that will finish up this side. No vision block over here, got tired of making them and thought it would look more interesting with at least one missing. Guess I'll try to work on the floor and the bulkhead in the fighting compartment next as that will finish up this stage.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 PM
vBench

HI Chad

Mate it looks bloody great, very tidy work, and great photography, as usual

Sam
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Hey Chad,
this looks amazingly nice!
Great work.
I´m afraid to say so, but you made some mistakes with the wiring.
I took the liberty and used a pic from you to show you where each wire is supposed to sit:

The others are correct.

I hope it´s OK for you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
vBench

I went back and took another look at some things after reading your post and after some thought, I have to say that I agree and disagree. Looks like I have indeed put the speaker wire in the wrong input as it should be in the center and not the bottom however, I don't think the headset and microphone plug directly into the radio when you're running an intercom system like this or else you could only have one headset/mic running and not the one in the driver's compartment. (you may already know this and may simply have been pointing out the bottom two wires being backwards) The radio outs would go to the intercom and then from there, out to the mic/headset and also to the front intercom junction for the driver's mic/headset. All of this would be routed through the intercom box wouldn't it? Again, I am certainly no expert, so anyone that knows how this stuff is all supposed to work, feel free to chime in. I don't want to change anything without knowing exactly what should be changed. From the diagram, I would think simply swapping the two lower outputs from the radio that I have run to the conduit and up to the intercom junction box would make it correct? Then I can add my headset if I add one, direction from the intercom junction box. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM
vBench

Upon further review, I do have the speaker in the center input. I was just looking at the pic and it's hard to tell but it's in the middle input so maybe there really is no problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
vBench

Hey Chad,
yes, that is correct, the drawing shows all very clearly.
I didn´t know that you will use the intercom system, or overread it, which kind of works like a router (I hope this is the correct english word).
My drawing is the layout for direct plugging of the headset/mike/speaker.
Sorry for distracting you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 08:45 PM
vBench

Almost forgot,
this is the Diagram I used:
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 AM
vBench

No problem, I appreciate your input and you're 100% correct for a singular application. As you can tell by my rapid responses, I was a bit insecure about my wiring but I think we're on the same page now. Only thing I don't know now is where the headset/mic actually plug into the intercom junction box! Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM
vBench

Hey Chad,
on the junction box, there are sockets in which the plugs of the headset and mike should be put in. The position can be seen on the diagram you posted.
Reply With Quote top