Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM
vBench

Panzer 1 Ausf.A Ambulance Version.

I've rather stalled on my PAK 40 project for the moment and as it was my birthday last week went to my nearest decent hobby shop which just happens to be 14 miles away!

As far as the UK is concerned, Mr. Models in Bearwood, near Birmingham, is a surviving and thriving example of model shops as I knew them in my youth, some 30 odd years ago. It really is the traditional Aladdin's cave.

Anyway, after scanning box after box for potential purchases I settled on the Italeri Pacific Sherman and the subject of this bench, the MB Panzer 1 Ausf. A Ambulance Version.

I opened the box at home and thought nice, looks a neat little thing (sorry, no sprue shots), bit of flash here and there but nothing out of the ordinary. Had a good look at the parts over the next couple of days and read and re read the instructions before eventually beginning to attack the plastic at the beginning of this week.

Firstly, I'm not the most skillful modeller by any stretch of the imagination and because of the restrictions to the fine motor movements in my fingers I'm also pretty clumsy. I realised straight away that with the fit issues present it was going to test my skills and to no small extent my patience.

I managed to get the basic hull together and then realised, that even with the figures sat around the turret ring, there would be an easy view into a vast empty space. At this point, I thought is it even worth bothering now? I've never scratchbuilt an interior and had no idea how to go about sourcing the parts necessary. However, the stubborn gene came to the fore and I decided I'd give it a go.

I found some references on the net but decided there was no way I could build to that degree of accuracy so my intentions are to just give a representation of a busyish interior.

First step was to add what I would call the two axles which run across the floor of the vehicle and these were cut from some brass rod. The next phase was to add some kind of internal structure which I hacked together from various forms of plastic strut.

The transmission is very visible and runs the length of the vehicle before disappearing into the closed engine bay (and that's exactly how it's going to stay!) This basic shape was achieved again by using brass rod, plastic strut, lumps of plastic out of the spares box and, finally, a piece of wood! There is still a great deal of work to do in this area but the basic shape is coming together.

The next area to look at was the upper hull and I needed to place a shelf and a wall at the rear of the upper hull. This was again done with plastic strut, and this time a doctor's spatula. I added a few bits of spare PE for brackets (need to add more) and fixed it in place with superglue. Again, much more work is needed in this area but it is gradually coming along.

The final shot is of the whole thing just loosely fitted together and viewed from the front.

I realise this is nowhere near the standards I see regularly posted here, but for my first modest effort I have to admit I'm pleased with the progress so far. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I'm here with another instalment.

Just like to say thank you to everyone on planetArmor for posting such inspirational work on here and setting standards which most of us can only dream of.

Regards,

kev35

Nicholas Monsarrat - The Cruel Sea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM
vBench

Kevin,

You're making good progress...I think your doing great.

Your use of various "found" materials really reminds me of my modeling youth...I grew-up in the middle of nowwhere, no nearby hobbyshop, of course no internet...I've whittled wood, cut cans, broke plastic, bent wire, whatever...trying to fashion some sort of item or another.

One word of advice about the wooden items that your using...you will need to really sand them out and get a good smooth seal on them, otherwise you'll have woodgrain showing on what should be a metal object.

Keep it up.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
vBench

Nice Start!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
die Geisteskranker

Send a message via AIM to Totenhosen
I'm intrigued. Please keep the progress shots coming!

- Beetlejuice
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Hi Kevin!

Great to see something new and different at the vBench. Good Job so far! The interior detailing is coming along nicely; old school scratchbuilding, my favorite! My hat is off to you. Anybody can put together a model and use interior detail kits and have it look good, but it takes determination and patience to make things yourself.
I agree with Rick on the wooden parts, you can always cover them with a thin coat of putty and sand them to hide the wood grain.
I hope to see some more updates soon. Keep going!

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
vBench

Hi Kevin

Nice to see some traditional model building. Keep up the good work

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 02:58 PM
vBench

Good stuff Kevin, keep it up. You don't need all this new-fangled brass stuff to make a decent model.

Which part of Brummie land do you hail from then?

Cheers _Andrew
Old 04-26-2007, 03:46 PM
vBench

Thank you all for the kind comments, it is appreciated. I must admit I am secretly enjoying the challenge, but you wouldn't think so if you walked past my house and heard all the swearing. I have made one quite staggering discovery.... the carpet monster can actually be your friend!

To Andrew Hall.

How dare you Sir! I'm black Country born and bred (Walsall in fact). Brummie ideed.... mutter mutter........

Should have another update on my progress (or lack thereof) over the weekend.

Regards,

kev35

Nicholas Monsarrat - The Cruel Sea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Kevin

You are doing great!! By the time you finish this you'll feel like you have conquered Mt. Everest. Just keep going and don't stop no matter what. In a little time you'll be scratch building everything you need.

Driver

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Cool

I like it Kevin, good detail work...

Scratchbuilding is REAL modeling...:>}} You gonna add the kit figures?

Keep us posted...!!

Paul
Reply With Quote top